Overtime Rule | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Overtime Rule

I think the current NFL OT rules are fine...for the regular season. Preseason there should be no OT, game should end in a tie. For the playoffs, they need to just play the entire 10 minutes qtr with the team with the most points after that wins. If it’s still tied then obviously they keep playing until someone scores.

I guarantee you if New England lost in ot without Brady touching the ball the league would be looking to change the rules.

For the regular season, one 10 minute period where each team gets the opportunity to match what the other did, and if there’s still a tie when the clock runs out, each team gets alternating plays from the 2 yard line until one doesn’t score, like hockey shootouts. In the post season, no clock is kept and they keep playing until one team can’t match scores.

Brady is 3-0 in OT playoff games, in each of those wins, the opposing team never had a possession.

It's fine, and in a few months, people will stop whining about it.

The Saints got shafted though. That's a tough pill to swallow.

College rules, but start at the 35 or 40 (a borderline FG distance for NFL kickers). Or the full 15 minutes. I really think both teams should get the ball.
I’d say start em at the 50 but definitely each team should have A chance to posses the ball the current set up is just trash

I don't like it. You basically give the Patriots a huge advantage with them winning the coin toss. The Chiefs never got a chance to comeback. How is that fair?

Its pro sports its college( amateur ). Chiefs had 3 oppurtunity to stop or force a fg. Also say the ot rules gave the chiefs an oppurtunity and they score a td. Pats now only need a fg and still get an extra posession.

To me, the NFL OT rule is akin to allowing an NHL team to begin OT on a power play decided by a coin flip. Or in baseball starting extra innings with a runner at 2nd base with no outs and first team to score wins the game. In those scenarios it's highly likely other team may not get an equal chance. There's too much advantage there.

I'd like to see both teams guaranteed a possession and it also be mandatory to go for 2 in the event of a TD.

Worth noting that college teams who win the OT coin toss have a slighty higher win % than pro teams who do.

Of course. That makes sense from the standpoint that the team winning the coin flip always elects to go on defense first so they know what they have to so once they gain possession. IMO, that's no different than a team knowing whether they need to score a TD or only a FG near the end of regulation. It's always advantageous to know what you need to do and have 4 downs in which to do it.
But at least both teams have an opportunity to try to score as well as to try to stop their opponent. It's more fair.

But either way I disagree that a coin flip should be used to decide who gets the choice. It's too arbitrary. IDK that it would be right for the home or road team to get the choice by default either, but I still think one of those options would be better and certainly more consistent. Hell, they already allow the visiting team to call the coin flip so what's the difference?

Perhaps the choice to kick or receive should be earned in some way? Say the team that gained more yards or 1st downs during regulation. Some kind of tiebreaker system that is decided on the field aside from the score -- which is obviously tied.

That'd be less arbitrary than a damn coin toss.

Luck is a huge part of any competitive sport. Who you play on schedule and how they are playing at that time. Also factoring in injuries. All kinds of other factors too.

In racing we draw poker chips with numbers. It determines where you start and the racers you may need to pass to get up front. Drawing the right Chip certainly give you a better chance at a win or top finish.

The coin flip is about as fair as you can get. Even so I’d Like to see both teams get a chance on offense in overtime situation.

Luck is a huge part of any competitive sport. Who you play on schedule and how they are playing at that time. Also factoring in injuries. All kinds of other factors too.

In racing we draw poker chips with numbers. It determines where you start and the racers you may need to pass to get up front. Drawing the right Chip certainly give you a better chance at a win or top finish.

The coin flip is about as fair as you can get. Even so I’d Like to see both teams get a chance on offense in overtime situation.

While there is truth in what you say, a coin flip isn't used to break ties in division or determine wildcard teams or home field advantage. Instead, season performance tiebreakers are used -- as they should be.

In the example you used, the event hasn't begun thus relevant past performance can't be used. But when it can, it should be used. That's all I'm saying.

When a game has been played to a draw after 4 quarters, there's 60-minutes worth of relevant past performance that can be used to determine a tiebreaker or -- in the case of OT -- which team is more deserving of choosing to kick or receive.

If they don't toss out season performance in determining playoff participants and home field, then they shouldn't toss out game performance in determining which team chooses to kick or receive. Seems more consistent and reliable to me than reverting back to chance.

Back
Top Bottom