Our Defense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our Defense

our D was as good as NE and Carolina this year. That was not the problem. I w/like to see Sammy be a little more of a hitter than Harrison, but he proved that he is not as good Harrison this year to me at least. Which is not to say, he is not good, but Harrison played great and Sammy was just OK.

There is no reason to doubt our D is good enough, the problem with them is make too much money so that we do not have the $$$$ to spend getting a half-decent O

Originally posted by dolphan39
our D was as good as NE and Carolina this year. That was not the problem. I w/like to see Sammy be a little more of a hitter than Harrison, but he proved that he is not as good Harrison this year to me at least. Which is not to say, he is not good, but Harrison played great and Sammy was just OK.

There is no reason to doubt our D is good enough, the problem with them is make too much money so that we do not have the $$$$ to spend getting a half-decent O

our d was nowhere near as good as the sb participants. this d has always been good, but they are not championship caliber. when the going gets tough and a play has to be made, championship caliber defenses make those plays. this d has never made that big play. for instance: 1) vs the pats, it was a stalemate for most of the game, but the pats' d made the big play, the finz d didn't. 2) vs the ravens in the 2002 playoffs- another stalemate, but the ravens' d kept on making big plays and the finz' d's tent folded. 3) vs the pats in last year's season finale, an 11 point lead with 5 minutes to go, and nobody stepped up and made a play to secure a playoff berth, and they had three chances to do so. 4) vs houston this year, 3rd and 8, up 20-18, this d gives up a first down ON THE GROUND to let them into fg range. there are numerous other examples, but this d has to decide where their path leads them-just another good defense or one that people remember

Originally posted by Phinfan31
I always talk very highly of our D, we have alot of talent. But these guys need to start getting obnoxious, the reason the pats D is so good is because those guys are always pumped up beyond belief and go out their to take peoples heads off. We can say some of our guys have that but i never see our D really go at it to knock the **** out of the offense. They usually soften up later in the game. We need our guys to get some more aggression and really go out there to F*CK people up. The titans have the same kind of attitude and their D holds strong. If our guys played with more agression our D would dominate everyone. They need to start gettin more mean.

Last year we had a big debate about what our D should be nicknamed. until they show me some guts and determination and heart/desire, I must contend that my choice remains the very same.................

Wanny's WEENIES !!! :lol: :lol: but i should be :cry: :cry:

Originally posted by KBISBACK

That's probably the most ignorant statement I've seen posted here.

This team has a defense that is in the top 5 in scoring, top 10 in total defense, and was the #1 redzone defense in the NFL, yet you want to call them the worst tackling defense in the league.

Ridiculous!

If this team was so terrible at tackling, they would not be rated as high as they are.

If you want to gripe about something with this defense, make it something that is legitimate. Gripe about the tendancy to overpursue which opens up cut back lanes for runners. Gripe about the lack of range in the safeties and how they are late in help coverage most of the time. Gripe about how Junior Seau takes himself out of plays because he is freelancing instead of carrying out his assignment.

Don't make something up like you did in this post.

Ridiculous??? IMO, it was pretty accurate. I don't care it they were the #1 rated D in all categories, they didn't get us over the edge like they are "suppossed" to. You have a half dozen players on D eating up over 40 mil of cap space and you want to cut'em a break???? You got ta be kidding me, right??

How can you say sammy knight isnt that good, as a matter of fact i think he was our best pick up last year, and sammy knight can hit to, i remember in the jets game he layed somoene out and few other games he did to, but what i like most about sammy is his intinsity, when we were playing philladelphia on monday night, i remember seeing sammy try to punch a guy three times and i seen him even trying to fight an offensive lineman, go back and look at the tape if you dont believe me, but anyway im just sayin sammy is probally our most physical player on defense and he can be as good as rodney harrison.

Originally posted by dolfan34
you forgot to mention one other stat kbisback, we were also the only defense not to allow a 100-yard rusher this season, i think thats pretty impressive considering the guys we played, like:

curtis martin,travis henry,fred taylor,tiki barber,ladanian tomlinson,
edgerin james,eddie george,and even jamal lewis

now i think thats pretty impresive.

I would rather of given up a handfull of 100 yd rushers to be able to go deep into the playoffs. Seems like alot of ppl are getting all giddy on #s. Of course, i guess there ain't much else to get giddy on! :lol:

Originally posted by Phishstix

our d was nowhere near as good as the sb participants. this d has always been good, but they are not championship caliber. when the going gets tough and a play has to be made, championship caliber defenses make those plays. this d has never made that big play. for instance: 1) vs the pats, it was a stalemate for most of the game, but the pats' d made the big play, the finz d didn't. 2) vs the ravens in the 2002 playoffs- another stalemate, but the ravens' d kept on making big plays and the finz' d's tent folded. 3) vs the pats in last year's season finale, an 11 point lead with 5 minutes to go, and nobody stepped up and made a play to secure a playoff berth, and they had three chances to do so. 4) vs houston this year, 3rd and 8, up 20-18, this d gives up a first down ON THE GROUND to let them into fg range. there are numerous other examples, but this d has to decide where their path leads them-just another good defense or one that people remember

THANK YOU SIR!
You summed it up quite well.
Wwhen you come to accept that having a defense ranked well in certain stats, then that is what ya get.
But when you EXPECT your defense to both rank well and MAKE CRUCIAL PLAYS, that is where the rubber meets the road IMHO.

Miami's defense has not hit the pavement yet.

The dallas players are afraid......that if they don't meet Parcell's expectations that they will be out on the street.......I don't think that is true with our phins players.......too many of them act like its a good thing that Miami has them...they are not all that worried about them staying on the team......someone needs to shake them up......tell them what the expectations are........and then enforce it!

You know, I don't think players now a days are intimidated to play for strict coaches. They make to much money and are members of players union...

The difference is that some players have character, discipline and heart. They don't really need any motivation to produce...

Those that don't will always be bouncing from team to team and produce only when they see it as a benefit, or left unemployed...

Hey I would not mind making the NFL minimum wage for a few years, so why would those that are underachievers?

they need a guy like Warren Sapp to fire them up

Originally posted by nick19991
they need a guy like Warren Sapp to fire them up

you got to be fing kidding me, no thanks! all he does is run his mouth, argue with coaches and players, and he didnt have a good year last year.

as much as i dont like this guy he would get our D fired up..........

ray lewis

Back
Top Bottom