Path To The Draft: Ideal Top Two Picks For Each Team | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Path To The Draft: Ideal Top Two Picks For Each Team

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Here's what they have for Miami:

1. Jonah Williams, G/OT, Alabama
2. Jaylon Ferguson, Edge, Louisiana Tech

Wouldn't mind that start to the draft.

Not bad. William's give you a starting LG for the next decade. Whereas Ferguson, could be used as a SOLB and as a, Pass Rush DE on passing downs?

Not good. The pick in first round should be the QB.

Second, if they are not picking the QB, which would be a disaster, then it must be an ELITE player. Not good. Elite.
They have to be able to answer on facts, what is that player elite in, in this case Williams and Ferguson. What are they ELITE in? They will be hard pressed to find an answer to that for those two players.

Not good. The pick in first round should be the QB.

Second, if they are not picking the QB, which would be a disaster, then it must be an ELITE player. Not good. Elite.
They have to be able to answer on facts, what is that player elite in, in this case Williams and Ferguson. What are they ELITE in? They will be hard pressed to find an answer to that for those two players.
Not sure an elite player will be there at #13. Quarterback remains a big possibility.

Not sure an elite player will be there at #13. Quarterback remains a big possibility.

I'll give you one player. Darnell Savage. He has elite athleticism, and that elite athleticism jumps out in games. He has elite insticts, elite pursuit of players and passes. On facts.

Ran 4.36 40, elite speed; jumped 39.5 and 126, elite explosiveness; ran 7.03 3 Cone, 4.14 shuttle, that's elite quickness.

And on film it shows:

Instincts, jumps the pass, elite play: https://giphy.com/gifs/2wW0soNxE8RaFqkFdG
Sideline to sideline, breaks up the pass, elite play: https://giphy.com/gifs/2yrXpFD6TCnDAlri3V
From opposite field pursues runners, elite play: https://giphy.com/gifs/kigURuwp0xQG6VQXrc

Not bad. William's give you a starting LG for the next decade. Whereas Ferguson, could be used as a SOLB and as a, Pass Rush DE on passing downs?
Not what I'm hoping for tho I can see them going O-line at 13 since it's been a problem for so long but who knows what they're going to do. Other than 2 or 3 positions they could go in any direction.

I'll give you one player. Darnell Savage. He has elite athleticism, and that elite athleticism jumps out in games. He has elite insticts, elite pursuit of players and passes. On facts.

Ran 4.36 40, elite speed; jumped 39.5 and 126, elite explosiveness; ran 7.03 3 Cone, 4.14 shuttle, that's elite quickness.

And on film it shows:

Instincts, jumps the pass, elite play: https://giphy.com/gifs/2wW0soNxE8RaFqkFdG
Sideline to sideline, breaks up the pass, elite play: https://giphy.com/gifs/2yrXpFD6TCnDAlri3V
From opposite field pursues runners, elite play: https://giphy.com/gifs/kigURuwp0xQG6VQXrc
Do you know what round he is projected to go in? I haven't seen him mocked in the first, not that that means everything.

Not what I'm hoping for tho I can see them going O-line at 13 since it's been a problem for so long but who knows what they're going to do. Other than 2 or 3 positions they could go in any direction.
I don't think they'll go QB @#13. I'm beginning to think it's going to be some kind of unsexy pick? Or an unexpected selection from a position we fans aren't hoping for? But again, if they are in full Patriots mode, you might see them pull off a trade down? Miami IMHO, holds they cards because several teams are looking to get ahead of Washington.

I don't think they'll go QB @#13. I'm beginning to think it's going to be some kind of unsexy pick? Or an unexpected selection from a position we fans aren't hoping for? But again, if they are in full Patriots mode, you might see them pull off a trade down? Miami IMHO, holds they cards because several teams are looking to get ahead of Washington.
I think Miami likely wants to trade down. Maybe that is why they are meeting with Daniel Jones so late in the process with the idea that a team might trade up for him.

I'm not sure what the Dolphins would do if Haskins or Lock are available at #13. I would think they would take Haskins, not sure on Lock.

I think Miami likely wants to trade down. Maybe that is why they are meeting with Daniel Jones so late in the process with the idea that a team might trade up for him.

I'm not sure what the Dolphins would do if Haskins or Lock are available at #13. I would think they would take Haskins, not sure on Lock.
One thing is for sure, this draft process so far has had a different feel to it, than in years past. Perhaps because of the renewed hope, Ross finally got the F/O thing figured out? As for Haskins and Lock, I think both will be gone, in spite of all the talk of the Giants passing on a QB @#6. Leaving Jones as the one remaining QB on the board @#13. Your assumption about someone trading up with Miami for Jones is something most Dolphin fans are hoping for. Miami could get a good amount of draft capital, if a team thinks he's worth it. It's anyone's guess right now. Next years crop of QB's are all better than Haskins or Lock; which is why I think Miami waits till 2020. Just my opinion.

One thing is for sure, this draft process so far has had a different feel to it, than in years past. Perhaps because of the renewed hope, Ross finally got the F/O thing figured out? As for Haskins and Lock, I think both will be gone, in spite of all the talk of the Giants passing on a QB @#6. Leaving Jones as the one remaining QB on the board @#13. Your assumption about someone trading up with Miami for Jones is something most Dolphin fans are hoping for. Miami could get a good amount of draft capital, if a team thinks he's worth it. It's anyone's guess right now. Next years crop of QB's are all better than Haskins or Lock; which is why I think Miami waits till 2020. Just my opinion.
I think you are right. I also expect both Haskins and Lock to be gone. The only concern is that Miami has a resurgent kind of year, somehow avoids major injuries, wins close game and ends up somewhere around .500 picking in the middle of the draft. At least the front office is building up draft capital for 2020.

I would almost expect a trade down for Miami unless something unusual happens and a player slips who the team thinks will be elite.

I think you are right. I also expect both Haskins and Lock to be gone. The only concern is that Miami has a resurgent kind of year, somehow avoids major injuries, wins close game and ends up somewhere around .500 picking in the middle of the draft. At least the front office is building up draft capital for 2020.

I would almost expect a trade down for Miami unless something unusual happens and a player slips who the team thinks will be elite.
I think you're thought process is what most Dolphins Fans are thinking. Unless someone unexpectedly slips to Miami at #13 they'll look to trade down. And winning too much in 2019, to potentially loss out on a top QB in 2020. Tua and Fromm would have to declare!!! To make 2020 worth tanking for and as you well know that's not guarenteed!!! Jordan Love, Jacob Eason and KJ Costello may be other 1st round worthy 2020 QB's to keep an eye on. All is not lost IMO.

Most years we got it down to 2 or 3 players that we'd take but it is hard this year. Again, even tho this is not what I'd do, a corner is even possible if we stay at 13 but specially if we trade down. Logic would tell you we go Line either on defense or offense if we stay at 13 but again, is hard to tell this year.

I think you're thought process is what most Dolphins Fans are thinking. Unless someone unexpectedly slips to Miami at #13 they'll look to trade down. And winning too much in 2019, to potentially loss out on a top QB in 2020. Tua and Fromm would have to declare!!! To make 2020 worth tanking for and as you well know that's not guarenteed!!! Jordan Love, Jacob Eason and KJ Costello may be other 1st round worthy 2020 QB's to keep an eye on. All is not lost IMO.
Honestly, haven't dived into the 2020 quarterback class yet. Tua looks awesome and has mobility. He has pro talent all around him, though, so that has to be factored in. Herbert could take his game to another level. Right now, I like Haskins a little better. Haven't seen enough of the others yet, but scouts in general agree it's a better group than 2020.

I could see Miami gambling on Lock, but at this point I don't expect a quarterback early.

Back
Top Bottom