Overtime Rule | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Overtime Rule

So it worked against my team this time, but I like the OT rule. Football is an incredibly physical game, and making two teams go an extra 15 or 30 minutes of game time cripples them for the next few weeks, regardless of whether they win or lose the OT game. With that in mind, I want a rule that ends OT games quickly. It is also great that this rule rewords being aggressive offensively, so its is fun to watch. The sudden-death element really ratchets up the excitement. So it ticks all the boxes for me.

Is it fair? No, winning the coin toss is a HUGE advantage … just the way it is. But if after 60 minutes it is still tied, either team deserves it, and random choice seems like an acceptable advantage. I like the system the NFL has for OT. It's not perfect, but it is very fan-friendly. If you want to avoid chance … find a way to win in regulation.

I feel bad for the Saints though. When instant-replay catches an obvious non-call that steals a game from the home team, and literally everyone in the stadium has visual confirmation of it … it feels pretty wrong that the refs--who made the initial mistake--can't fix it by instant replay and calling the foul they missed. At a minimum the Saints should be able to challenge that. So when looking at rule changes, I'm more interested in them tweaking that rule than the OT rule.

I wish nfl would adapt to CFL rules where a team has the chance to respond with a score they have to meet to beat what the other team did. You also have to go for two point converts. Makes it more exciting inmo

So it worked against my team this time, but I like the OT rule. Football is an incredibly physical game, and making two teams go an extra 15 or 30 minutes of game time cripples them for the next few weeks, regardless of whether they win or lose the OT game. With that in mind, I want a rule that ends OT games quickly. It is also great that this rule rewords being aggressive offensively, so its is fun to watch. The sudden-death element really ratchets up the excitement. So it ticks all the boxes for me.

Is it fair? No, winning the coin toss is a HUGE advantage … just the way it is. But if after 60 minutes it is still tied, either team deserves it, and random choice seems like an acceptable advantage. I like the system the NFL has for OT. It's not perfect, but it is very fan-friendly. If you want to avoid chance … find a way to win in regulation.

I feel bad for the Saints though. When instant-replay catches an obvious non-call that steals a game from the home team, and literally everyone in the stadium has visual confirmation of it … it feels pretty wrong that the refs--who made the initial mistake--can't fix it by instant replay and calling the foul they missed. At a minimum the Saints should be able to challenge that. So when looking at rule changes, I'm more interested in them tweaking that rule than the OT rule.
I get what you are saying about this, but if you've worked hard the entire season and you're team gives up one play then boom season over. They need to make it if the first team gets a touchdown then the other team gets a shot, because we all know Pat Mahomes would have led his team down the field.

I do not think the NFL should adopt the colllege rules. Red zone offense and defense only takes away some of the bigger weapons teams have

Ted Ginn is useless for the saints those scenarios. I like having the whole field.

That said, I’d prefer it the other team gets a chance to answer a score. I’m a fan of 2 point conversions only as well

I get what you are saying about this, but if you've worked hard the entire season and you're team gives up one play then boom season over. They need to make it if the first team gets a touchdown then the other team gets a shot, because we all know Pat Mahomes would have led his team down the field.
Hey, I'm supporting your thread. But I disagree.

Oh, didn't realize this was posted on this forum, too. Well, I'll say the same thing I said in the General forum:

The NFL needs to stop pretending that a coin flip sudden death overtime makes any sense in 2019. The new rule book puts the defense at a huge disadvantage, so the age old argument "if you want to win, stop the other team" holds no water whatsoever anymore.

Switch to the NCAA system and be done with it.

It's better than it used to be, but the other team needs a chance to respond if the opening drive is a TD instead of a FG.
And yes, two point conversions should be the rule.

Honestly the OT rule is dumb.

There is no way you can have in place an OT that has a scenario where a team may not possess the ball. The only way that can happen is if a defense has a touchdown, therefore ending the game.

If you want to do the sudden death route, each team has to at least possess the ball first and then after those possessions, you go to sudden death.

Prior to sudden death, decisions can be made to go for 2 if you think your defense cant hold a team, or whatever.

If you have this rule in place, once NE scores they have a decision to kick the PAT or go for 2 . . . knowing KC gets the ball and can make decisions depending on the results of their own initial decision . . . .but still a decision needs to be made on the coin toss because taking the ball first allows you first chance at getting the ball second but if you kick the PAT a team like KC, knowing their defense is crap, can go for 2 and end it . . .so you never get that second possession and kc can win with a td and extra point.

Or eliminate the xtra point all together (in OT) and just force teams to go for 2.

I definitely don’t like the college OT route for the NFL but I like it better than the current NFL setup.

College rule. Each team gets a chance/chances. What we have now is better than before. But its still unfair in regards to giving each defense and offense a chance at winning the ball game. The NFL should make a change even if its not exactly like college.
Its paramount IMHO that each team should have at least one offensive possession. I don't care if it takes 10 hours!

Back
Top Bottom