One of my favorite all time Miami playoff games under Shula | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

One of my favorite all time Miami playoff games under Shula

royalshank

Not a Game-Changer
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
At the 11:19 mark on a 4th down, watch and let your jaw drop at Dan Marino’s double move in the pocket to make the play. A few plays later, watch his ridiculous footwork to extend the play and throw a TD (many have seen this play but I bet don’t recall the 4th down play a few moments earlier that was just as incredible). Man I miss Shula’s game management and Dan Marino’s prowess in the pocket.

Anyone recall this epic game where Marino and Montana both played near perfect games?

Any other games w specific time call outs to view plays that made you say “who” - encourage you to post.

My favorite game was in 1992 or 93 against the Chargers at home in the Divisional playoff. I was seated in the 100's section directly under the next level overhang. We had downpours that game and got absolutely soaked and it didn't matter one bit. Miami destroyed San Diego 31-0. I was at the games the following week against Buffalo in the 400's and Miami got wrecked. For some reason I remember the score being much worse, but a loss none the less 29-10

My favorite game was in 1992 or 93 against the Chargers at home in the Divisional playoff. I was seated in the 100's section directly under the next level overhang. We had downpours that game and got absolutely soaked and it didn't matter one bit. Miami destroyed San Diego 31-0. I was at the games the following week against Buffalo in the 400's and Miami got wrecked. For some reason I remember the score being much worse, but a loss none the less 29-10
Yeah the Bills Title game felt worse because after a close first quarter, our D couldn’t stop the swing passes to Thomas and Davis and they nickel and dimed us controlling the clock / D couldn’t get off of the field. Very frustrating. But our LBs were so slow in that era and it killed us. Had we a difference making LB (Offerdahl was always hurt) w speed on the outside or who could blitz we may have had some more favorable outcomes. LB slowness hurt us from the ‘84 SB until... like a year ago lol.

I keep watching Marino throwing the ball, and still after all this time, I Marval at how fast, and precise the ball goes to the receiver.

If you look at what Montana had to deal with compared to Marino, and for most of the game, it was night and day. Seemed like Marino was surrounded by a chaotic pocket, while Montana had a cleaner pocket to throw in, yet in little time, and little space for error, Marino seemed like Viper...Waiting, Waiting, BOOM, completion 20 yards away.

I still always wonder what could have been in 1993. We def make playoffs and afc title game at worst.

The comeback against chiefs in 1990 was so exciting after missing playoffs previous 4 years. Felt so good to be back in playoffs.
1993 could have been the year. We were 4-1 and had already beaten the Bills in Orchard. Marino was having the best year of his career from an efficiency standpoint w a QBR of 108 which was a bit unheard of - especially for a downfield passing attack. I believe we finish that season 13-3 or 12-4 AE worst and host the title game. Also, that Dallas team wasn’t as good as the year prior. Heck, we beat them w Steve DeBerg in the snow! I really think that was our best team of the 90’s. Shame.

I keep watching Marino throwing the ball, and still after all this time, I Marval at how fast, and precise the ball goes to the receiver.

If you look at what Montana had to deal with compared to Marino, and for most of the game, it was night and day. Seemed like Marino was surrounded by a chaotic pocket, while Montana had a cleaner pocket to throw in, yet in little time, and little space for error, Marino seemed like Viper...Waiting, Waiting, BOOM, completion 20 yards away.
Watching even now is still a treat. No one processed the field and delivered the ball faster than him - no one in the history of the game.

I still always wonder what could have been in 1993. We def make playoffs and afc title game at worst.

The comeback against chiefs in 1990 was so exciting after missing playoffs previous 4 years. Felt so good to be back in playoffs.
Chiefs legendary CB Albert Lewis still can’t believe he didn’t take the GW TD to Clayton to the house - it defied physics really.

the takeaway that we all know is that the team Walsh built around Montana was much greater
than the one Dan had. so you know...
Oh for sure. I hated Joe at the time but looking back he was great. Having said that, his record w the Chiefs was the same basically as DeBerg’s before him so he didn’t elevate them the way Marino and Peyton could make any team a contender by themselves. Dan just needed some better pieces on D. And perhaps a real RB. Joe had a roster of HOFers up and down in SF.

This video shows a couple of things that I'll always remember about two of the greatest QBs to play: Marino's quick release, and the positioning of Montana's body when he plants his right foot at the top of his dropback. That might as well be a part of the NFL logo, in the same way Jerry West's silhouette is for the NBA.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom