Olivier Vernon fined for low hit on Mariota. Dirty play or accident? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Olivier Vernon fined for low hit on Mariota. Dirty play or accident?

It looked dirty I understand the fine. Just pay it and move on. Sucks mariota got hurt but oh well time to move on.

Guess I shouldn't have said anything. Such BS. The pussification of football continues.

I'm not a genius, but its clear to me he had lost his balance and was falling towards the ground. If Marriota was standing 3 feet back, O.V. would have fallen in the exact same spot as he actually did.

I'm tired of hearing about this b.s.!

Anyone see the ESPN article on this? Jaws was comparing it to the offensive line chop blocking, which he said is also illegal. LMAO, I like Jaws.....but what rock has be been under? He must have missed our game against the Redskins because all the did was chop block and it's not just the Redskins!

Anyone see the ESPN article on this? Jaws was comparing it to the offensive line chop blocking, which he said is also illegal. LMAO, I like Jaws.....but what rock has be been under? He must have missed our game against the Redskins because all the did was chop block and it's not just the Redskins!

I think the Redskins were cut blocking, not chop blocking.

These type of hits get flagged now. There was a similar play in the Michigan/Michigan State game. The offensive lineman shoved the Michigan defender downward onto the fallen player from much closer range than the Vernon situation. The Wolverine player was called for spearing and ejected from the game. It was upheld under replay.

There was no question Vernon would be fined.

When it happened I admittedly had a selfish thought from a Dolphin standpoint, that it was more than a fair trade. Mariotta was wobbling around and obviously not going to be as effective as typical, but no long term damage.

If that Tom Brady play in the 2008 opener had never happened, it would be interesting to see if this rules application would be the same. Probably, but I don't make it an absolute.

I'm not a genius, but its clear to me he had lost his balance and was falling towards the ground. If Marriota was standing 3 feet back, O.V. would have fallen in the exact same spot as he actually did.

I'm tired of hearing about this b.s.!

THIS! I second this!

Phinsider breaks it down....

http://www.thephinsider.com/2015/10/19/9571989/olivier-vernon-hit-on-marcus-mariota-all-22-look

Forget the "pay it an move on". It's misunderstood situations such as this that get called into evidence to support future ill-formed opinions.

A "dirty" play or hit truly hinges on intent, not outcome. The evidence of intent is right before your very eyes in the final seconds.... OV is bracing with his hand for a FALL. This is not a DIVE. This is an unplanned FALL.

Had he been DIVING then his trajectory would have been more streamlined and focused on Mariota's leg. It is NOT. He is trying to catch himself from a fall. Pure and simple.

There is no INTENT here. Now, move on.

It's telling how much press this is getting

compared to whenever Clay Matthews Jr, or Terrel Suggs do the exact same thing

only Suggs & Clay are obviously doing it on purpose.

The press expect the Dolphins to be a negative story, so they will work that angle on ALL Dolphins related incidents

I would be the first to tell you that the media doesn't favor Miami all that much, but I believe this has a lot more to do with the fact that Marcus was a HIGH PROFILE #2 draft pick. If this is Ryan Mallet, Brandon Weedon or Josh McCown, then it's not a big deal at all.

He obviously hit him on purpose. You can clearly see all of the volition and momentum is coming from him. Probably wasn't something he was at all planning on doing, but he did do it.

I would have ejected him.

Concussions are one thing but taking out a guys knees leads to IR and lost careers.

Only somebody like Brady deserves this kind of thing. Vernon should have saved his low hit for Tommy Boy.

Seemed pretty dirty to me as it happened, and I thought it was one of the dirtiest hits I've seen in a long time. And I would say Campbell's comments about 'living on the edge' and 'not minding penalties in the heat of the moment' didn't help with the optics.

Titans coach Ken Whisehunt says it was dirty. He cussed at the media after the loss.

I'm totally fine with the fine. It was a bad hit regardless of whether Vernon meant to or not.

These type of hits get flagged now. There was a similar play in the Michigan/Michigan State game. The offensive lineman shoved the Michigan defender downward onto the fallen player from much closer range than the Vernon situation. The Wolverine player was called for spearing and ejected from the game. It was upheld under replay.

There was no question Vernon would be fined.

When it happened I admittedly had a selfish thought from a Dolphin standpoint, that it was more than a fair trade. Mariotta was wobbling around and obviously not going to be as effective as typical, but no long term damage.

If that Tom Brady play in the 2008 opener had never happened, it would be interesting to see if this rules application would be the same. Probably, but I don't make it an absolute.

This is one thing you and I agree 100% on. I wonder myself if that Tom Brady hit never happened and it was say Ryan Tannehill would we have a rule right now? I would guess no.

Back
Top Bottom