Omar Kelly's Grades Spot On

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SF Dolphin Fan, Jan 6, 2018.

1. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I know a lot of fans don't care for Omar Kelly, but I thought his unit-by-unit grade for Miami was spot on.

In some ways, I think he was a little generous. As an example, he gave the quarterback grade a C-. I might have gone D there. Cutler had a fantastic game against New England and a few others that were really good including Oakland, a game Miami should have won. But overall, I thought he was easily a bottom 10 quarterback in the league. Moore had one very good game against the Jets in leading the team to a comeback win.

Here are his grades:

QB -- C-
    RB -- C-
    TE --- D (says Thomas too slow, didn't make a difference)
    WR -- C (Parker injury hurt)
    OL -- C- (Got better as year progressed)
    DL -- C- (Started real strong)
    LB -- D-
    Secondary C
    ST -- B
    Coaching - D

2. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

Rb should be B+, pretty solid eval

VBCheeseGrater, dolpns13 and Danny like this.
  3. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

How did he come up with a C- for the RB position?

Michael Scott and Uruguayfinfan like this.
  4. 1 dol fan

1 dol fan Super Donator Super Donator Donator

Could just be me but I feel like our WR room grew as the season progressed, to the point that no Parker didn’t matter. Stills was making plays, Jarvis scores more often, and Grant did the closest thing to breaking out that could be expected of the little guy

SF Dolphin Fan likes this.
  5. steveo style

steveo style Scout Team Donator

RB should be B at least.

6. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Broken Clock Syndrome

Regardless of his ratings, it's hard to take seriously someone who should be offering to supersize my fries.

lurking, Dbest, Ren and 10 others like this.
  7. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Moderator Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

[​IMG]

dolpns13, fishfanmiami and Vaark like this.
  8. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Moderator Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

I think the coaching was up and down this year. We would see good games where they did really good and others that I was scratching my head . I think I used my great niece's saying on a couple of them, Really?

SF Dolphin Fan and royalshank like this.
  9. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

I'm shocked Omar didn't give Tannehill a "D"

10. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

RB - You really have two judge it as two separate parts. Ajayi vs. Drake. Drake himself should be getting a B+. What Ajayi did or didn't do really doesn't matter.

I would give the TE's and LB's both big fat F's. I am not in the mood to hand out any D+'s. Even with Jay Cutler at the helm, they could've went 9-7 if those two unit's weren't so putrid.

Our LB's can't cover a TE but who can blame them having never practiced against one with any real talent and athletic ability.

11. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

RB position all season vs average. Last 5 games with Drake doesn't change the entire season.

gunn34 likes this.
  12. Fin Fan in Cali

I see your point but the RB Coach worked better then the others on the offensive side of the ball.
    I think the TE's weren't used to there ability either. Gray playing fullback when last year he showed promise catching the ball. I am not sold on Derby. To me it looks like he plays stiff. Fasano could have been used better on some more passes rather than just blocking. I am hoping this year we open up the play book and even add plays to the offense to make it game breaking.

13. AJ Duhe

AJ Duhe FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I like Omar Kelly while not always agreeing with his assessments. He doesn't pull punches in his coverage of the team. I do think his grades for a few position groups was unfair.

RBs - I feel like the C minus grade is weighted heavily on Ajayi, and it's not like Ajayi always had consistent blocking. Drake emerged late in the season and it could be argued that he would have emerged sooner if given the opportunity.

WRs - Again, the grade seems weighted negatively on one player, Parker. Jarvis Landry held up his end of the bargain and Stills was a steady threat, even when he was injured. I also feel the group would have been more effective if Grant had been incorporated more into the gameplan from the beginning.

DL - Yes, this group fell off with injury, but the grade ignores the quick development of Godcheaux and Phillips' good play later in the season.

14. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

I have to agree with you about our LB unit, this unit was dreadful this year and needs an overhaul come off season.
    On the TEs.....Fasano was picked up to do one job and he was adequate, that doesn't mean however that we shouldn't draft one. I would have liked to see Gray get more of an opportunity to play TE however.

15. FSU Truth

FSU Truth Taggart is my Homeboy Finheaven VIP

Kelly is a tabliodesque beat writer who has reached the highest he will ever be in his profession. He will continue to see young writers from the area continue to move on to better jobs while he stays to deliver his obvious bias assessment in the name of getting clicks.

Dakar001, fishfanmiami and Liphinphan like this.
  16. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

I didn't think signing Julius Thomas could possibly be a negative acquisition because what did we have to lose.....I was wrong. Bad things happened in abundance when we forced the ball into him.

There are some quality TE prospects in the second and third round this year and it's time to find one.

Michael Scott and Elle Clouds like this.
  17. royalshank

royalshank Not a Game-Changer Finheaven VIP Donator

So true

Elle Clouds likes this.
  18. royalshank

royalshank Not a Game-Changer Finheaven VIP Donator

The C- at RB is likely a function of our yards per game on the ground and 2 TDs from the unit. Perhaps more of an indictment on the play calling, situations, etc but bottom line production was so bad even the Marino-era offenses ran it better. And that’s sad. Drake looks like the real deal. We have to cut the **** w the penalties so we can keep running the football in our game plan.

19. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs UCF 13-0 Finheaven VIP Donator

Yeah pretty sure it's against TOS to not post a link with the info you're copying from another site.

Although even with a link available, I wouldn't click it because Omar is less tolerable than a face full of cow ****

Ren likes this.
  20. Phantom

Phantom Phantom Donator

He could have given the whole damn team an F except for the place kicker and not been far off.

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  21. ANUFan

ANUFan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Did the OP really title this thread as "Spot on?" Yikes!

22. Fin Fan in Cali

Good evening brother. I appreciate that he felt that way and posted it. We may not agree and that's why we are here to discuss it. He is very good member of the family as you are also. Have a great weekend!

23. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

That’s around a C average. Since that was me in high school, I would argue that 6-10 should be more of a D+ average.

SF Dolphin Fan and Beach Bum 91 like this.
  24. SF Dolphin Fan

Definitely reflects a very average team. That said, I am hopeful moving forward.

Look what a difference Jimmy G made for the 49ers. I think they went 6-1 down the stretch. That's what good quarterback play can mean to a team. Certainly opens the question of how good is Tannehill, something that's been heavily debated here.

There's a stat in baseball called Wins Above Replacement (WAR). I think Tannehill might be a worth two extra wins, but that is a guess. Maybe Brady/Rogers those types are worth 5-6.

25. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

Wow. We paid like $30MILLION for C- QB play and almost that much for C- DL play!

Gotta get me a job where I can be comfortably below average and make big bucks!

26. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

First, that is a grade as a unit. Second, that grade fluctuated over 16 games. Last 4-5 games I'd say solid B with talent to give optimism

27. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

The same way he comes up with all his stuff....he just pulls it out of his ***.

If he pulled his head out of his *** it'd be better.

fin415 likes this.
  28. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan Donator

I agree with all except QB was an F, and coaching was an F. We had the 28 ranked passer rating as a team, so no further proof needed. As far as the coaching one way to prove it’s an F is to look at the passing stats. Our passing rating was 5th worst in the NFL, but we passed the ball 4th most in the NFL. This stubbornness killed us all year. Good coaches adapt to highlight strengths, and hide weakness, yet we had the 4th most pass attemps with Jay Cutler as our QB. Further proof it was an F is we were 2nd worst in penalties, and 3rd worst in +/-.

29. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Miami wasn’t average this year. 6-10 is below average.

SF was 5-0 with JG. He didn’t play lights out and they didn’t play a ton of great teams but they won anyway.

30. SF Dolphin Fan

Agree, Miami was a tad below average. Tough schedule and Cutler instead of Tannehill played a part obviously.

31. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

I think the rankings are a tad bit low since the team overall rebounded. Next year tannehill being back will be massive. Hopefully RT has been working on his touch and accuracy with all that extra time with a running restriction.

32. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

disagree with almost all of his ranking tbh

qb too high
    rb too low
    te too low but not by much
    wr too low if you consider the qb play
    ol too low i think it was actually decent this year
    dl is on point but mostly on pass-rush
    lb about right
    secondary about right could be higher though
    st is about right
    coaching too low considering how awful the grades are throughout....

omar is such a negative asshat

33. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

or coaching the Miami defense lol