Our Defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our Defense

Phinfan31

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I always talk very highly of our D, we have alot of talent. But these guys need to start getting obnoxious, the reason the pats D is so good is because those guys are always pumped up beyond belief and go out their to take peoples heads off. We can say some of our guys have that but i never see our D really go at it to knock the **** out of the offense. They usually soften up later in the game. We need our guys to get some more aggression and really go out there to F*CK people up. The titans have the same kind of attitude and their D holds strong. If our guys played with more agression our D would dominate everyone. They need to start gettin more mean.

Amen.

Our D is good. But its not a kick you in the mouth step on you when you're down D. They need to light a fire under their butts.

I agree, we have the worst tackling defense in the league, besides maybe the Colts, but they're undersized. I get so frustrated everytime i see one or our players miss a tackle that turns a 5 yard loss into a 10 yard gain. It all goes back to what I've always said about Wanstedt, he's a bad teacher and a horrible motivator. He thinks you can just go out and get all the good players and you automatically win. HATE.

Yeah I really think any one of us could go in there and give those guys the killer instinct and then theyd knock the **** out of the other team. Jr Seau and Knight etc were supossed to bring that attitude and Jr does get kinda crazy but hes the only one.

Now i wouldnt go as far as saying we are the worst tackling team, if anything at all we are one of the best tackling defenses. but at times its like our defense just gives up especially in the big games that count. for example the philedelphia game i mean we couldnt of tackled a damn thing that night, but i bet if we could have gotten parcells our team would be a little more agressive like the cowboys, i think wanny is just to soft.

Dave should try and do it himself, not bring in FAs and hope they bring it to the lockerroom, do you guys think Dan will have much player contact??I hope hes there with them in the lockerroom during games but I doubt it. Probably watching the game with Wayne somewhere up high.

Originally posted by Lukin
I agree, we have the worst tackling defense in the league, besides maybe the Colts, but they're undersized. I get so frustrated everytime i see one or our players miss a tackle that turns a 5 yard loss into a 10 yard gain. It all goes back to what I've always said about Wanstedt, he's a bad teacher and a horrible motivator. He thinks you can just go out and get all the good players and you automatically win. HATE.

That's probably the most ignorant statement I've seen posted here.

This team has a defense that is in the top 5 in scoring, top 10 in total defense, and was the #1 redzone defense in the NFL, yet you want to call them the worst tackling defense in the league.

Ridiculous!

If this team was so terrible at tackling, they would not be rated as high as they are.

If you want to gripe about something with this defense, make it something that is legitimate. Gripe about the tendancy to overpursue which opens up cut back lanes for runners. Gripe about the lack of range in the safeties and how they are late in help coverage most of the time. Gripe about how Junior Seau takes himself out of plays because he is freelancing instead of carrying out his assignment.

Don't make something up like you did in this post.

If youre arguing with me that we dont have as much intensity and that burning rage such as the Titans and Pat defenses then youre very wrong. We dont and we need that. Our defense is awesome, but we just need that fire.

you forgot to mention one other stat kbisback, we were also the only defense not to allow a 100-yard rusher this season, i think thats pretty impressive considering the guys we played, like:

curtis martin,travis henry,fred taylor,tiki barber,ladanian tomlinson,
edgerin james,eddie george,and even jamal lewis

now i think thats pretty impresive.

In all likelyhood, everyone of those opinions posted are correct...

This defense does not get nasty with the oponents when it's a BIG game...

Miss too many tackles and give to many third and long for FDs...

This defense has a confidence problem. When it comes to adversity they don't believe in themselves to overcome it (ex. they cannot win the games they need to as a team)...

This defense is a great against opponents in the RED ZONE. Allowing 14 TDs (4 pass, 10 runs), and 17 FG...

This defense allowed 9 TDs from beyond the Red Zone (8 pass, 1 run), and 9 FGs. Now this stat I don't like, it should favor FGs, instead it depicts the defense is giving up the BIG plays for TDs, that have been killer for this team. Not a part of a top 5 defense in my opinion...

This defense is ranked 3rd in points scored against (261)...

This defense is ranked 19 against the pass (208 ypg)...

It would be great if I could use as a consilation that this defense did not give up a 100 yds to a RB this year, but I cannot.

This defense would have been scored at will if we would have been in the first round of the Playoffs (KC, Indi, Tenn). The only teams we would have had a chance of beating would have been Baltimore...

Here is to the defense of 2004 :drinkers: and to the year where they get an attitude (and not just for one or two games) like those two teams in the SB...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the defense was excellent in run stopping this year. The pass defense didn't seem to be as good as previous years especially at giving up the big play.

If we get an attack style offense that runs defenses over and puts some points on the board then that should make our defense more well rested and they should play with more attitude knowing that the offense can score points.

Originally posted by Disnardo
In all likelyhood, everyone of those opinions posted are correct...

This defense does not get nasty with the oponents when it's a BIG game...

Miss too many tackles and give to many third and long for FDs...

This defense has a confidence problem. When it comes to adversity they don't believe in themselves to overcome it (ex. they cannot win the games they need to as a team)...

This defense is a great against opponents in the RED ZONE. Allowing 14 TDs (4 pass, 10 runs), and 17 FG...

This defense allowed 9 TDs from beyond the Red Zone (8 pass, 1 run), and 9 FGs. Now this stat I don't like, it should favor FGs, instead it depicts the defense is giving up the BIG plays for TDs, that have been killer for this team. Not a part of a top 5 defense in my opinion...

This defense is ranked in points scored against (261)...

This defense is ranked 19 against the pass (208 ypg)...

It would be great if I could use as a consilation that this defense did not give up a 100 yds to a RB this year, but I cannot.

This defense would have been scored at will if we would have been in the first round of the Playoffs (KC, Indi, Tenn). The only teams we would have had a chance of beating would have been Baltimore...

Here is to the defense of 2004 :drinkers: and to the year where they get an attitude (and not just for one or two games) like those two teams in the SB...

Well said Sir.

we really need a coach thats just a freakin hardass! We shoulda gotten Coughlin or Parcells man....thats what we need to get this team to play some smack-em in the mouth football. Imagine how good this team could be if they played with a nasty attitude, lol.

i don't think our defense "softens up" during the course of the game... the defensive coordinators change schemes when we get a little bit ahead, and they drop back into coverage instead of playing smash-mouth football.....

i don't know why they do this... its like they WANT the opponent to get back in the game.

why can't we just KEEP shutting out the other team all the way through - don't give them a chance to breathe.

i think its more of a function of the defensive coaches and coaching in general than the players.

and the players apparently love wannstedt - remember how they played those last two games... they played with so much heart, the announcers were even noticing the players were "playing for wannstedt".

Sorry to bring this thread back up again...

I forgot to mention that according to the Dolphins Digest, our talented defense led the team in the penalty category...

The team was 13th (913 yds.) in the league in fewest penalties (total of 103), and 20th for fewest penalty yds. Also 23 penalties were declined...

Jason Taylor our All-pro led the team with the most penalties (11 times)...

Also our All-pro Brock Marion was penalyzed for the most yards (80 yd on 3 penalties)...

And in case someone says its DW fault, I agree, but JJ and Shula (in his last 2 years) did not do a whole lot better. JJ avg in penalties through his 4 years was 104 and Shula was 101.

Hopefully we can improve in this are next year....

Back
Top Bottom