Omar Kelly's Grades Spot On | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Omar Kelly's Grades Spot On

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of fans don't care for Omar Kelly, but I thought his unit-by-unit grade for Miami was spot on.

In some ways, I think he was a little generous. As an example, he gave the quarterback grade a C-. I might have gone D there. Cutler had a fantastic game against New England and a few others that were really good including Oakland, a game Miami should have won. But overall, I thought he was easily a bottom 10 quarterback in the league. Moore had one very good game against the Jets in leading the team to a comeback win.

Here are his grades:

QB -- C-
RB -- C-
TE --- D (says Thomas too slow, didn't make a difference)
WR -- C (Parker injury hurt)
OL -- C- (Got better as year progressed)
DL -- C- (Started real strong)
LB -- D-
Secondary C
ST -- B
Coaching - D

Could just be me but I feel like our WR room grew as the season progressed, to the point that no Parker didn’t matter. Stills was making plays, Jarvis scores more often, and Grant did the closest thing to breaking out that could be expected of the little guy

Broken Clock Syndrome

Regardless of his ratings, it's hard to take seriously someone who should be offering to supersize my fries.
p34205_p_v8_ab.jpg

RB - You really have two judge it as two separate parts. Ajayi vs. Drake. Drake himself should be getting a B+. What Ajayi did or didn't do really doesn't matter.

I would give the TE's and LB's both big fat F's. I am not in the mood to hand out any D+'s. Even with Jay Cutler at the helm, they could've went 9-7 if those two unit's weren't so putrid.

Our LB's can't cover a TE but who can blame them having never practiced against one with any real talent and athletic ability.

RB position all season vs average. Last 5 games with Drake doesn't change the entire season.
I see your point but the RB Coach worked better then the others on the offensive side of the ball.
RB - You really have two judge it as two separate parts. Ajayi vs. Drake. Drake himself should be getting a B+. What Ajayi did or didn't do really doesn't matter.

I would give the TE's and LB's both big fat F's. I am not in the mood to hand out any D+'s. Even with Jay Cutler at the helm, they could've went 9-7 if those two unit's weren't so putrid.

Our LB's can't cover a TE but who can blame them having never practiced against one with any real talent and athletic ability.
I think the TE's weren't used to there ability either. Gray playing fullback when last year he showed promise catching the ball. I am not sold on Derby. To me it looks like he plays stiff. Fasano could have been used better on some more passes rather than just blocking. I am hoping this year we open up the play book and even add plays to the offense to make it game breaking.

I like Omar Kelly while not always agreeing with his assessments. He doesn't pull punches in his coverage of the team. I do think his grades for a few position groups was unfair.

RBs - I feel like the C minus grade is weighted heavily on Ajayi, and it's not like Ajayi always had consistent blocking. Drake emerged late in the season and it could be argued that he would have emerged sooner if given the opportunity.

WRs - Again, the grade seems weighted negatively on one player, Parker. Jarvis Landry held up his end of the bargain and Stills was a steady threat, even when he was injured. I also feel the group would have been more effective if Grant had been incorporated more into the gameplan from the beginning.

DL - Yes, this group fell off with injury, but the grade ignores the quick development of Godcheaux and Phillips' good play later in the season.

I have to agree with you about our LB unit, this unit was dreadful this year and needs an overhaul come off season.
On the TEs.....Fasano was picked up to do one job and he was adequate, that doesn't mean however that we shouldn't draft one. I would have liked to see Gray get more of an opportunity to play TE however.

Kelly is a tabliodesque beat writer who has reached the highest he will ever be in his profession. He will continue to see young writers from the area continue to move on to better jobs while he stays to deliver his obvious bias assessment in the name of getting clicks.

Back
Top Bottom