Ogunley C A N N O T be Traded! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ogunley C A N N O T be Traded!

Cranx

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I just want to clear something up here for all of you who keep talking about "trading" Ogunleye for [fill in the blank with your favorite trade scheme.] Ogunleye is not under contract and, therefore, cannot be traded to anyone for anything.

At this moment, Ogunleye is set to become a restricted free agent (RFA) as of March 3rd meaning that his contract expired as of the end of the season past. Unless Miami signs Ogunleye to a long term deal some time prior to that date, they have no more right to trade him than do the Miami Heat! As of March 3rd Ogunleye is free to negotiate a contract with whomever he wishes and, as a RFA, the 'Fins will, in turn, receive compensation commensurate with the RFA amount they tender him (either a 1st round tender or a 1st & 3rd round tender-- the difference, I believe, is approximately $400k.)

So to recap, Ogunleye is not under contract with the Miami Dolphins, therefore they do not hold his rights, therefore he cannot be traded. With that said, please stop tossing his name out there as trade bait since he simply is not!
:nono:

If a team decides to sign OGun, then they can negiotiate the compensation. If he is offered at the premium then we will get the typical 1st and 3rd, but there have been cases where different deals were negiotiated....ie, Wilkerson from Cin, Sean Gilbert.

I've never seen another player offered as compensation and am not sure that there is anything that prevents it from happening, but Wally would have to be signed to a deal first before anything can happen.

Most of the rumors i heard were people saying we could get a 1st and a 3rd for him which is what you just said so i dont see what you are trying to say. I think most knew he wasnt getting traded for another player cause that doesnt ever happen in the NFL.

Originally posted by finfan77
If a team decides to sign OGun, then they can negiotiate the compensation.

That's exactly what was said in the Peerless Price and Laveranues Coles articles last year...

can we sign and trade him? can I just outright trade him? does this affect my fantasy football pool? I can't trade him there either? WELL, WTF!!! can I agree to trade him with someone else who agrees to trade him or can I trade him to someone and trade his #1/#3 picks to another team for the hell of it? Can I can I can I?

THANK YOU FOR starting this thread :) Perhaps it will clear up some misconceptions.

I do not like green eggs and ham, I do not like them sam I am. I can not trade Ogun the man, He has his choice cuz he's the man, he can play with a cat, he can play with a bat, he can play here or there, he can play anywhere.....I just don't know, I just can't say where Ogun may be playing today,....I have no right, it's not my choice, I think I'll yell at the top of my voice.....I want 2 picks on this draft day, a #1 and 3 if you please I say.

from clump

Yes, O-Gun can be traded. O-Gun would be required to sign the tender offer with Miami. Of course, Miami and the other team would need to agree on the trade AND I'm sure the acquiring team would already have a long-term deal negotiated with O-Gun and agent. If Miami were to tender with 1st & 3rd and a team were to offer less, then it's up to Miami to decide whether it's ample compensation.

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/s...31902&s=&perpage=15&pagenumber=1&display=show

Yes, that is different.......this thread I think is relating to some people blatantly thinking that we can just "trade" Ogun to whoever we want to for whatever we want.....which we CAN'T.

Again, we can only send him where he wants to go.......not necessarily where we want him to or to help us foster another deal...

it is a little like the Henson situation... the Texans can only trade Henson if they can get him to sign a contract before the draft... and he would only do that if he is being traded to a team he wants to play for

Originally posted by jbond
Yes, that is different.......this thread I think is relating to some people blatantly thinking that we can just "trade" Ogun to whoever we want to for whatever we want.....which we CAN'T.

Again, we can only send him where he wants to go.......not necessarily where we want him to or to help us foster another deal...

Exactly!

As to the sign and trade thing, yes, that is a possibility, but my main question would be why? Ogunleye can negotiate a contract with whomever he wishes and that team is going to have to give up compensation in the form of draft picks, to the 'Fins if they sign him. At this point, Ogunleye controls he own destiny and, assuming he receives offers from other teams, can sign with anyone he pleases. Why on Earth would he want to give up that control so the 'Fins can determine where he ends up? It simply makes no sense.

The only negotiation that may take place if another team wants Ogunleye will be if the new team (whoever that might be) tries to negotiate a different compensation structure (i.e. a 1st and a 4th instead of 1st and 3rd rounders-- assuming a 1st and 3rd round tender) with the 'Fins in their attempts to acquire Ogunleye. Otherwise, the ball's entirely in his court and, unless he's an idiot, he's not going to have it any other way.

Basically the obstacles to trading Ogunleye are not big. If there's a team that wants him in trade, chances are they were already thinking of negotiating with him as an RFA. Or maybe the only reason they were not going to do that was because they were not in a position to give a 1st and 3rd (ie have no 1st, or have no 3rd, or the 1st they have is too high). So if anything opening up Ogunleye to a trade deepens the pool of bidders for Ogunleye, and therefore can only increase the kind of offers that Rosenhaus receives for Ogunleye's services. If Ogunleye wants to try and discourage Miami from talking trade with the particular team we are speaking with he can do that, but since the team we speak with inevitably WANTS Ogunleye, I doubt that would happen unless contract negotiations between Rosenhaus and the team hit a serious snag. On the other hand, Miami has the power to interfere with Ogunleye's free negotiations with another team that would presumably pay a 1st and 3rd for his services. They can make a call and say listen, you're gonna have to make that contract AWEFUL big cuz we're gonna match it. The other team doesn't wanna make the contract aweful big, cuz of their own cap issues, so they may drop negotiations altogether because then Miami can let them sit for a week of free agency with their money tied up in the offer sheet, only to have matched it at the last possible moment...and that week without money in free agency may or may not cause the team to lose a guy or two they wanted to get.

Yes, we can "just trade" Ogunleye. Sign and trades are done fairly frequently, as far as dealing RFAs goes...meaning RFAs don't switch teams that often, but when they do, a sign and trade is fairly common. Its not that the premise of this thread is wrong. The Dolphins can't trade him the same way they would trade, say, Sam Madison. But the barriers to a trade don't even make a deal unlikely, or unsavory. So, its just one or two more hoops to jump through, not a very big deal. If Miami wants it to happen and the other team wants it to happen, it will happen.

Ogunleye's "rights" can be traded only if he agrees and signs a wavier. Once he signs a contract he can be traded unless he negotiates a no trade clause.

Back
Top Bottom