Ogunleye Just Ran Out Of Time! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ogunleye Just Ran Out Of Time!

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Adawale Ogunleye is no longer a RFA. The 1st and 3rd tender is off, and he belongs to us. Now we can either trade him or sign him long term. I hope we sign him to a long term deal, unless we can get a top 15 pick.

Originally posted by Williams34Phins
he should play for the league minimum and be happy,

I'm sure that it's exactly what you'd do. You'd also give half your salary to charity, never drink a drop of the alcohol, and always be in bed by 10:30. :rolleyes: ;)

Ogunleye was told last year that he "would be taken care of" when he proved he could do it for another year and he almost doubled his sacks in 2003.

He has done what Miami asked him to do and now it's pay day.

Ogunleye deserves money.

i agree, but does he deserve kearse or winstrum money?? Is that what he trying to go after?? Or do u think he would take a mediocure salary as long as it was long term??

I would like to keep him, but at what price?

If I were Wale, I would absolutely feel I was worth Wistrom money if not better money than that. What has Grant done in comparison to Ogunleye? I think that the Dolphins could get a discount on the going rate because they could sell him on the possibility of a ring that a Chicago or a Minnesota probably can't sell as well and because they took care of him when he was hurt. That still isn't going to amount to a huge chunk of change. If I were a loyal employee of company x and company y was willing to pay me 15% more, I'd be at company y in a heartbeat. I don't think it's right to think it's wrong for Wale to behave in the same manner.

Ogunleye also signed a contract... you should be loyal to that. When that contract is up, behave how you want and make another choice. Making 1.8 mil won't kill him it's still more money than most people see in their life. Ogunleye is one of my favorite players on Miami and I would like to see him stay for his career, but holding out (agent and his plans to if no new contract) is unprofessional.

thanks for the feedback guys, I keep going back and forth debating whether or not I would want him to go. As guess only time will tell. 2 2nd roud picks does sound nice though.

Originally posted by NorthFinFan85
Ogunleye also signed a contract...

Yeah -- that deal is done. Thus, the free agent in restricted free agent.

you should be loyal to that. When that contract is up, behave how you want and make another choice.

That's what he's doing here. He can comply with the CBA by signing the tender and playing the season out, or he can comply with the CBA by asserting his right to sit for a big part of the season and come in for 6 games. That choice is his alone.

Making 1.8 mil won't kill him it's still more money than most people see in their life.

That's 1.8 million before the taxes, Drew's cut, and all the other people who have undoubtedly leached on to the money train that Wale represents. My best guess is that we'd be shocked by how little of that Wale sees. That goes for virtually all pro sports players, though.

Ogunleye is one of my favorite players on Miami and I would like to see him stay for his career, but holding out (agent and his plans to if no new contract) is unprofessional.

I just don't see how this is unprofessional. If you're going to apply that label, go tell Duce Staley he was unprofessional. Wale has his rights, and he'll assert them in the way he calculates is best. Nobody has the right to ask more of him than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Jimmy James
If I were Wale, I would absolutely feel I was worth Wistrom money if not better money than that.

No he is not. All these big a.ss contracts signed this year are going to come back and bite these teams in the a.ss. The CBA has not been extended and quite frankly I think the salary cap is near it's peek. I don't see the NFL getting as good a tv contract as they did last time as every network is taking a bath on it.

We also have 2 very highly paid guys in Thomas/Taylor. We have big money to pay out soon for Chambers/Surtain not to mention come up with a solid contract for McMicheal. Question is if we sign Ogun also where does it leave money for elsewhere?

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

No he is not. All these big a.ss contracts signed this year are going to come back and bite these teams in the a.ss. The CBA has not been extended and quite frankly I think the salary cap is near it's peek. I don't see the NFL getting as good a tv contract as they did last time as every network is taking a bath on it.

Let's get one thing straight: I didn't say that I felt any DE was worth Wistrom money or Kearse money. I said that if I were in Wale's shoes, I would strongly consider firing my agent if he told me he couldn't get me a Wistrom-like deal as a UFA. Despite what you say about TV, somebody will pay Wale that sort of cash, particularly if he plays close to the full year like I think he probably will and puts up another impressive sack total. I hope the Dolphins wouldn't be that irresponsible with their money, but that's really something that has pleased me about the 'phins in the cap era -- they have erred on the side of letting a guy go or not having him sign instead of overspending to keep/land him.

We also have 2 very highly paid guys in Thomas/Taylor. We have big money to pay out soon for Chambers/Surtain not to mention come up with a solid contract for McMicheal. Question is if we sign Ogun also where does it leave money for elsewhere?

This is why I think Wale gets traded this year or walks next year. I don't particularly like the chances of getting anything done with him long term.

When a DE and CB put up big numbers and make big plays throughout the season in a "Miami Defense", that player deserves big big money. Miami does not blitz like most teams do and it puts ALOT of pressure on Taylor and Ogun to get to the QB.

Madison and Surtain have big contract (rightfully so) and so should Ogun.

Hey, Ogunleye would be making more than what Portis would have made had he stayed in Denver... of course he whined his way to the skins. He is a great back and found a way to get traded to a team that would pay him the big bucks... guess you can't blame him.

Back
Top Bottom