OL blame game: what % Grier, what % Lemuel Jeanpierre | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OL blame game: what % Grier, what % Lemuel Jeanpierre

isaacjunk

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
We all know the OL sucks but I think something is being missed in the convos here. Who is more to blame: Grier or Jeanpierre the OL coach, and to what degree?

Consider:
- several of our OL have been cut then suddenly look great on other teams (now that means Grier is at least partially to blame for cutting them, but at least spotted the talent initially)
- regression in year 2 of kindley, hunt, jackson
- the OL consultant Duke Mayweather at least seems to think our OL issues are coachable

Any one here with in-depth OL eyes that can shed light on this?

This is obv a key question because the solution is very different based on the answer.

80 pct Grier
20 pct LJP

You can’t make chicken salad out of chicken ****. Most of this crew is just fundamentally and athletically bad. And anyone that thinks Jackson is our future guard think again. He sucks in there too just not as obvious as at tackle.

Jimmy Johnson went out and got Tony Wise as O-line coach when he first arrived. Bill Parcells went out and recruited Hudson Houck as his O-line coach. Bill Belichick has Dante Scarnecchia. There was that one year where Scarnecchia retired, and the Patriot's line was going to get Brady killed. We don't know what was offered, but Scarnecchia was pulled out of retirement in week 5 or 6 and the line started playing much better in the latter half of the season.

I don't know what separates good O-line coaches from bad, but there's clearly something there that does. We let Billy Turner go and he is ranked highly by PFF as a guard for the Packers. Even Aaron Rodgers has mentioned in press conferences he's happy with Turner's performance. Yet, he was pretty bad with us.

I don’t know a couple of these guys balled out in college And now look like they never played the position before. I think it’s mostly on coaching and of course drafting or should I say not drafting guys that were available hurt us especially at the center position.

Instead of directing blame, let's see what the O-line can do for the rest of the season. I have seen some improvement in recent weeks, particularly controlling the ball and milking the clock for long periods to close out games. It doesn't fit the designated narrative but maybe Lemuel Jean Pierre is making some progress as a coach and the young o-linemen are getting better. I sure hope so.

How about the players themselves.

Zero % on them?
I actually don't blame the OL in this case. I mean most all of us would take the $$$ and draft position if it were offered it -- it's not their fault they were picked too high or coached badly. It'd be different if they were slacking but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I don’t know a couple of these guys balled out in college And now look like they never played the position before. I think it’s mostly on coaching and of course drafting or should I say not drafting guys that were available hurt us especially at the center position.
I believe Eichenberg played LT at Notre Dame (I read that he was an All-American), but when playing LT for Miami he really sucks! I don't get it.

I believe Eichenberg played LT at Notre Dame (I read that he was an All-American), but when playing LT for Miami he really sucks! I don't get it.
People play LT in college because they are the best player on the line.

When they get to the NFL the vast majority move to Guard or RT.

Eich never projected as a LT in the NFL, and he is only playing there now out of necessity. His future is at G or RT.

I actually don't blame the OL in this case. I mean most all of us would take the $$$ and draft position if it were offered it -- it's not their fault they were picked too high or coached badly. It'd be different if they were slacking but that doesn't seem to be the case.
I'm not saying they are slacking, or blaming them for taking money or getting drafted.

My gut tells me 5 competent OLinemen will play as a competent OLine with no coaching whatsoever. At some point some blame falls on the individual players for either mental errors, or physical shortcomings, or both.

90% Grier. We paid 60% of Ereck Flowers' salary to play for another team. Dude was the best and most consistent OL we had last year. Not a single OL is paid in the top 10 in salary in our team. No veteran leadership either.

Back
Top Bottom