Overpass supposedly collapses near Dolphin Expressway (Updated) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Overpass supposedly collapses near Dolphin Expressway (Updated)

Everybody was underestimating this thing. And why not?? After what the state went thru last year, a Category 1 sounds almost like a blessing.

But even this Category 1 storm has managed to kill people, cause damage and leave millions without power within hours of landfall. :(

SMadison29 said:
Not trying to be a smart-*** or anything, but if you're without power & are listening to radio reports how are you posting on here?

Well there are UPS's and laptops that work off of batteries. Most ISP's have some serious generators running during such emergencies as well. It is quite possible to be connected and posting during an outage.

yeah its a category 1 hurricane... nothing major(edit: from where i'm sitting in coral springs... bad winds and ain but nothing horrible yet), you can actually check it out on google earth (earth.google.com) download this place marker and one of the overlays is the hurricane itself

Once you have google earth installed rename the attached file (take of the .txt) and it will take you right to the stadium and thewhats actually happening down here

Yeah, and someone said this was a bad thunderstorm. :nono:

I hope everyone is ok in S. Florida.

SMadison29 said:
Not trying to be a smart-*** or anything, but if you're without power & are listening to radio reports how are you posting on here?
:lol: I was thinking the same thing. But at least his priorities are straight -- have power, will post.

BlitPhinFan said:
Well there are UPS's and laptops that work off of batteries. Most ISP's have some serious generators running during such emergencies as well. It is quite possible to be connected and posting during an outage.

Doesn't sound logical though considering a cable modem & router still require power & aren't battery operated.

SMadison29 said:
Doesn't sound logical though considering a cable modem & router still require power & aren't battery operated.

it is possible if he has dialup internet.

cnc66 said:
not if the address of NW 97th is correct

Yup, you're right. I thought it said SW 97th Ave. NW 97th and Dolphin Expressway would put it right near Miami International Airport.

I have a major UPS on my computer APC 1500 with battery pack to last me 8 hours if power is out and an APC 2200 for my tv with an exteral battery pack to do about 6-8 hours fo tv. I got my priorities straight... screw the fridge and fans i need football and internet !!!!

byroan said:
Yeah, and someone said this was a bad thunderstorm. :nono:

I hope everyone is ok in S. Florida.

lets hope it blows itself out without too much more damage...Strange, have been watching the Atlanta Falcons playing the Jags in Jacksonville and it is been teeming down rain for quite awhile in Jax and here in Orlando we haven't had a drop. Forcast here is for rain for the entire next week...so far nothing...I guess the worst is yet to come....Losing power is no fun, even with a generator...It's still ungodly hot...here's hoping (and praying) Katrina weakens and goes away quietly......

Medieval954 said:
Yup, you're right. I thought it said SW 97th Ave. NW 97th and Dolphin Expressway would put it right near Miami International Airport.

after reconsideration, it is still a LONG way away from Dolphins stadium. The Dolphin Expressway is close to West Flagler and that is where nw-sw meet

death7star said:
it is possible if he has dialup internet.

That's the correct old school answer. I'm on an iBook with an internal dial-up modem. The phone line is still functioning. In fact, 13 years ago the phone never went out during Andrew even though the power was out for 3 weeks. When the storm got bad I switched from my dad's computer with the DSL hookup and turned on my iBook with the phone connection. We lost power around 9 PM but the battery has taken over. Unfortunately it wasn't fully charged and I'm down to 40% battery life now.

On edit: oh yeah, the radio is on battery, to provide the so-called rest of the story. I have a great battery operated little TV but neglected to haul it from Las Vegas this time.

Damn, that's right by where I live.

I haven't been watching the news. My whole building was shaking. This is the first time i've felt a huricane like that, and this was just a category 1.

I thought the sliding doors would blow out, but they made it in one piece...

That overpass isn't anywhere near the stadium...

Muck said:
Everybody was underestimating this thing. And why not?? After what the state went thru last year, a Category 1 sounds almost like a blessing.

But even this Category 1 storm has managed to kill people, cause damage and leave millions without power within hours of landfall. :(

The unqiue thing about this 'cane is that it didn't weaken when it made landfall like most of them do. The reason for this was that this storm literally formed on Wednesday morning and made landfall on Thursday night. It was still forming right as it hit the coast, so while it luckily didn't continue strengthening, it didn't weaken like we all expected it to.

Add that to the fact that it is a very slow-moving storm (I heard it was moving W at 6 mph, which essentially means it's not moving much at all), and that people heard the words "tropical storm" and figured that it was nothing major, and we're lucky that things didn't turn out worse than initial reports seem to indicate.

Back
Top Bottom