Patriots/ Welker Update | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Patriots/ Welker Update

elite14eva

Yashu Mane!!!
Club Member
Reaction score
Patriots | Welker update
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 10:29:38 -0800
Dan Pires, of The Standard-Times, reports the offer sheet the New England Patriots signed restricted free agent WR Wes Welker (Dolphins) is a seven-year, $38 million offer, according to sources close to the situation. The Patriots would have to give up a second-round draft pick to the Miami Dolphins should the Dolphins decline to match the offer

The day you can get any draft compensation (let alone a 2nd round pick) for a guy that went undrafted is a good day. Welker will be missed because of his contribution and his heart.

Poor Wes, he's gonna get Jacked up worse than that NE TE by Jason Allen.

Patriots | Welker costs two draft choices
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 14:55:06 -0800

Updating previous reports, Harvey Fialkov, of the Sun-Sentinel, citing SI.com, reports the New England Patriots sent a second- and seventh-round draft pick to the Miami Dolphins in return for WR/KR Wes Welker

Patriots | Welker update
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 10:29:38 -0800
Dan Pires, of The Standard-Times, reports the offer sheet the New England Patriots signed restricted free agent WR Wes Welker (Dolphins) is a seven-year, $38 million offer, according to sources close to the situation. The Patriots would have to give up a second-round draft pick to the Miami Dolphins should the Dolphins decline to match the offer

That was a Bogus report by Pires

The Patriots [team stats] today swung a trade with Miami for restricted free agent wide receiver Wes Welker, sending Miami second- and seventh-round draft choices instead of going through a potentially contentious offer sheet process with the Dolphins.
Sources indicated that Welker and the Pats have come to terms on a new multi-year deal, one that is surely more Patriots-friendly than the reported five-year, $38.5 million offer sheet the Pats were preparing.
Welker is a lightning-quick, undersized (5-foot-9, 185 pounds) slot receiver who caught 67 passes last season while also leading the Dolphins in punt and kickoff returns. He’s essentially a very good role player, which is also what the Pats hope they’re getting with their other two offensive free agent signings - tight end Kyle Brady, who will play in a rotation with Ben Watson [stats] and David Thomas, and running back Sammy Morris, who will back up Laurence Maroney [stats].
Welker toured the Patriots’ facilities today and met with coach Bill Belichick, quarterback Tom Brady [stats] and others.
“He’s thrilled,†agent Van McElroy said. “It’s twofold. One, he gets to play with Tom Brady. Second, it’s all about this organization and this staff. Belichick is a grinder, and so is Wes.â€Â
Sources said the Pats and Dolphins, in trying to maintain “relationships†and “continue to show respect for each other,†decided to work out a trade rather than go back and forth with offer sheets and poison pills. When the process gets to that point, hard feelings can emerge.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=186576

The pats have gone absolutely mad in the last week, I love it. A 2nd and 7th rd pick for Wes Welker? Are you kidding me?:lol:

The pats have gone absolutely mad in the last week, I love it. A 2nd and 7th rd pick for Wes Welker? Are you kidding me?:lol:

I hope they manage to survive with their TWO 1st rounders and Thomas...:evil:

The Pats had both the $$$ and the picks to grab a known playmaker, an excellent move by the Lombardi Legends Pioli and Belichick!!! :cooldude:

Welker is not worth such an insane amount of cash.

Yes he is a good no.3 WR. and he's a good ST. He's very talented.
But to give him that amount of $$$ and to give up two draft picks is insane.

I hope they manage to survive with their TWO 1st rounders and Thomas...:evil:

The Pats had both the $$$ and the picks to grab a known playmaker, an excellent move by the Lombardi Legends Pioli and Belichick!!! :cooldude:

So what? they have had plenty of cap room in the past as well and now they are spending huge $ ont he flavor of the month on D and at best a 3rd WR and below average return man. The pats have NOT had a good offeason so far. The 2 moves I like are typical Pats moves- getting Brady and Morris but the big $ moves were not good moves.

Wes was “a pain in the butt†to deal with when he was with the Dolphins. “We had to double-team him because no one could stick with him man-to-man,†Rodney Harrison

The contract is 10 million gaureented and its more like 18 million for 6 yrs.
so its more like wes for 1.5 million /yr

Back
Top Bottom