Ot: The Canes Are Back..... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ot: The Canes Are Back.....

I'm not ignoring what Schnellengberger did, he was extremely instrumental in the foundation of the Canes. But if I'd have to pick the one guy that got this program rolling, I'd pick Saban. He got Jim Kelly and got the program to be relevant to where guys wanted to come to Miami. I don't think many Canes fans would disagree with that.

I don't disagree with it, but Schnellenberger got guys like Highsmith, Kosar, Testaverde, and the list goes on and on, etc. to come here too.

It just depends on who is and how you look at it.

Saban saved the program, Schnelly built it into a national powerhouse.

I'd take Schnellenberger all day everyday lol. Saban got the ball rolling on recruits but when it all was said and done...he didn't win with it. Granted he wasn't there very long...still. Schnellenberger was rough. He was a winner everyday he got out of the bed. He took average dudes and made winners out of them. I've got a lot of respect for what Saban did here but Schnelleberger was untouchable during his time at Miami and for good reason.

I don't disagree with it, but Schnellenberger got guys like Highsmith, Kosar, Testaverde, and the list goes on and on, etc. to come here too.

It just depends on who is and how you look at it.

Saban saved the program, Schnelly built it into a national powerhouse.

It really does. Of course, Schnell was the guy who brought us to national prominence, it's just the word "build" that I was focusing on. Saban built it for Schnell to take off. Kinda like how Butch did for Coker..............KIDDING! :chuckle:

Both guys were extremely important, yet both are irrelevant without each other.

It's an interesting question. I prefer Schnellenberger but my dad, a UM alum, insists Saban.

Saban found Kelly but I don't remember him emphasizing national championship. Schnellenberger dared to dream in that regard. He used to have a high profile annual slogan. I think one was, "Reaching Higher." Before that it was, "A Bowl is the Goal." Gad, this is going back. I think I have those correct but I'm not positive. Then in 1982 it was, "Go For It." In other words, the national title. That was the year Kelly got hurt in the second game, out for the year so the season was lost. Miami had dropped an anguishing 14-10 game at Gainesville in the opener, a late falling backwards catch by the fullback in hellish hot conditions. James Jones, or something like that. I can still picture that sickening play. It was almost like a Canes version of the 1974 Clarence Davis play.

No one thought 1983 would be the year. I don't even remember the slogan for that season.

Besides, not only did Schnellenberger create, "The State of Miami," he also was enough of a visionary to campaign for a small expandable 40,000 seat on-campus stadium. That would look fantastic right now although at the time I thought it was unnecessary, given the incredible home impact of the Orange Bowl.

In response to Schnellenberger's stadium proposal, the University of Miami president said, "Win a national championship, then we'll talk," an arrogant reference to Miami's spring 1982 first baseball title. When Schnellenberger delivered a year later, the president sidestepped the issue. I was hardly surprised when Schnellenberger bolted months later.

Of course, even in the early to mid '80s a stadium faced severe hurdles. It needed to be done decades earlier, before spiraling property values and massive influence of the local commission.

Lou Saban brought Jim Kelly....but he still only went 9-13 in 2 seasons...

From 1926-1978....Miami's coaches went a combined 273-228-17....a .486 winning percentage...

As Awsi pointed out....Schnellenberger dreamed of championships....

...and set the table for the success that the coaches that succeeded him like JJ, Erickson, Butch, etc. would have....

It's interesting...

Lou may have saved the program....that's one way of looking at it.....but Schnellenberger made it worth saving...

Back
Top Bottom