Ogunleye Just Ran Out Of Time! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ogunleye Just Ran Out Of Time!

Originally posted by NorthFinFan85
Hey, Ogunleye would be making more than what Portis would have made had he stayed in Denver... of course he whined his way to the skins. He is a great back and found a way to get traded to a team that would pay him the big bucks... guess you can't blame him.

No, I don't blame him. He made a little noise about holding out that seemed a bit unseemly to me given that he was under contract, but he backed off of that relatively quickly. I'm no Portis fan based on what I have read about what he did to Willis McGahee, but I think it's a gross mischaracterization to call what happened Portis whining. If anything, I think Champ Bailey was making more noise.

I find it annoying when players hold out of a contract or when they do too much to complain about the RFA tender or the franchise tag tender that they get (see J. Trotter), but I don't think Wale has sniffed that line yet. Time will tell if he does...

Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS
When a DE and CB put up big numbers and make big plays throughout the season in a "Miami Defense", that player deserves big big money. Miami does not blitz like most teams do and it puts ALOT of pressure on Taylor and Ogun to get to the QB.

Madison and Surtain have big contract (rightfully so) and so should Ogun.

Guess I have never been a big fan of athletes "deserving" big $. Probably the only thing I don't like about sports, besides cheating (steroids). How much does someone deserve? Paying 7, 10, 15, 20 mil to get you to play (baseball is the worse at this).

I hope we can find a way to keep him with us for good. JT needs him, Pat needs him and Sam needs him. Our whole defence is better with him in there.

Ozzy rules!!

Originally posted by Jimmy James

No, I don't blame him. He made a little noise about holding out that seemed a bit unseemly to me given that he was under contract, but he backed off of that relatively quickly. I'm no Portis fan based on what I have read about what he did to Willis McGahee, but I think it's a gross mischaracterization to call what happened Portis whining. If anything, I think Champ Bailey was making more noise.

I find it annoying when players hold out of a contract or when they do too much to complain about the RFA tender or the franchise tag tender that they get (see J. Trotter), but I don't think Wale has sniffed that line yet. Time will tell if he does...

I would agree with you on what you said... time will tell. Whining/complain are both too strong words for what I was trying to say.

Guess I have never been a big fan of athletes "deserving" big $. Probably the only thing I don't like about sports, besides cheating (steroids). How much does someone deserve? Paying 7, 10, 15, 20 mil to get you to play (baseball is the worse at this).

There are basically 3 entities involved in the professional sports equation: the fans, the owners, and the players. The fans bring in the money thanks to their interest, either in the form of network TV money or money that comes directly out of their wallets. The owners and players would be idiots to not maximize that revenue stream to their mutual benefit. If you take that to be true, then the money either has to stay with the owners, go to the players, or go to both of them in some blended fashion.

"Deserves" is an awfully loaded word because I think we would all acknowledge that the fireman down the street or the teacher at the local school deserve more than Randy Moss does for playing a game. The question isn't whether athletes deserve the money more than those public servants -- it's whether they deserve that share of the money more than the owners do. My answer is yes they do. The owners are essentially just the middle men, and they get a big enough share as it is. I'm not going to complain at all when the people who do the entertaining get a decent amount of the gate for that entertainment.

Ogunleye is a stud at DE and has played very well the past two years but our defense is already loaded as far as big $ salary goes. Frankly, I rate guys like Chambers, McMichael and Ricky Williams(never know when we'll have to extend or restructure his contract) a lot higher in importance to this team than our second best DE. I hope RS will get a 1st or early 2nd for him. That's just me though.

"but Rosenhaus said he still hoped the Dolphins might trade Ogunleye before the draft next week. "
From the sentinel

Rosenhaus, you're a jerk but I hope you can make it happen.

yea, hes a jerk for wanting to make him and his client money?

i thought hundreds of people made it clear already that whats best for his client and himself doesnt make him an as.shole

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

No he is not. All these big a.ss contracts signed this year are going to come back and bite these teams in the a.ss. The CBA has not been extended and quite frankly I think the salary cap is near it's peek. I don't see the NFL getting as good a tv contract as they did last time as every network is taking a bath on it.

We also have 2 very highly paid guys in Thomas/Taylor. We have big money to pay out soon for Chambers/Surtain not to mention come up with a solid contract for McMicheal. Question is if we sign Ogun also where does it leave money for elsewhere?

Why so pessimistic???

The TV contract is the biggest revenue souce I believe but not the only one. Most would agree that the economy was in recession last year and the salary cap went up $5.575 million. From $75.007 to $80.582 which is a 7.4% increase.

Both McMicheal and Surtain are signed through 2005. Chambers is popular but has some room to improve before he is considered a pro-bowl caliber player.

True the team would have cap problems if Thomas and Taylor had career ending injuries in the near term. Every team in the league faces the same disaster if their highest paid players careers are cut short. I doubt a great team could be assembled with that kind of thinking to running the salary cap.

One more point. If the salary cap doesn't go up there are no increases in salaries. Look at what is happening to minimum salaries and rookie contracts now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, Atila, but the fact is that Punk Drew's tactics of negotiating in the press with those azzinine statements irk many of us...that is why he gets bashed all the time on these boards...When he says that Ogun will sit out the season and not return until the 10th week, he makes people mad because that doesn't help his client and certainly does not help the team...If he did this, (heldout), who would gain by it.....

1) Ogun gets a "reputation" as hard in negotiations and teams will shy away from him, meaning that he probably will not get as big a payday as he expects.
2) He puts up less stats, of course, and his value to other teams diminishes, making his potential payday less.
3) If he does not stay disciplined in his work ethics on his own (which is entirely possible, being away from the team) and when he returns after the 10th week, due to being out of it, he gets hurt...(typically hammys and knees due to the inactivity and lack of contact). This hurts his value.
4) Obviously, he is a talented end, the team will miss possibly 10 of his potential sacks and his run disruption, but there are people who will fill in for him and we will get some production from them (David Bowens was slated for that spot before his knee injury).
5) Because of his holding out, the Fins will be less likely to be as generous with him as they might be now due to the crap (and he has said he wants to stay here)....that would cost him as well.

It is a lose-lose situation and one that even Punk Drew knows will hurt his client more than help him...RS will not give in to this kind of pressure. Drew needs to learn that negotiations take place in an office somewhere, not on TV or in the papers...

Originally posted by Jimmy James

I'm sure that it's exactly what you'd do. You'd also give half your salary to charity, never drink a drop of the alcohol, and always be in bed by 10:30. :rolleyes: ;)

I really would do this.... my first year (if I was a college stand out) I would want like 6 mill or 7 mill the first year... to ensure my financial standing... and then I'd play for league minimum or close to it... I just want enough to the family is alright, can't take the money to the grave so I dont need 15 mill a year.

Drew is just doing what he gets paid to do...take care of his player and get him the most he can get for him. As for Ogun, he has demonstrated that he should get a hefty deal. We just don't have the $ to invest that much more on D, as the disparity is rediculous. It's a shame, but a fact unfortunately. If we get a top 20 1rst or a 2nd and a 4th or something along those lines, I'd jettison the guy in an instant as we have got to get something for him. I dont want some guy out of shape coming in for the last few games which is what he'll be. What if we allocate him to Europe? Would we then retain his rights next year since he never suited up for us? I would assume he would refuse to play there. Also, if we were to lose him next year, we wold receive nothing in comp picks the next year since he was an UFA which I think is right.

Ogunleye also signed a contract... you should be loyal to that. When that contract is up, behave how you want and make another choice. Making 1.8 mil won't kill him it's still more money than most people see in their life. Ogunleye is one of my favorite players on Miami and I would like to see him stay for his career, but holding out (agent and his plans to if no new contract) is unprofessional.

OGUN has NOT signed a contract. He is currently between contracts. Last year he was under a one-year exclusive free agent contract. We have offered him a RFA tender, but he has signed nothing. WE have his rights, but by no means has he signed any current contract with us.

The problem is Seattle's GM needs to be kicked in the head. That Wistrom contract was flat out STUPID. His agent even said that he was going to throw out a $10 million signing bonus as a starting point. Well the dumb*ss GM threw out a huge offer to begin with (that included a $14 million signing bonus and was a higher contract than Wistrom was even seeking) and Wistrom's agent signed the offer as fast as he could find his pen. Now we have to deal with the repercussions of an incompetent GM of another team. That deal drove OGUN's price to where we can't possibly afford him. You just can't make a case for OGUN signing a much lesser deal than Wistrom did. OGUN is easily the more talented player. It makes me sick when I think about it and I don't know what Rick can do to mend this OGUN dilemma. I just don't see how we can possibly afford him without losing Chambers, Surtain, and/or McMichael. I think I would rather lose OGUN than ANY of these other three. We have our pass rushing DE, and it is very difficult to afford the luxury of two of them.

Back
Top Bottom