Overpass supposedly collapses near Dolphin Expressway (Updated) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Overpass supposedly collapses near Dolphin Expressway (Updated)

TerryTate

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Pertinent because its in Doral, somewhat near Dolphins Stadium. Stay tuned on this one folks.

UPDATE EDIT

MIAMI (AP) Miami-Dade Fire rescue units are trying to rush to the Dolphin Expressway in the Doral area, after an overpass under construction at 97Th avenue apparently collapsed onto the county’s busiest east-west artery. Hurricane Katrina is dumping sheets of rain, kicking up the surf and blowing strong winds ashore, killing two people who were hit by falling trees.
There is no information about possible injuries in the overpass collapse, but there apparently was traffic on the roadway when the incident happened. The storm surprised forecasters by taking a turn south when it moved over land, slicing across Miami-dade County. In a bit of irony, the storm's eye pased over the National Hurricane Center in West Miami-Dade.
Authorities say the first fatality occurred in Fort Lauderdale when a man said to be in his 20s was crushed by a falling tree as he sat alone in his car near a high school. The second fatality was a pedestrian struck by a falling tree in the Fort Lauderdale suburb of Plantation.

flyover on construction on 386 collapsed onto the dolphin expressway. its true.

also over a million homes without power.

Dade County residents that still have power or anyone else that knows this, because I dont remember...how close is this collapse to Dolphins Stadium...it happened in Doral, the Stadium is in Miami Gardens.

TerryTate said:
Pertinent because its in Doral, somewhat near Dolphins Stadium. Stay tuned on this one folks.

Yeah, I've been without power and listening to radio reports of all the damage. Amazing. Now they're describing a 7/11 station that has been destroyed and all the gas pumps yanked out of the ground. I definitely underestimated this thing.

The flyover that collapsed near the Dolphin Expressway at NW 97th Avenue was apparently under construction. I think the eastbound lanes are closed but westbound open. Now they're saying the entire segment between Dolphin Expressway and the Palmetto Expressway is closed. That shouldn't impact Dolphin Stadium, which is to the northwest of that area. Those roadways are more vital to traffic going to the Orange Bowl. Dolphin Expressway was named long before the team moved out of the Orange Bowl.

The radio reports indicate the Friday weather will be worse than anticipated. If it's significantly bad all day, you migth hear rumblings about rescheduling the game. But it helps we are playing Tampa, a team with a short trip that could even fly in on Saturday if needed. If we were playing someone from a distant state, the gametime would be in more jeopardy, IMO.

TerryTate said:
Dade County residents that still have power or anyone else that knows this, because I dont remember...how close is this collapse to Dolphins Stadium...it happened in Doral, the Stadium is in Miami Gardens.

Dolphins Stadium is just south of the Dade-Broward county line. The flyover collapse is west of the downtown Miami area near Miami International Airport. They are about 15-20 miles apart, roughly.

That's incredible. I hope no one was hurt!

its really gonna cause commuter issues but no major issues with dolphin stadium, Terry its the same as downtown disney to UCF campus thats the gap between the two

TerryTate said:

UPDATE EDIT

MIAMI (AP) Miami-Dade Fire rescue units are trying to rush to the Dolphin Expressway in the Doral area, after an overpass under construction at 97Th avenue apparently collapsed onto the county’s busiest east-west artery. Hurricane Katrina is dumping sheets of rain, kicking up the surf and blowing strong winds ashore, killing two people who were hit by falling trees.
There is no information about possible injuries in the overpass collapse, but there apparently was traffic on the roadway when the incident happened. The storm surprised forecasters by taking a turn south when it moved over land, slicing across Miami-dade County. In a bit of irony, the storm's eye pased over the National Hurricane Center in West Miami-Dade.
Authorities say the first fatality occurred in Fort Lauderdale when a man said to be in his 20s was crushed by a falling tree as he sat alone in his car near a high school. The second fatality was a pedestrian struck by a falling tree in the Fort Lauderdale suburb of Plantation.

Wow. Thanks for the info. I have friends/family down there. :titanic:

Medieval954 said:
Dolphins Stadium is just south of the Dade-Broward county line. The flyover collapse is somewhat southwest of the downtown Miami area. They are about 15-20 miles apart, roughly.

not if the address of NW 97th is correct

Yeah, I've been without power and listening to radio reports of all the damage. Amazing.

Not trying to be a smart-*** or anything, but if you're without power & are listening to radio reports how are you posting on here?

Wow. All this due to a Tropical Storm? Has it been upped to a hurricane yet? I have been out of the loop. Hope everyone is alright.

Back
Top Bottom