Our Kick Return game is equally important as our QB situation | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our Kick Return game is equally important as our QB situation

You really think Brunell wants to come here so he can be booted out similarly to how he was in Jacksonville.

Im sure that is what he told his agent. "Yea just get me a spot on the team so I can play until this rookie takes my job."

The effect that Dante Hall had on KC's team can not be overstated. He is an amazing returner and has made a successful position change to WR.

That being said, he was a 5th round RB that measured to 5 foot 8. Simply too small for most scouts to see him being productive in the NFL.

I really like what Sam Simmons can do. It's a shame that he got injured and did not win the starting PR/KR spot at the beginning of the season. It wouldn't hurt to take a late round pick on a small speed player to compete for the return spot.

Mark Brunell isn't stupid. Jacksonville is rebuilding, as we aren't, it's not like Brunell is a really young guy coming in to compete with someone. He comes in teaches another while trying to win a Super Bowl.

Originally posted by Dolfan4life
Mind readers that is funny as well. Sorry Ill be more clear next time. Anything to help out.

Oh yea and T. Minor was consistent. Consistently capable of catching the ball. Consistently capable of placing his left foot in front of his right foot and vise versa. And Consistently capable of providing excellent Field position at the 20- 25 yard line. That is our 20-25 yard line not the opponents.

All teams should be so fortunate to have such a consistent kick returner.

He held on to the ball and consistently got the ball to around the 30 yard line. Granted, this is nothing special but it's adequate and it's certainly not an area of pressing need for the 'Fins. In order, here are the offseason priorities by position: QB, WR, OL (between Smith, McKinney, Nails, Whitley, and Jerman (sp?) we may not need too much help here), Safety, DE (assuming Ogun leaves), and finally, kick returner. Sorry, KR just isn't that big of a deal this offseason and you're not going to convince me, or 99% of the rest of the people around here, that it is.

Well if a post is going to be wrong it might as well be 100% wrong, why fool around? Rivers will not do anything before 2006 or 2007? Why, because you say so?We bring in a veteran and groom Rivers behind him until he's ready. That could be next year very easily especially if we improve our O-Line dramatically during the off season. And yes, somewhere later in the draft we should bring in a speedy kick returner who can also contribute elsewhere such as on Special Teams or at reciever or running back. Having Rickey to hand the ball to is a great luxury for a young Q.B. From that comes play-action passes, the chains are moving and the kid developes in the right way and he becomes a confidant and productive player. Before we worry about how long it will take him to start helping us I think we'd better get him first.

You really think Brunell wants to come here so he can be booted out similarly to how he was in Jacksonville.

Im sure that is what he told his agent. "Yea just get me a spot on the team so I can play until this rookie takes my job."

Come on brains, think about this for a minute. If the 'Fins were to both draft a rookie AND bring in Brunell it would be with the understanding that Brunell would be here to groom his understudy. I'm sure he's well aware of the FACT that he's on the downside of his career and that, regardless of where he goes, he's not going to be any team's long term soluting at QB.

Do you think Tampa, Oakland, or Dallas is going to give him their #1 job outright and say to him "You're the man and we're not going to groom anyone behind you because we're confident you can play at a superior level well into your late thirties!" Get real! Miami is a perfect situation for him especially if we bring in a young understudy.

Originally posted by BSQX4
Well if a post is going to be wrong it might as well be 100% wrong, why fool around? Rivers will not do anything before 2006 or 2007? Why, because you say so?We bring in a veteran and groom Rivers behind him until he's ready. That could be next year very easily especially if we improve our O-Line dramatically during the off season. And yes, somewhere later in the draft we should bring in a speedy kick returner who can also contribute elsewhere such as on Special Teams or at reciever or running back. Having Rickey to hand the ball to is a great luxury for a young Q.B. From that comes play-action passes, the chains are moving and the kid developes in the right way and he becomes a confidant and productive player. Before we worry about how long it will take him to start helping us I think we'd better get him first.

:lol: Nice post and very true! :up:

His situation in Jacksonville is that he's holding the clipboard for Byron Leftwich. That's not very compelling is it. To come to the Miami Dolphins and start for a team that is clearly after a Superbowl in a big way is compelling. He knows that at his age and at this stage of his career there will be someone being groomed and waiting in the wings. That's just the way it is in the N.F.L. I frankly don't know what Brunell has left in the tank. It's been a long time since his Jacksonville team spanked our Jimmie Johnson coached team 62-7 in the playoffs. He's had injury problems and has been demoted to second string. I also don't know what Kurt Warner has left. We need Marino to make the call on what veteran Quarterback is the best fit for this Dolphin team. I think Garcia is a playmaker but I don't know if we have a real shot at him. We have to really make the right decision here before we jettison Fiedler and Griese. What if Marino likes Griese? Does anyone know his opinion on either Griese or Jay? Any quotes? Q.B. is so crucial, we must be very careful we don't end up with someone like a Jeff George. If we can't get Eli I'm leaning so far toward a Brunell/ Rivers combination. It feels like a winner to me.

OK lets draft Rivers, get Brunell, and address other needs via FA.

This is "Brains" (I like the sound of that) checking out of this thread.

Atleast I got some good responses right.

Anyway, don't forget we all want the same thing and that is to see the FINS in the big game next year.

He may be overstating it, but it is something that needs to be improved. We've never had a great returner as far back as I can remember. When was the last TD scored on a return?

Anyway, don't forget we all want the same thing and that is to see the FINS in the big game next year.

I'd rather see us win the big game next year.

Mind readers that is funny as well. Sorry Ill be more clear next time. Anything to help out.

Oh yea and T. Minor was consistent. Consistently capable of catching the ball. Consistently capable of placing his left foot in front of his right foot and vise versa. And Consistently capable of providing excellent Field position at the 20- 25 yard line. That is our 20-25 yard line not the opponents.

All teams should be so fortunate to have such a consistent kick returner.

D4L has a point y'all. A KR is HARDLY as important as a #2 QB, however, our special teams play DID lack a good spark.

I don't think anybody will disagree that we lost several games by a mere few plays. A great runback or two may have helped sway the other direction in W/L column.....positives are good REGARDLESS of which team they come from.

I'd like to see somebody else returning besides Minor next year myself.

Originally posted by bigmiamifan
He may be overstating it, but it is something that needs to be improved. We've never had a great returner as far back as I can remember. When was the last TD scored on a return?
I'm not sure of the date, but I'm pretty sure it was Mercury Morris.

;)

Back
Top Bottom