Overrated or Underrated, you make the call...... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Overrated or Underrated, you make the call......

Originally posted by Dajesus
I hate media guys that don't actully watch all the games but rather analyze stats to write their off base colums. How can he say Surtain was better than Madison? I don't want to bash Pat, but Prisco is way off base, and has no idea what a corners job is. Hey Pete a good CB in the NFL will blanket his WR so well that the QB won't even look at that WR. After rewatching the games from last season i found out that the opposing QB on average would only throw at Sam about 2.5 times a game. Most of these passes were around the same time that Sam releases hjis man to the safety, or when the QB scrambled and baught extra time. 2.5 is about 3 times less than most corners get tested per game(2 times less than Pat). So yes Pete Sam's tackles and ints were down last season mainly because he did his job and didn't let the QB throw to his man. One more thing Pete if Sam was far less of a corner than Pat, then how come in his 2 game absence Harrison and Moulds both gained nearly 200 yards? And why were they almost invisable in the 2 games that Sam played against them? I would also like to draw attention to the play where Sam got injured. He outplayed Harrison for the deep pass and picked it off(top 3 ints of all corners last year). Then Sam leaves the game and Harrison blows up. If anyone is bored please email this to mr prisco.

I disagree with you.Surtain played the slot on nickel coverage more than half the time.The slot is much more difficult than covering Z and Y receiver.Surtain is not alot better than Madison but he is getting better than Madison believe or not.Mad Dog also made the same comment about Surtain perhaps getting better than Madison.

On any given day, Surtain can be better than SamMad, but I think Sam is just so damn consistant you have to give him the nod.

He might line up in the slot(I don't remember seeing him there as much last year because Cousin was there....he might have been there but I just don't remember the slot being taken by Surtain.....i remember they wanted to put him there) but most of the time the teams best WR is on the outside getting blanketed by Madison. Not all the time, but most of the time.

Originally posted by Billsfan
First off, You guys hate this guy because he hates the Dolphins. Fine, I can understand that. Second Winfield’s numbers are almost exactly the same as Surtain’s and Madison’s…..And the fact that he has all of those tackles has nothing to do with how good of a corner he was. The Bills were bad last year. We lost our MLB in the first game of the season. We were often behind late in the games and teams ran the ball to run out the clock. Hence more tackles for Winfield. Which I think is a good thing, I love having a CB that’s not afraid to make tackles.

If somebody wrote an article saying Thurman Thomas is overrated and shouldn't be in the HOF, you would hate him for being bias.

Winfield is a good CB, but Madison and Surtain are both superior CBs. Clements will soon be a better CB than Winfield.

FREAKIN' MORON!!!

The only thing I am gonna say is ........................

"3rd and 6 from the BILLS 42 yard line!!!Feidler hands the ball to Williams, Williams scoots right, he has a seam, YEAH!!!! Knocked out of bounds at the 14 yard line!! FIRST DOWN MIAMI!!!!!!

I GOT YOUR BIG PLAY ABILITY RIGHT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!:monkey:

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
On any given day, Surtain can be better than SamMad, but I think Sam is just so damn consistant you have to give him the nod.

He might line up in the slot(I don't remember seeing him there as much last year because Cousin was there....he might have been there but I just don't remember the slot being taken by Surtain.....i remember they wanted to put him there) but most of the time the teams best WR is on the outside getting blanketed by Madison. Not all the time, but most of the time.

Good post bud! PAt did not play the slot very much at all last season. Pat is by far a better tackaler than Sam, not saying Sam isn't a good one but Pat is a great tackaler for a CB. That being said that is the only part of his game that is better than Sam's. Sam has the ability to flat out shutdown a WR. Only 2-3 other corners in the league have this ability. I mean look at the past couple of seasons against big time WRs. The only games that Moulds and Harrison played to their rep were the two Sam missed. Besides those those 2 along with Owens, Moss, Tim Brown, Rice were nearly invisable when covered by Sam. Rewatch game 95% of the time the opposing QB drops back he at most glances at Sam's side. The only time they ever throw at him is if they are losing in the 2nd half and it is getting near desperation time. Pat doesn't have this ability, he is a good cover corner, but not nearly as great as Sam. He makes up for it by making plays on the ball, and superp tackleing skills. If i had to choose i would take Sam. I have only seen him get torched for a whole game once, and very conveinently it was against his self proclaimed good freind L. Coles.

Again, I gotta stick up for Sam and agree with DJ and Bod. Sam is just a superior cover man. Pat is awesome too. But Sam just has those ball skills that you can't teach. If he only had hands. :) Just like in the Pro Bowl balloting, conventional thinking is a year behind. Pat was better than Sam in 2000, but not 2001. You don't see Sam holding Marvin Harrison for an entire game. You see him running with Harrison, baiting Manning into the deep bullet, and then making the phenomenal recovery and INT. And no, Pat rarely played the slot. I don't mean to be doggin' Pat. I'm just praising Sam.

I don' t know what it is about Laveranues Coles, but he just seems to have the cryptonite. That will change Sept. 22.

The only other time I saw Sam get whooped was by Keyshawn Johnson in 1999. And he really wasn't killing Sam. He was just diving and making awesome catches. But he did have his way.

Originally posted by booyeah_

If somebody wrote an article saying Thurman Thomas is overrated and shouldn't be in the HOF, you would hate him for being bias.

I may have misunderstood your point. So If I did I'll say I'm sorry ahead of time. BUT

If you're comparing Ricky Williams to Thurman Thomas, You're on Crack.

If you guys are comparing Ricky & Thurman - there's no contest! I'm not just saying this because I'm a Bills fan either. Look @ these categories:

-games played / missed - advantage Thurman
-made the playoffs - adv. Thurman
-went to the Super Bowl - adv. Thurman
-division titles - adv. Thurman
-pro bowls - adv Thurman

Up to this point, I'd say Thurman in a landslide, but who knows! Rickey is on a new team w/ a different system. By the end of his career, he could prove to be better, but up to this point, Williams hasn't really done much in the league - mostly because of injuries. I'm sorry - I think Thurman's there & the jury's still out on Ricky

Leave it to Bills fans to not get a point. You guys have a habit of not knowing what anyone is talking about.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
Leave it to Bills fans to not get a point. You guys have a habit of not knowing what anyone is talking about.

F OFF Don't be such a ====D~~~

I SAID "I may have misunderstood the comment and sorry if I did"

Don't group me together with others. I come to this board to talk football and I think my points are good.

Than make a point Van.... instead of sitting back & being a cheerleader. If not, then I'll send you some pom poms & some KY jelly!

Originally posted by Billsfan

I may have misunderstood your point. So If I did I'll say I'm sorry ahead of time. BUT

If you're comparing Ricky Williams to Thurman Thomas, You're on Crack.

What I was saying was if somebody at cbs sports was putting down a popular Bill(Thurman Thomas), then you would hate him for being biased. Just like we hate Pete Prisco. Williams isn't near Thomas' production, yet.

Well, it's hard for any RB to have big plays when no one is blocking for him.
RW gets to be "overrated" since Ditka decided to trade 7 players for him, a fact that pops up on 99.9% of RW articles, and everyone expected him to live up to that trade.

And speaking of tackling CB's.... Bills fans: having your CB be the leading tackler in your team it's a bad thing.

I don't think anyone would argue that Surtain and Madison are a great CB tandem, maybe the best in the NFL. They are better at this point than the Bills tandem of Winfield and Clements. But Winfield and Clements are good and getting better. I haven't studied all the stats, but I know the Bills had trouble stopping the run last season. There were too many times that tackles on running plays were made well past the line of scrimmage. I suspect that Winfield made a pretty good number of those tackles since he, like Clements is strong in run support.

Back
Top Bottom