Orton | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Orton

You all got legit points. It is his rookie year, and he is playing against 2nd stringers. But, I look at it this way. They are all NFL caliber players, that made it from college. Some will cut for sure, but right now, 65 x 32 = 2080 of the best players at the NFL level. Brees is one, and so are the 2nd stringers he is going against. Just to brush off the numbers and his completion percentage because he is playing against some guys that will get cut, is ridiculous. Because, some of those guys will be starters too.

My arguement is this. He was a 4th round choice, everybody was aware of his play making ability at Purdue, or at least I hope they were. For that kind of potential, at the 4th round pricetag, I consider that a huge value. Now, you want to argue for Travis Daniels, thats cool. But, I look at Daniels, and just because he HAS to start, doesn't make him a better value. He was Nicks boy, and I think was favored for that reason. That was a straight up need pick taking Daniels, you cant argue that. And that need picking will kill you everytime. I may be wrong about Daniels, and for the sake of us getting french fried hugely in the secondary, I hope I am wrong. But, I dont believe so. I think the Orton threads will flourish as the season goes along. Because Daniels has to start, not that he is starting material.

All I can say, is we shall see.

pigskinguy said:
Really? Who? Let me guess, we're gonna trade for Rivers. Or we gonna draft Leinart. I highly doubt we do either.

Yeah because those will be the only two quarterbacks available through free agency, the draft, and any trading.

We didn't get Orton, the Bears got Orton, so what's the point in saying we shoulda, coulda, woulda?

kingnate85 said:
Yeah because those will be the only two quarterbacks available through free agency, the draft, and any trading.

We didn't get Orton, the Bears got Orton, so what's the point in saying we shoulda, coulda, woulda?

Becaue, if those are our only two options, then we are stuck with "turds" for our options.

Fletch said:
I agree. Although I like Orton, having seen Frye play every week the last couple of years was eye opening. He played in a NFL style offense and they really opened it up. He's doing really well in Cleveland too.

He was the only QB I was interested in taking. I wouldve used our #2 pick which wouldve been overpaying the way the draft turned out for Frye but I still think he's the only QB from last year that can be top tier. I think the Frye to Edwards combo is going to become very famous very soon. Crennel's got a nice building block to begin with down in Cleveland

LithoMan said:
You all got legit points. It is his rookie year, and he is playing against 2nd stringers. But, I look at it this way. They are all NFL caliber players, that made it from college. Some will cut for sure, but right now, 65 x 32 = 2080 of the best players at the NFL level. Brees is one, and so are the 2nd stringers he is going against. Just to brush off the numbers and his completion percentage because he is playing against some guys that will get cut, is ridiculous. Because, some of those guys will be starters too.

My arguement is this. He was a 4th round choice, everybody was aware of his play making ability at Purdue, or at least I hope they were. For that kind of potential, at the 4th round pricetag, I consider that a huge value. Now, you want to argue for Travis Daniels, thats cool. But, I look at Daniels, and just because he HAS to start, doesn't make him a better value. He was Nicks boy, and I think was favored for that reason. That was a straight up need pick taking Daniels, you cant argue that. And that need picking will kill you everytime. I may be wrong about Daniels, and for the sake of us getting french fried hugely in the secondary, I hope I am wrong. But, I dont believe so. I think the Orton threads will flourish as the season goes along. Because Daniels has to start, not that he is starting material.

All I can say, is we shall see.

We needed a CB. Unless you're saying the entire draft shouldve been reprioritized Daniels was the best option at that pick. Can you imagine how bad our secondary would have looked without him being here? So far Roth is the only draft choice that I think can be argued to be a little questionable. (I'm not counting Alabi and Vickerson because those later picks are always crapshoots) And I think even Roth has displayed enough talent so far that he may turn out to be a nice pickup. This draft looks to be one of the better ones we have ever had. Next year we need to load up on offensive lineman and I wouldnt be surprised if our first rounder goes for an LOT. The QB might have to wait until after the 2nd round

well mayube saban had a plan and planned on rebuilding and thought that we would most likely do real bad this year...so we most likely will draft matt lienart....

LithoMan said:
You got that right. He tore it up again tonight. We could of had him in the 2nd, the 3rd, or the 4th round. That would of just been a wasted pick in the 4th now wouldnt it? Great value at QB. Kyle needed a lil' groomin, well worth his 4th round selection though. Oh well, enjoy!
For Miami fans, the grass is always greener.

The guy is playing preseason football. Let see what happens once the real hitting starts.

vanquenton said:
Well if Orton plays well then Rex Grossman will be on the ole trading block next year ... :cool:
Great then he can go on the IR for someone else.

Sirspud said:
Picking Orton wa soemthing we could have done, and I think it will be remembered that he was only a 4th rounder when he becomes a decent QB. I think he will end up the starter in Chicago by the 5th or 6th week.

This is my prediction also, he is better than Hutchinson, IMO!:up:

Silverphin said:
If Wanne had taken Brees, 9 times out of 10 he would of probably be driven out of Miami a la Griese.
Remember had badly Brees started with the Chargers he would really have been blasted on this board. I can just picture the threads, "Brees Is A Bust", Brees is a Waste, etc, etc.

Saban hated Frye, it has been reported that all he saw Frye do was "Throw the ball into the first row" at the combine. Speilman really liked Frye apparently and Saban thought he looked terrible, take that for what it's worth.

Matt Schaub led the entire NFL in pass rating last preseason and then proceeded to produce one TD and throw 4 INT's in the regular season with actual defense actually game planning against him. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to have Orton or anything like that, I'm just saying it isn't time to annoint him. He has physical liabilities and is known as an extremely streaky QB. You need consistency at that position.

At this point, Daniels looks to be a start here for many years either as a CB or as a S. Him and Will Poole will produce a nice tandem to look forward with even if we draft another young guy that fits Saban's system next year.

I like that has stud written all him like Omar Jacobs or Matt Leinart and also have the physical skills would be a better solution in my opinion. It appears right now that Orton is a younger version of Feeley and Frerotte. Limited physical skills and questions of consistency. Perhaps the next Rex Grossman?

I also had been watching Orton at Purdue in part because Griese was a Purdue QB and also because my brother went to Purdue.
Orton had been a great QB at Purdue but was injured in his senior year and his play and production had fallen off. (sounds familiar, kind of like what happened to Marino at Pitt) and this is not to say Orton is another Marino by any means. But a lot of teams passed on Marino because of it, as a lot of teams passed on Orton because of it. Maybe the scouts or people Saban relied on cautioned him again'st taking Orton or maybe he just overlooked him because he had dropped so much. Irregardless we didn't take him for whatever reason and thats in the past, he may be a good or even great QB, but he is a Bear now and we can't change that. Saban knows we need a starting QB sooner or later and I am sure he will address it at some point.

Rex Grossman is fragile, can you imagine him playing behind our line? He would be wearing elbow pads, knee pads, flak vest, you name it. Please "NO" to Rex Grossman!

Back
Top Bottom