OL should be fine for 2004 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OL should be fine for 2004

FinaticPatch

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
As long as we can free up the money there is a load of talent in the UFA pool for all positions on OLINE. First time I looked and saw a bunch a really good players.

Tackles

Orlando Pace- St. L Probably out of our price range but we could probably afford eveyone else.
Solomon Page- SD
Walter Jones-SEA
Orlando Brown-BAL
Blake Brockenmeyer-DEN
John Tait-KC

Guards

Jeno James and Kevin Donelly-CAR
Matt Stinchcomb-OAK this guy could be great
Ray Brown-DET older but servicable
Adam Timmerman- St. L

Centers

Damien Woody-NE still one of the best at that position
Chris Bober-NYG
Mike Flynn-BAL made all of the calls for one of the nfl's top OLINES

In other words fill QB, recievers and other smaller need through the draft cause we can get lineman from free agency.

Woodys a guard now, but i agree, talent all over the place on the line even a lot you didnt mention

meadows, villarial, and our own guys will be on the market (nails, probably wade)

Damien Woody is all but a Patriot once again he even said he'd take a paycut to remain there he loves it so much, so forget him.

Ray Brown I really doubt he's "servicable" as you say. The dude has gotta be somewhere close to 40 nowadays and Donnalley can't be far behind him. I think Donnalley is a little mad at Miami too.

Forget Blake Brockermeyer man, we've been through that for like 2-3 years running now and he ain't gettin any better.

You forgot Chad Clifton. He can play probably any guard or tackle spot on the line and do it well. He played LT really well for the Packers. If we got him I'd play him there at LT and move Wade Smith to RT. Instant upgrade at both spots in pass protection.

You also forgot the guy about to be cut from Indy, Adam Meadows. He'd make an alright RT.

I like Walter Jones if we could afford him whoooaaah boy. Move Wade Smith over to RT and tell him to pack on some major beef cuz he's stayin there. Now there's a tackle tandem lemme tell ya. QB jersey would stay spring fresh through a whole game.

I wouldn;t mind seeing the next years Oline as:

Smith, Nails, Woody, Yates, Orlando Brown

Not only solid but fairly cheap. We won't have to pay over the top for Brown. Woody will be costly but you pay for quality, Right?

Yeah I had been worried for a while that no matter who our QB Rivers Brunell Henson Ramsey it wouldnt matter behind our line but after looking at who is availably I feel alot more comfortable about the situation. If we can get 2 or 3 of these vets we should be fine.

orlando brown isnt all that good anymore, takes dumb penalties, gets beat...id rather someone else

Originally posted by finsnchips
I wouldn;t mind seeing the next years Oline as:

Smith, Nails, Woody, Yates, Orlando Brown

Not only solid but fairly cheap. We won't have to pay over the top for Brown. Woody will be costly but you pay for quality, Right?

Yates is the only one i would question and I assume your talking about our billy yates? I would rather see stinchcomb or jeno james there.

Thats an excellent point FinaticPatch. Thats what I been tryin to say for a while. Using FA dollars on OL makes sense because of the OL crop we have out in free agency now, and because of our coaching staff. With guys like Trestman at QB coach and Sullivan at WR coach we're likely to get more bang for our buck at QB and WR than we normally would, meaning we can improve the positions just by keeping them relatively the same. Meanwhile at OL coach we've got Tony Wise, who at the best of times you could say has had "mixed results," while others claim he's been a complete failure. For our OL its much more a players game...the personnel defines the success. A lot like our Defense. So if we improve our OL play through free agency, Trestman I'm sure can take a guy like Sage Rosenfels and make him a quality starter, and Sullivan can get max production out of guys like Chambers, Thompson, and Tolver...with McKnight likely to be a cap casualty.

Dude I said it before I'll say it again. Woody's chances of getting out of New England are about as good as Manning's chances of getting out of Indy. When a guy goes as far as saying he'll take a cut to stay on the team because he loves it so much, he's all but back in the fold IMO.

I think it would be folly to count on or even begin courting Damien Woody. We can only get burned like in the past with Kreutz and Gandy.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Thats an excellent point FinaticPatch. Thats what I been tryin to say for a while. Using FA dollars on OL makes sense because of the OL crop we have out in free agency now, and because of our coaching staff. With guys like Trestman at QB coach and Sullivan at WR coach we're likely to get more bang for our buck at QB and WR than we normally would, meaning we can improve the positions just by keeping them relatively the same. Meanwhile at OL coach we've got Tony Wise, who at the best of times you could say has had "mixed results," while others claim he's been a complete failure. For our OL its much more a players game...the personnel defines the success. A lot like our Defense. So if we improve our OL play through free agency, Trestman I'm sure can take a guy like Sage Rosenfels and make him a quality starter, and Sullivan can get max production out of guys like Chambers, Thompson, and Tolver...with McKnight likely to be a cap casualty.

Dont get me wronge Parrot I would love to have Rivers or Brunell in hear but to me fixing the oline get us 3 more wins a year and a qb alone only 2. If we could combine thoose efforts maybe 4 or 5 who knows.

Are we dreaming guys? We'll be lucky to land ONE of those guys at the most.I think if Wade comes back with us then what we'll need is 2 new guards. Maybe we can get one in free agency and then we can draft one as guards always drop in the draft. Seth should start at center this coming season and Smith will start at LT and with Wade at RT that leaves 2 spots. I think Perry's gone(a free agent here?) and if Nails is not %100 ready to go and in SHAPE, then he could be gone too and I'd like to draft Snee here with our 3rd round pick. That's realistic. Forget about getting 3 guys in free agency cos is not gonna happen guys.

Ozzy rules!

What about John Tait Jeno James and Stinchcomb what are everyones feelings there. I believe all three would be upgrades to incumbents.

Originally posted by Danny
Are we dreaming guys? We'll be lucky to land ONE of those guys at the most.I think if Wade comes back with us then what we'll need is 2 new guards. Maybe we can get one in free agency and then we can draft one as guards always drop in the draft. Seth should start at center this coming season and Smith will start at LT and with Wade at RT that leaves 2 spots. I think Perry's gone(a free agent here?) and if Nails is not %100 ready to go and in SHAPE, then he could be gone too and I'd like to draft Snee here with our 3rd round pick. That's realistic. Forget about getting 3 guys in free agency cos is not gonna happen guys.

Ozzy rules!

What about 2 guys id be happy with 2.

Don't be surprised when you see this...

LT - Wade Smith
LG - Mark Dixon
C - Seth McKinney
RG - Billy Yates
LT - Todd Wade

Back
Top Bottom