Parcells takes a shot at griese | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Parcells takes a shot at griese

Say what you want... Parcells has been successful EVERYWHERE he has gone... He will make Dallas an NFC championship contender within 2 years and a SB contender within 3 (If he stays that long)... He always squeezes the best out of his team...

If you watched his game analysis on Sundays he would do with Sterling Sharpe and Steve Young and whoever else sits in... Yoou may have noticed that they would all be loud and yelling, trying to talk over each other to make their points. But not Big Tuna, he sat quietly until it was his turn to make his point... When it was his turn he spoke softly, succinctly, and explained his points with reason and sound logic and everyone else would shut the up and listen... thats respect...

I like Wanny, but I would take Parcells in a heartbeat... The ONLY coach I would rather have than Big Tuna would be Gruden... Although Im not 100% sure of that.

Good point 13. I was going to make a similar comment. I love the manzere joke though - he needs that. The fact is, those who criticize Parcells would love what he could do with this team we have assembled now. He won't be that great in Big D right now, but he's still a great coach.

On Wanny ... I'm still in his corner and think that he and Norv have the makings of a good thing. I would like him to be a bit more eloquent with the team and keep them more emotionally pumped late in the season (Parcells, Gruden, JJ are guys who were great at that). But, I think he can still get it done.

Yeah, I do think Parcells is a good coach, he just makes some strange choices for QBs. But you're right, he has been successful everywhere he has gone, so he obviously knows what he's doing.....
About JJ, though, if he is good at keeping guys pumped up late in the season, how come we still flopped at the end of every season when he was the coach?

By the way, when Reporter goes to a Coach and asks why he doesn't wan't a particular player as a starter and he responds with the below quote:

"get me somebody that can win . I dont mean that disrespectfully, but I dont want to be 8-8. I had that guy neil odonnell (with the jets). thats what griese is."...Bill Parcells

To me that hardly qualifies as a shot... He reponded truthfully to a direct question...
Taking a shot would be something like....
"Well we don't want Mr. Griese because he's a drunk interception machine who's haunted by the football ghost of John Elway... By the way, did ya hear why did Brian Griese crossed the road...? To avoid tripping over his dog..."
Now that would be taking a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
nobody cares what the tuna has to say around here. I've never liked him anyway. He thinks he's above everyone just like Bobby Knight.

Ozzy rules!!

Griese is better than Hutchinson or Carter will ever be. I am looking forward to the Thanksgiving game.

Parcells is a great coach, but that quote is uncalled for. His team has three straight 5-11 seasons with the QBs he already has.

Good Luck Parcells trying to get to 8-8 with the QBs you already have.

Originally posted by DolphinzD
Yeah, Parcells is a scary judge of talent for QB's. 1) He hated Drew Bledsoe, and wanted to bench him, only there was no one else in New England that possibly could have played. 2) He got rid of Neil O'Donnell in favor Glen Foley. Glen Foley!!!!! 3) He started Foley over Vinny Testaverde well into the 1998 season before finally coming to his senses. Dang though, if he had started Foley a few more games we would have won the division! 4) He thought Ray Lucas would be a good QB. I still am trying to figure out how Lucas did so well in those games as a Jet. Oh yeah, he had Curtis Martin as a RB and was throwing to Keyshawn Johnson and Wayne Chrebet. 5) And now this.....

Response from a die-hard Parcells supporter...
1. The bottom line is did he play him, and did they go to a Super Bowl?.
2. You obviously did not watch football in 1996-1997 timeframe. I'll refresh your memory. In 1996, the New York Jets went 1-15 with Neil O'Donnell as the QB. In 1997 (with Parcells as HC), Glenn Foley gets the starting nod, and they go 9-7, one game short of the playoffs.
3. Refer to #2, Foley was a winner the year before. They were 1-3 the next year when Vinny got his chance and ran with it, but why would you bench a QB who led an 8-game turnaround without giving him a chance to fail.
4. Lucas was a winner with the Jets because of surrounding talent, like you say, and also superior coaching. Ricky Williams led the NFL in rushing, yet Lucas was still pitiful with your great coaching staff. Also Rick Mirer led the Jets to a 1-6 record that season, before Lucas came in and went 7-2.
5. The facts... Griese is not a winner thus far.

I don't like Parcells but I have to agree that he's a great coach.

I think DW with his "that's ok, you'll do better" attitude is a little soft with his player. Nobody calls Bill Parcells "Billy" like we do with "Wanny". You need a coach that will be firm with the players, but still be a player's coach.

Originally posted by 13isgr81
Say what you want... Parcells has been successful EVERYWHERE he has gone... He will make Dallas an NFC championship contender within 2 years and a SB contender within 3 (If he stays that long)... He always squeezes the best out of his team...

If you watched his game analysis on Sundays he would do with Sterling Sharpe and Steve Young and whoever else sits in... Yoou may have noticed that they would all be loud and yelling, trying to talk over each other to make their points. But not Big Tuna, he sat quietly until it was his turn to make his point... When it was his turn he spoke softly, succinctly, and explained his points with reason and sound logic and everyone else would shut the up and listen... thats respect...

I like Wanny, but I would take Parcells in a heartbeat... The ONLY coach I would rather have than Big Tuna would be Gruden... Although Im not 100% sure of that.

I think Parcells better days are over. if you look at his graph, he wonthe SB in 87, 39-20 over Denver, pretty convincingly. This was all before FA and the cap so one would think that he could repeat in the SB. but he didn't get back til 91, 4 years later and barely beating the Bills 20-19 on a last sec FG. Whew, almost blew it. Still before FA and cap, basically with the same team almost,etc. He then goes to NE and gets them to the SB but getting spanked by GB by 2 TDs. He gets pizzed at Kraft and goes to the Jets taking the infamous Curtis Martin with him. but now the cap and FA is with him and can't get the Jets to the SB. The job he has in Dallas is insurmountable, considering what talent, or lack of. And that's not even mentioning the ultra ego he has to deal with in Jerry Jones. Gonna be another JJ/JJ debacle again in Dallas, except this time, they won't get anywhere near a SB. :rolleyes:

He also had last place schedule for a miraculous Jets turnaround. Now he has about the same schedule as the rest of his division.

Yeah, he referred to Terry Glenn as "she" when he was with NE, but that was one of the first acquisitions he made for Dallas.

I don't think his comments about Griese are a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom