One year contracts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

One year contracts

matt11390

Starter
Reaction score
I don't remember Miami having so many players signed for one year contracts. As of this posting that includes notable FA's like Long and Wake. Hopefully these two will get new contracts soon. But with so many one year contracts, what is the philosophy of the FO? Are they setting up for a major cleaning next year? Are they basically trying out all these players to identify who they want to keep long term? Just seems odd to me. I feel Miami is in a semi-rebuild mode but it could be full blown next year if most of these one year players leave after this coming season. Thoughts?

i think its what you said. its all 1 year until the staff etc sees who they want and who they dont. the guys laready on the team who have 1 year left - why extend them yet? see how they fit in the new system and then resign the guys you want to keep during the regular season. As for the FA guys getting signed for 1 year, thats for the same reasons - look at incognito - he was 1 year but wound up getting extended, they want u to prove yourself.

by next offseason we are not going to see a "clean house" that wouldnt really make sense - if they were going to "clean house" they would do it NOW. they just dont want to jump the gun before the new systems are implemented. my opinion anyway.

I don't remember Miami having so many players signed for one year contracts. As of this posting that includes notable FA's like Long and Wake. Hopefully these two will get new contracts soon. But with so many one year contracts, what is the philosophy of the FO? Are they setting up for a major cleaning next year? Are they basically trying out all these players to identify who they want to keep long term? Just seems odd to me. I feel Miami is in a semi-rebuild mode but it could be full blown next year if most of these one year players leave after this coming season. Thoughts?
If we don't sign one of those guys to a long term deal before free agency next year you can bet we lose one of them. We can only franchise one of those guys and Wake would be the cheaper of the two to franchise.

We have a lot of key players/starters who will be free agents so even if we are $50+ million under the cap we're going to be in trouble. Fasano, Matt Moore, Jake Long, Cam Wake, Reggie Bush, Randy Starks, Tony McDaniel, Brandon Fields, Brian Harline and Sean Smith are all free agents next year, all starters or major contributors. By my estimations we should have only about 26 players under contract come next year...$50 million to sign another 27 players is not a lot.

Everyone is on trial this year because we have a new coach. If they dont buy into his system, then they are goners. I'd expect some contract extensions mid-season, with the terms made public just to set an example, much like we did with Greg Camarillo and Patrick Cobbs during Sparano's first year.

Everyone is on trial this year because we have a new coach. If they dont buy into his system, then they are goners. I'd expect some contract extensions mid-season, with the terms made public just to set an example, much like we did with Greg Camarillo and Patrick Cobbs during Sparano's first year.

this.

Most of the guys on 1 year contracts won't even be here next season. They'll be replaced by future draft picks.

Back
Top Bottom