Overrated, Underrated....your Opinion? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Overrated, Underrated....your Opinion?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
The draft process is always an interesting one. Before kicking off the college season you can look at projected top 20's and see how much that differs now.

In your opinion, who are some of the overrated and underrated prospects in the 2019 draft? Here are three for me in each category.

Overrated:
Daniel Jones, QB
--- Admittedly, I don't have the scouts view with the availability to talk to Jones. I don't know how smart he is and how fast he processes information. What I see looks more like a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Can he overcome a lack of arm talent? The speed of the game keeps getting faster at all levels and windows for qb's are tighter than ever. I don't see a 1st rounder, which is where he is projected.

T.J. Hockenson, TE -- It's not that I don't like Hockenson its just that I'm not sure about top 10 talent. I can buy first round and I understand scouts love his blocking, which is something highlights don't always feature.

Rashan Gary, DE -- His talent jumps off the screen, but he still hasn't been a major producer. Is it coaching, the shoulder injury, or something else? Can the right coach bring it out of him? Harbaugh didn't and he's a great coach.

Underrated:
Chase Winovich, Pass Rusher
--- I always love those all-effort players, but the production is there as well. Yet, there's hardly any draft buzz.

Greg Little, OT --- He's one of those who initially was projected as a top-10 type player. In a sense, he's gone from overrated to underrated. Little would be a nice trade down option for Miami in R1. I think he's more in the late first round discussion now. He could be great for the Dolphins at RT.

Julian Love, CB --- I've seen him mocked a lot in the third round, but I think his talent is more early second. He's one of the more physical corners in the draft and would look nice next to X. Howard in Miami.

I'm starting to think that Dexter Lawrence is underrated, especially for a 3/4 or 3/4 - 4/3 hybrid defense. Dude is a beast with wheels and he produced at a high level.
Good call. He's now mocked end of 1st, early 2nd which screams steal to me.

The draft process is always an interesting one. Before kicking off the college season you can look at projected top 20's and see how much that differs now.

In your opinion, who are some of the overrated and underrated prospects in the 2019 draft? Here are three for me in each category.

Overrated:
Daniel Jones, QB
--- Admittedly, I don't have the scouts view with the availability to talk to Jones. I don't know how smart he is and how fast he processes information. What I see looks more like a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Can he overcome a lack of arm talent? The speed of the game keeps getting faster at all levels and windows for qb's are tighter than ever. I don't see a 1st rounder, which is where he is projected.

T.J. Hockenson, TE -- It's not that I don't like Hockenson its just that I'm not sure about top 10 talent. I can buy first round and I understand scouts love his blocking, which is something highlights don't always feature.

Rashan Gary, DE -- His talent jumps off the screen, but he still hasn't been a major producer. Is it coaching, the shoulder injury, or something else? Can the right coach bring it out of him? Harbaugh didn't and he's a great coach.

Underrated:
Chase Winovich, Pass Rusher
--- I always love those all-effort players, but the production is there as well. Yet, there's hardly any draft buzz.

Greg Little, OT --- He's one of those who initially was projected as a top-10 type player. In a sense, he's gone from overrated to underrated. Little would be a nice trade down option for Miami in R1. I think he's more in the late first round discussion now. He could be great for the Dolphins at RT.

Julian Love, CB --- I've seen him mocked a lot in the third round, but I think his talent is more early second. He's one of the more physical corners in the draft and would look nice next to X. Howard in Miami.

I view Love as somewhere between Casey Hayward and Desmond King - two really good DB's. For some teams, he's probably in that 20-40 range. He's going to tackle, play sound in coverage, and make plays on the ball. Good call.

I think Daniel Jones, Brian Burns, and Chris Lindstrom are all players with high grades that I feel are pretty well overrated.

Blake Cashman is criminally underrated at linebacker.

Kaden Elliss
is criminally underrated as a pass rusher because he didn't get to play there enough. His hip snap, strength, and flexibility are exceptional and he always should have been featured as a pass rusher.

Kahale Warring
is an extremely underrated tight end prospect that belongs in the conversation with T.J. Hockenson for best Y prospect.

Defensive tackle Greg Gaines is highly underrated and could be another Kyle D. Williams, IMO.

Neither offensive linemen Josh Miles of Morgan State nor Nick Allegretti of Illinois have been given their proper due, yet.

Corner Isaiah Johnson has not been given close to his due yet, either.

Pass rushers Porter Gustin and Jordan Brailford remain highly underrated.

You don't hear nearly enough about Slippery Rock running back Wes Hills, even after he showed out at the Senior Bowl.

Safeties Ugo Amadi and Malik Gant play much higher quality football than their current ratings suggest and I fear they're kept low due to a little bit of over-emphasis on measurements data.

I see some rags giving the proper love to defensive linemen Byron Cowart of Maryland, which is encouraging, but then I see others that are like, "Byron who?"

I'm not entirely sure why defensive tackle Khalen Saunders is not widely considered a lock to go on Day 2 as he reminds me of Javon Hargrave.

Not unlike Cowart, it's very hit-or-miss which rags are giving Hawaii linebacker Jahlani Tavai a proper amount of love, as he could/should go Day 2.

At quarterback obviously I still feel Easton Stick to be underrated but let me also say that Drew Anderson is absolutely criminally underrated at this stage. He's a huge, strong, pocket passer that shows great mastery over every kind of throw, and then he goes out and runs 4.79 with a 36.5" vertical and 6.89 cone drill. When Drew came in for Tyree Jackson in 2017, Anderson had the 3rd best Overall grade that Pro Football Focus tallied on any quarterback over the last two seasons combined. And yet Tyree Jackson goes out for the same Buffalo team and stinks it up a bit in 2018, and everyone sort of excuses him as raw and playing for a bad team. Didn't affect Anderson. He had to go to the worst team in the Ohio Valley Conference of the FCS in order to be made to look mediocre.

I think I'll finish up by saying Houston linebacker Emeke Egbule continues to be underrated even though at least now you'll actually find him in the draftable sections of peoples' rankings.

Last edited:
Good to hear your input, CK. Interesting stuff on Anderson. I do figure Miami will take a mid to late round quarterback. I would like to see Stick as I think he has a lot of tools to work with.

Saunders, I believe, was the one who was doing back flips at more than 300 pounds during the Senior Bowl week. Did he get hurt?

I like the Khalen Saunders choice for most underrated

I also like tbe Philip Gaines one. And maybe the Texas a & m dt I think his name is tank. Short squatty legs and strides but he’s a load.

All 3 I liked what I saw at the senior bowl. Be surprised if they all aren’t at least in specific role rotations in 2019

Last edited:
I'd have to say Jones is overrated. For a guy that doesn't even have a great arm you'd expect for him to be more accurate but for his career he was at 59.7% completion and they're talking going 6th to the giants? I just don't get that one.

I think McCoy might be a little underrated.

I like the Khalen Saunders choice for most underrated

I also like tbe Philip Gaines one. And maybe the Texas a & m dt I think his name is tank. Short squatty legs and strides but he’s a load.

All 3 I liked what I saw at the senior bowl. Be surprised if they all aren’t at least in specific role rotations in 2019

Gaines (if you are talking about the washing DT is a really nice player, although he may be a one trick pony with the bull rush, it is really ****ing good trick.

I'll through one out there for underrated...which is actually deserved because of the school he played at and his size but Jimmy MF'n Moreland from James Madison...18 ints 6 returned for tds. 5'9" 175 4.41 40, 39 inch vert, 6.9 3 cone and 120 inch broad.

Yeah, he's a day 3 kid I'm interested in...I believe Deebo Samual said he was the best CB he faced at the senior bowl.

I'll also say that even though he's commonly rated in Round 2, the Virginia safety Juan Thornhill continues to be underrated. He should be a solid 1st round prospect. That he's not rated that way means he's very underrated. Fantastic player. Exactly what you're looking for to be a true standout at the position.

And for that matter let's toss in a defensive end Chase Winovich of Michigan. Yes he's being rated a solid Day 2 player and I appreciate that, but on film he's more. He's strong in every phase, instinctive, smart, very fast and agile, powerful with his hands, and just knows how to play the position and be an impact player on defense. Considering how overrated Brian Burns is, and considering some teams are privately taking issue with Montez Sweat's heard readouts, you would think that a guy like Winovich would get a little more 1st round love than he is.

Last edited:
I'm just gonna focus on the D-line because that's where the depth is and we could use it. Take advantage of what the draft is giving you, Miami.

Under:

DE:

Omenihu (he was at least ... he had by far the best production of the bigger DEs coming out ... does he last to the 2nd? 3rd?)

Banogu (also catching up)

Ferguson (he's slipped a bit ... big value potential in the 4th-5th rd if he falls)

Ferrell (if he falls to the 2nd = value)

Nelson (my favorite DE that fits and might slip to the 3rd-4th ... really want him)

Polite (depending on the free fall)

Joe Jackson (another 5th-6th value pick)

DT:

Jones (would play that Flowers role here so DE might make more sense. 3rd-4th value pick)

Hill (UCF gets so little love)

Lawrence (if he makes it to the 2nd ... yes please)

Everyone on Slimm's senior DT list 3-11 (I'm sliding Tuttle into Slayton's spot ... all these guys bring something different and will all play in the NFL imo. DT class is crazy deep)

Overrated:

DE:

Allen (depending on where he goes ... I've seen him mocked anywhere from the 1st to the 6th. He doesn't offer enough for a high pick ... 5th rd sounds about right)

Winovich (should be more production since Gary was supposedly set up to be the fall guy to take on blocks ... I wouldn't be looking until rd 4)

Gary (I question everything regarding this kid. Wasn't he the #1 prospect on some sites coming out of HS? And Harbaugh decided to use that to take on blocks? I don't get it. Don't want him at 13)

Miller (scares me for a bunch of reasons ... 4th-5th again for me)

DT:

Simmons (coming off that injury with his past? In the 1st? Pfffffft)

Tillery in the 1st ... anything after that and I'm down.

There are some pretty underrated safeties and corners as well but I don't think we'll be getting into those markets until the later rounds ... if at all. The Dolphins could literally drafting nothing but DL and OL and that would not be a bad decision given this draft and their needs.

Last edited:
Gaines (if you are talking about the washing DT is a really nice player, although he may be a one trick pony with the bull rush, it is really ****ing good trick.

I'll through one out there for underrated...which is actually deserved because of the school he played at and his size but Jimmy MF'n Moreland from James Madison...18 ints 6 returned for tds. 5'9" 175 4.41 40, 39 inch vert, 6.9 3 cone and 120 inch broad.

Yeah, he's a day 3 kid I'm interested in...I believe Deebo Samual said he was the best CB he faced at the senior bowl.

Both Gaines and the Texas a & m kid are kind of one trick pony’s. That’s why I say specific roles in a rotation.

Saunders I think might have more meat on the bone.

I'm just gonna focus on the D-line because that's where the depth is and we could use it. Take advantage of what the draft is giving you, Miami.

Under:

DE:

Omenihu (he was at least ... he had by far the best production of the bigger DEs coming out ... does he last to the 2nd? 3rd?)

Banogu (also catching up)

Ferguson (he's slipped a bit ... big value potential in the 4th-5th rd if he falls)

Ferrell (if he falls to the 2nd = value)

Nelson (my favorite DE that fits and might slip to the 3rd-4th ... really want him)

Polite (depending on the free fall)

Joe Jackson (another 5th-6th value pick)

DT:

Jones (would play that Flowers role here so DE might make more sense. 3rd-4th value pick)

Hill (UCF gets so little love)

Lawrence (if he makes it to the 2nd ... yes please)

Everyone on Slimm's senior DT list 3-11 (I'm sliding Tuttle into Slayton's spot) ... all these guys bring something different and will all play in the NFL imo. DT class is crazy deep)

Overrated:

DE:

Allen (depending on where he goes ... I've seen him mocked anywhere from the 1st to the 6th. He doesn't offer enough for a high pick ... 5th rd sounds about right)

Winovich (should be more production since Gary was supposedly set up to be the fall guy to take on blocks ... I wouldn't be looking until rd 4)

Gary (I question everything regarding this kid. Wasn't he the #1 prospect on some sites coming out of HS? And Harbaugh decided to use that to take on blocks? I don't get it. Don't want him at 13)

Miller (scares me for a bunch of reasons ... 4th-5th again for me)

DT:

Simmons (coming off that injury with his past? In the 1st? Pfffffft)

Tillery in the 1st ... anything after that and I'm down.

There are some pretty underrated safeties and corners as well but I don't think we'll be getting into those markets until the later rounds ... if at all. The Dolphins could literally drafting nothing but DL and OL and that would not be a bad decision given this draft and their needs.
I agree on both Tillery and Simmons.

Ferguson’s heavy handed he’s just not very athletic and doesn’t have very much range. So you are gonna almost have to run into him.

Still of the edge options in tbe senior bowl game he was tbe 4tb most interesting one I saw. Have to be day 3 for me

He was awful in one on ones but so was ziggy ansah years ago who looked like he had absolutely no plan senior bowl week in 1 on 1 reps. Not that I think they are similar players.

Tillery crushed it at the combine. For 285 he looked fluid and athletic etc at least in field drills. But isn’t he almost 24? If not already? I don’t like the overaged stuff especially early.

At the combine I think the frame and profile screamed 5 tech. I don’t know if the tape does. But that’s not necessarily what I’m looking for 5 tech ideal if that’s what’s his best fit

Back
Top Bottom