Our Problem: Players Or Coaching... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our Problem: Players Or Coaching...

Charlie Rivers

SUPERBOWL BOUND!!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
We are 4 out-of 5 after a 3-0 start. Are the issues were having of late mainly the result of player talent, or is coaching the problem? If your answer is both, then give us a percentage - is more than 50% of the problems stemming from the players lack of execution, or it the coaching, the play calling?

I personally think that it is mostly the play calling. You?

gase.coach.jpg

Last edited:
Personally. The fan base's impatience. This "win now" culture that has taken hold of the NFL is the biggest problem. Coaches and head offices aren't really given the time they need to build a winning team anymore. If a team isn't in the playoffs the in the second year of a regime change everyone is calling for the heads to roll. Nobody seems to want to give people a chance to change things anymore.

outside people looking at the dolphins have pointed to our young defense and admit there is serious talent there. But we let Matt Burke run them into the literal ground for two years with his crap scheme. But you look at the development of Howard, Godchaux and Taylor and you see good coaching. The LBs continue to be an issue and a coaching change must be made at the positional level.

On offense the dolphins have two bookend tackles who have at times dominated. Once again coaching by Washburn helped both achieve this level. But the same coaching staff and Gase can't fill the interior with any consistent players.

If you were to really look and analyze you probably find about a 50/50 split on either bad coaching or personnel and that makes the dolphins issues harder to solve

Personally. The fan base's impatience. This "win now" culture that has taken hold of the NFL is the biggest problem. Coaches and head offices aren't really given the time they need to build a winning team anymore. If a team isn't in the playoffs the in the second year of a regime change everyone is calling for the heads to roll. Nobody seems to want to give people a chance to change things anymore.
You are partially right. But I want to see improvement and we have seen little if any from the coaching regimes we have had in the last 18 years. Either they would come in and have improvement from the last regime then steadily regress over time. Or, they would come in and just get at a state of stagnation and nothing would happen, which might be more frustrating.

I disagree strongly. I can't speak for the rest of the frustrated Dolphins fanbase, but if the Dolphins were showing signs of improvement, even gradual improvement, I would be SO much more patient. It's actually the opposite - the team looks progressively worse in terms of preparation and growth in each of Gase's years here. I can totally pin that on Gase, and it's not a question of being impatient - it's a case of a guy not getting the job done. We could have given Cam Cameron another 4 years to see if he could have figured things out in Miami (sadly, some on this message board actually advocated for this), but it was clear that the team wasn't headed in the right direction. Gase isn't as bad as Cameron, but players aren't improving...replacement assistant coaches are doing worse than their predecessors (Burke and Oden)...coaches consistently make boneheaded decisions on both offense and defense that are costing the team wins. These aren't made-up conspiracy theories by impatient fanboys. These are real issues that I don't see getting fixed without Ross firing Gase, Tannenbaum, and Grier.

I disagree strongly. I can't speak for the rest of the frustrated Dolphins fanbase, but if the Dolphins were showing signs of improvement, even gradual improvement, I would be SO much more patient. It's actually the opposite - the team looks progressively worse in terms of preparation and growth in each of Gase's years here. I can totally pin that on Gase, and it's not a question of being impatient - it's a case of a guy not getting the job done. We could have given Cam Cameron another 4 years to see if he could have figured things out in Miami (sadly, some on this message board actually advocated for this), but it was clear that the team wasn't headed in the right direction. Gase isn't as bad as Cameron, but players aren't improving...replacement assistant coaches are doing worse than their predecessors (Burke and Oden)...coaches consistently make boneheaded decisions on both offense and defense that are costing the team wins. These aren't made-up conspiracy theories by impatient fanboys. These are real issues that I don't see getting fixed without Ross firing Gase, Tannenbaum, and Grier.
Gase is hired and Dolphins made the playoffs in 2016 and everyone was happy. People actually believed they would be in the playoffs for the next five years because Miami improved in one year under Gase. The next year half the fan base was calling for Gase's head because they didn't make the playoffs. This year over half the fan base wants pretty much the entire staff and most of the players gone. This is all despite not having the starting quarterback for all of his second year and then injuries galore this year. Yes play calling has sucked but it is damned rare that coaches can make plays work with back ups. If it wasn't rare then the playoffs would be different every year. So yes, impatience in the fan base is a huge problem and not just in Miami.

Gase is hired and Dolphins made the playoffs in 2016 and everyone was happy. People actually believed they would be in the playoffs for the next five years because Miami improved in one year under Gase. The next year half the fan base was calling for Gase's head because they didn't make the playoffs. This year over half the fan base wants pretty much the entire staff and most of the players gone. This is all despite not having the starting quarterback for all of his second year and then injuries galore this year. Yes play calling has sucked but it is damned rare that coaches can make plays work with back ups. If it wasn't rare then the playoffs would be different every year. So yes, impatience in the fan base is a huge problem and not just in Miami.
Brother you have to admit we have had an awful dry spell since we went deep into the playoffs let alone be a competing team year in and year out.

Last edited:
This is a tough question. It might be something else. Think about how long it has been since we have been a consistently "successful" franchise. We have changed so many players AND coaches. I'm still going with indian burial ground curse until I'm shown other wise. :)

Back
Top Bottom