Open Plea To Mr Ross: Keep "trader Mike" Out Of The Draft Room And... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Open Plea To Mr Ross: Keep "trader Mike" Out Of The Draft Room And...

Vaark

The Intra-Dimensional Felinians R Coming 2 Save Us
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
... away from the phone the first 2 nites.

Consider that "he who ignores history is doomed to repeat it":

In Tannenbaum's first year as Jets GM in 2006 his first 2 rounds: D'Brick Ferguson and Nick Mangold = 2 runs
Standing count 2 hits for 2 swings

In 2007 at the top of the draft he did hit home runs trading up for all world Revis and drafting David Harris
Standing count: 4 for 4

However also consider those years might well have been beginner's luck, vis a vis:
2008: who could forget Vernon Gholston in the 1st although Keller in the 2nd was productive
Standing count: 5 hits out of 6

2009: Mark Sanchez on a trade up (enough said on that cluster****) and Shonn Greene might not have been worth a 2nd but he wasn't awful
Standing count 5.5 hits out of 8

2010: Kyle Wilson in the 1st, Vlad Ducasse in 2nd = 2 swings and misses
standing count: 5.5 hits out of 10

2011: Mohammed Wilkerson at 30 = nice hit. No pick in the second* = penalty whiff
standing count: 6.5 hits out of 12

2012 Quinton Couples in the first and Stephen ****ing Hill in the 2nd = 2 whiffs!
extra demerit: Signed Sanchez to an unnecessary extension while ignoring Terry Bradbury's plea to draft Russell Wilson in the 2nd or 3rd = -2 for double penalty
standing count adjusted: 6.5 hits out 14 1st and 2nd round picks + double penalty = 6.5 out of 16

Not a very good batting average at the top of the draft where most long term starters reside. Now you can argue that in later rounds, he did have some success with mid round players including Leon Washington, Thomas Jones, and exchanging picks for starters including Holmes, Edwards, Sheppard, which is true.. but this is about how he used his 14 top picks and it's clear that after 2007, his success rate plummeted. So at the least, keep him out of the draft room and off the phone the first 2 nights please.

Also consider:
Each team before adjustments are awarded at least 7 picks,(often receiving several more for FA "compensation picks." ) From 2006-2012, in 7 seasons teams start off with at least 7 picks per season or 49 total picks.

*However thanks to "Trader Mike" during that time span the Jets had a total of 31 draft picks in 7 years or 4.4 picks per season.

While it's true that this season the Phins have 8 picks and last season 7, does a leopard ever change its spots? At the least Mr Ross, keep him away from the phone!!!

Picks are so important that they must be guarded carefully, giving away picks especially when a team like the Phins has so many needs would be criminal. I always prefer to trade down but do it smartly, this slash and burn over the years by trading away picks (Caroo) is asinine and should be stopped. Tannenbaum should be handcuffed to his chair away from the phone on draft day, unless receiving calls about possibly trade down scenarios.

Picks are so important that they must be guarded carefully, giving away picks especially when a team like the Phins has so many needs would be criminal. I always prefer to trade down but do it smartly, this slash and burn over the years by trading away picks (Caroo) is asinine and should be stopped. Tannenbaum should be handcuffed to his chair away from the phone on draft day, unless receiving calls about possibly trade down scenarios.

I do feel better about trading up in late rounds though since it doesn’t hurt as bad as the ransom it costs to move up in the first or second. Generally speaking I’d prefer a small trade down in the first to trade back into the second or third from the third or fourth. All player dependent obviously.

Would you guys be okay with parting with #73 to move up three spots to secure Edmunds or Smith?

There are 2 things that scare the **** out of me in 2 days, a trade up or they draft Vea... Now watch Tbaum trade up for Vea...
I have no fear of trading up as long as it's the right deal and it's for the right player. In fact, I think we should move up. We might get stuck at #11 with the top defensive guys going right in front of us. It shouldn't cost much to move up a couple of spots. We need to get in front of Oakland and San Fran if we want Edmunds or Smith.

Tampa Bay looks locked into Derwin James, unfortunately. I was hoping they'd take Ward.

I just saw a mock draft that had Miami trading up to 5 for Baker. I might break my TV if this happens. In the mock all lf the AFC teams took a QBin the 1st round which I think is cool but not for us to trade up.

Personally, I would rather trade back and acquire extra picks. However, I fully anticipate breaking something.

... away from the phone the first 2 nites.

Consider that "he who ignores history is doomed to repeat it":

In Tannenbaum's first year as Jets GM in 2006 his first 2 rounds: D'Brick Ferguson and Nick Mangold = 2 runs
Standing count 2 hits for 2 swings

In 2007 at the top of the draft he did hit home runs trading up for all world Revis and drafting David Harris
Standing count: 4 for 4

However also consider those years might well have been beginner's luck, vis a vis:
2008: who could forget Vernon Gholston in the 1st although Keller in the 2nd was productive
Standing count: 5 hits out of 6

2009: Mark Sanchez on a trade up (enough said on that cluster****) and Shonn Greene might not have been worth a 2nd but he wasn't awful
Standing count 5.5 hits out of 8

2010: Kyle Wilson in the 1st, Vlad Ducasse in 2nd = 2 swings and misses
standing count: 5.5 hits out of 10

2011: Mohammed Wilkerson at 30 = nice hit. No pick in the second* = penalty whiff
standing count: 6.5 hits out of 12

2012 Quinton Couples in the first and Stephen ****ing Hill in the 2nd = 2 whiffs!
extra demerit: Signed Sanchez to an unnecessary extension while ignoring Terry Bradbury's plea to draft Russell Wilson in the 2nd or 3rd = -2 for double penalty
standing count adjusted: 6.5 hits out 14 1st and 2nd round picks + double penalty = 6.5 out of 16

Not a very good batting average at the top of the draft where most long term starters reside. Now you can argue that in later rounds, he did have some success with mid round players including Leon Washington, Thomas Jones, and exchanging picks for starters including Holmes, Edwards, Sheppard, which is true.. but this is about how he used his 14 top picks and it's clear that after 2007, his success rate plummeted. So at the least, keep him out of the draft room and off the phone the first 2 nights please.

Also consider:
Each team before adjustments are awarded at least 7 picks,(often receiving several more for FA "compensation picks." ) From 2006-2012, in 7 seasons teams start off with at least 7 picks per season or 49 total picks.

*However thanks to "Trader Mike" during that time span the Jets had a total of 31 draft picks in 7 years or 4.4 picks per season.

While it's true that this season the Phins have 8 picks and last season 7, does a leopard ever change its spots? At the least Mr Ross, keep him away from the phone!!!
keeping him away from the war room is a great idea

Would you guys be okay with parting with #73 to move up three spots to secure Edmunds or Smith?

No f'ing way....there are enough blue chips through at least pick 15 or so...we can definitely stay at 11 and get a great pick. Having said that, what you ask is not out of the question for a move an idiot like Tannebum would make. Hopefully, Gase has enough sense and say to stop it from happening.

I would do this if necessary.

I fear the bay area teams stealing our cookies at LB and I am scared we get stuck with a lineman (nelson, mcglinchey, vea) They are considered elite players but ANY lineman is never worth a pick so high as #11. Teams JUST ahead of us are dialing in on the defensive stars and right now we may have to depend on only minkah falling to us. The bears may not let that happen.

We might need to move up 3 spots or so.

I don't think Buffalo tries to get ahead of us, which might push someone down the line. I have a very STRONG suspicion they will self-destruct as a franchise and waste #12 on the wannabe from Boynton Beach.

We are not really in the catbird seat everyone thinks for an elite defensive player.

Back
Top Bottom