Opinion: Drafting A Qb In 1st Round - Significant Course Altering Event - Lottery Type Player | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Opinion: Drafting A Qb In 1st Round - Significant Course Altering Event - Lottery Type Player

As I find myself reading so many articles on what Miami should do regarding picking up a QB, I can't help but wonder that no matter how good your GM and his talent evaluators are if you pick and QB and you miss on the pick, it will set up back many years. If you score big on it then your set up for many years to be successful.

You think of examples such as Aarron Rodgers, Dan Marino, Tom Brady, etc. If GM's knew what they were capable of they would be picked up pretty fast. But the fact is no one knows. Franchises are build on the shoulders of QB's. Yes, Yes the trenches are important as well, don't get me wrong, but the QB is a organization's lottery ticket. And its very seldom you win, just like the real lottery in life.

You have some organizations who will trade and mortgage the organizational's future on QB's such as Washington did with RGIII. Bad ones such as these below:

Raiders, JaMarcus Russell (No. 1 overall in 2007)
Lions, Joey Harrington (No. 3, 2002)
Cardinals, Matt Leinart (No. 10, 2006)
Jaguars, Blaine Gabbert (No. 10, 2011)

RYAN LEAF FOR GOD SAKES!!! (just to name a few)

Its really a dangerous game for GM's selecting their first QB. So there's no guarantee on what will happen. We can do very well building through the trenches and getting WR's but everyones's job hinges on the QB. So cheers to Miami winning the lottery ticket for when they pick their QB!

#finsup
What about Mark Sanchez, or Geno Smith, or any QB who played for the Jets, Bills or Dolphins that was drafted after 1983.

Our handling of the QB position since the retirement of Dan Marino has been almost criminal. We drafted one QB and bet the ranch on him. We tied our future to one QB out of Texas A&M who had trouble starting in college. The #8 pick in the draft, Ryan Tannehill, was a bad pick. He led us to zero playoff victories and that's how I measure things. We hung on WAY to long and we never brought in competition to push him, why? With one at bat we struck out, why not give yourself more chances? I hope the new group changes things and makes sure we draft QBs every year until we get our franchise guy. I do believe we should snag a QB at 13, Haskins or Locke would be exciting. Kyler is a dream. But, keep aggressively going after QBs!! If we learned anything from the Tannehill experience it's that you DON'T bet the ranch on one guy. Tanny got a lot of coaches fired.

Back
Top Bottom