Our D-line | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our D-line

Originally posted by steve_t
You have to be able to generate some kind of rush with you D-line, and I don't see anyone outside of JT to get that done.

Sometimes I still have visions of T. Armstrong racking up the sacks in my dreams....I know he got seriously hurt last season, and may never return to the way he was that last season we had him, but it's a great memory as we sit here today.....

I seriously trust that the R. Burnett/J. Taylor tandem, along with a rotation of D. Bowens, J. Williams, A. Ogunleye is going to come along and look just fine. It may not be the best, but it should be able to hold it's own. Let's wait it out and see first....

D. Bowens could look like a breath of fresh air once he gets into action during T. Camp. You know I'll be watching him close.

I doubt this years pass rush could be any worse than it was a year ago.....Last season we had practically nothing opposite J. Taylor. It's time for some new faces.....

R. Burnett and J. Williams are experienced, know the position, and pretty damn reliable. Something D. Gardener only wished he could be.....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

I hate to be the voice of reason here, but Burnett and Williams had a combined total of 1 sack last year. That total may go up this season because of the coverage play of Madison and Surtain, but I don't think that these guys are going to get us to the big show. Letting Lo go is looking bad.

bromell I liked .. but alll the rest of the moves i can live with ...I have been all for DG's release for a while now and my prayers have been answered .. I HOPE some dumba** afc team picks him up!!! He will hurt them more than help i gaurentee and also he will not make the kind of money that miami gave him ,thats for damn sure ! We gave him the mmon 2 years ago ,when he was suppose to become a PROBOWLER.. please! the closest he was betting to a probowl was talking about it every damn year!! Even after his back surgery he talked sh*t about going to the probowl again and of course what happens ? Once again JJ missed on a first rounder !!!! What a waste of draft picks ...Yatil Green,Jon Avery,and DG... man would i like to have those picks back....any way on to the future ..and lets hope the young ones step up !!

I really have a problem with some of the DG bashing that I have seen. This guy PRODUCED. His problem obviously, was staying on the field. I can't see how anyone can argue with the fact that when healthy, as rare as that may have been, he was a force in the middle of our defnse.

Yes, he may be going through some rough personal times lately, but let's not lower ourselves to bash him, now that he is not a fin anymore. If you had a problem with him, fine, just wish him well now, and be done with it. After all, he WAS a dolphin for what, 7 years?

I agree Scott. He is a monster when healthy, but he just didnt get along with the other teammates(from what we hear). I hope all of his personal problems are resolved, but I thought it was very selfious of him to go out like this. The coach gave him plenty of chances(as did teammates), but he never took advantages of it.

Gardener made SI's Midseason All-Pro team last year. He was a beast. Back in 98(?) when Bowens made the Pro Bowl, everyone knew Gardener deserved it more. Gardener was a BEAST.

I can't agree when someone says that JJ missed on this pick. Jimmy nailed this one. It's just that injuries robbed him. Same with Yatil. I hate when people nail Jimmy to the cross because Yatil suffered freak injuries.

Originally posted by Muck
Gardener made SI's Midseason All-Pro team last year. He was a beast. Back in 98(?) when Bowens made the Pro Bowl, everyone knew Gardener deserved it more. Gardener was a BEAST.

I can't agree when someone says that JJ missed on this pick. Jimmy nailed this one. It's just that injuries robbed him. Same with Yatil. I hate when people nail Jimmy to the cross because Yatil suffered freak injuries.

Imagine if JJ picked Ray Lewis or Eric Moulds instead of DG.

Can't look at it that way. After the first 4 years, this pick looked better than the Moulds or Lewis picks because DG was a perennial world-beater and Zach Thomas was still better than Ray Lewis. We had two cornerstones to the defense come out of that draft. If we had picked Lewis, we probably wouldn't have drafted Zach.

Williams really has never proven anything, despite having the opportunity. Bowens could be a real wild card, despite being released by others. Sometimes players improve over a few years. We cut Norman Hand a few years ago and he did very well for the Chargers.

Check out this from the Palm Beach Post. I kind of suspected this, to a degree, but wasn't sure, but these figures are really eyeopening concerning the actual, statistic importance of DG to our run defense.

By Todd Archer, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Sunday, July 21, 2002

But look a little closer at the run defense in the 14 games Gardener missed and the 18 games he played the previous two seasons, and the difference is 7 yards per game. With Gardener, the Dolphins allowed 106.3 yards on the ground per game. When he was out with back injuries, they allowed 113.2 rushing yards per game.

Given the potential headache Gardener could have posed by upsetting teammates or getting hurt again, is 7 yards worth it?

Seven yards??? Lotta headache for 7 yards!!!

Back
Top Bottom