Patriots/ Welker Update | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Patriots/ Welker Update

Face it, New England overpaid to get Wes on their squad, but you just KNOW he'll come back to haunt us somehow someway. That's just the way it is

Face it, New England overpaid to get Wes on their squad, but you just KNOW he'll come back to haunt us somehow someway. That's just the way it is

i think the guy will be very good in new england....a 70 catch 900 yd 3-4 td guy.....but he aint worth what they gave...but new england can do that cause they are closer than we are....its a win win for both clubs

New England definitely overpaid.

It seems to me that Belichick is trying to load up to win this year, which is the last year of his contract, and therefore does not mind overpaying for players.

New England definitely overpaid.

It seems to me that Belichick is trying to load up to win this year, which is the last year of his contract, and therefore does not mind overpaying for players.

Actually last year is the final year of his contract.he just brought a house here for 4.5 million after the end of the season and signed a new contract no details but i figure as he just brought a house i am hoping he will stay here.

Do you think 6 yr / 10 million gaureented/18 million contract avg 1.5 million/year is too much ? with veteran minimum is 900k.

Actually last year is the final year of his contract.he just brought a house here for 4.5 million after the end of the season and signed a new contract no details but i figure as he just brought a house i am hoping he will stay here.

Do you think 6 yr / 10 million gaureented/18 million contract avg 1.5 million/year is too much ? with veteran minimum is 900k.

No, but a 2 and a 7 is way too much. Thomas Jones just went for a lot less. If Bill were concerned about the long term future of the Pats he would have used those picks to stockpile cheap talent.

Instead he is going the FA route which indicates a short term focus.

No, but a 2 and a 7 is way too much. Thomas Jones just went for a lot less. If Bill were concerned about the long term future of the Pats he would have used those picks to stockpile cheap talent.

Instead he is going the FA route which indicates a short term focus.

I understand what you are saying but pats have 10 picks this year.... and also historically WR development is slow.Even they pick a 1st rounder their no contribution for year 1. Also CJ the 2nd round pick last year has a torn ACL.Also, troy brown the slot receiver is 35.he is 25 yr old who is a younger version of troy brown slot receiver who can be used from today.The last 7th rounder to make the team was givens.

Also, you miss the fact that kraft stepped in and refused the pioson pill deal and threw the 7th for a trade for good relationship with dolphins.

I will wait till end of season and see if he was worth it or not.

I understand what you are saying but pats have 10 picks this year.... and also historically WR development is slow.Even they pick a 1st rounder their no contribution for year 1. Also CJ the 2nd round pick last year has a torn ACL.Also, troy brown the slot receiver is 35.he is 25 yr old who is a younger version of troy brown slot receiver who can be used from today.The last 7th rounder to make the team was givens.

Also, you miss the fact that kraft stepped in and refused the pioson pill deal and threw the 7th for a trade for good relationship with dolphins.

I will wait till end of season and see if he was worth it or not.

It will be impossible to judge as you could not know who the Patriots would have picked with that 2nd round selection.

Last year they got Chad Jackson with a #2, in 2002 they got Deion Branch with a #2 and David Givens with a #7

It will be impossible to judge as you could not know who the Patriots would have picked with that 2nd round selection.

Last year they got Chad Jackson with a #2, in 2002 they got Deion Branch with a #2 and David Givens with a #7

thanks for seeing my point .With wes i atleast know what one is getting and not like chad jackson who was hyped and did not deliver.When in throw in that a 2nd rounder is signed for 4 yrs and takes times to deliver when you got a decent WR/KR/PR for this for 6 years.

Wes was “a pain in the butt†to deal with when he was with the Dolphins. “We had to double-team him because no one could stick with him man-to-man,†Rodney Harrison

The contract is 10 million gaureented and its more like 18 million for 6 yrs.
so its more like wes for 1.5 million /yr

They must have been triple teaming him in Miami where he had 1 rec for -1 yards. In 4 career games he has had ONE good game against NE.

They must have been triple teaming him in Miami where he had 1 rec for -1 yards. In 4 career games he has had ONE good game against NE.
you have a severe case of denial .you just cant handle the thought of the patriots getting better .its your worst nightmare and its coming true .nobody with any credibility can deny the patriots are a better team than they were at the end of last season.

Well then he did better than the entire jets team has done since 2002.

NYJUNC that nick must be a tribute to your team.
P.S. junk is spelled with K

you have a severe case of denial .you just cant handle the thought of the patriots getting better .its your worst nightmare and its coming true .nobody with any credibility can deny the patriots are a better team that they were at the end of last season.

How have the Pats won this decade? By overspending on FAs or signing mid-level FAs drafting well? They have a proven formula, they are straying from that. I have praised NE for years for doing it the right way but they aren't doing it that way now. I am HAPPY you have made these moves.

I bet you are one of the people who loved all the Pats moves in the past and made fun of other team's fans who overpaid for players but now since NE is doing it it's ok. You made good signings w/ Brady and Morris, Thomas is vastly overpaid off of 2 good years- he's NOT a great player and giving Welker $10 mil guaranteed AND giving up 2 picks is asinine. Welker is a #3 WR and a below average return man. You can get guys like that anywhere.

Well then he did better than the entire jets team has done since 2002.

NYJUNC that nick must be a tribute to your team.
P.S. junk is spelled with K

Since you are a big Pats fan you'd know since '02 we did keep you out of the playoffs in '02 by beating you at NE on a Sunday Night in Week 16 and we did beat you at your place last year.

How have the Pats won this decade? By overspending on FAs or signing mid-level FAs drafting well? They have a proven formula, they are straying from that. I have praised NE for years for doing it the right way but they aren't doing it that way now. I am HAPPY you have made these moves.

I bet you are one of the people who loved all the Pats moves in the past and made fun of other team's fans who overpaid for players but now since NE is doing it it's ok. You made good signings w/ Brady and Morris, Thomas is vastly overpaid off of 2 good years- he's NOT a great player and giving Welker $10 mil guaranteed AND giving up 2 picks is asinine. Welker is a #3 WR and a below average return man. You can get guys like that anywhere.

Since you are a big Pats fan you'd know since '02 we did keep you out of the playoffs in '02 by beating you at NE on a Sunday Night in Week 16 and we did beat you at your place last year.

What a dumb statement ....
1) Number of FA signed was in 2000 - 22 - 17 were starters who played .According to your logic this did not happen.
2)Biggest contract signed in 2003 for a LB was Colvins. His contract when taken % of the cap is still bigger than that of thomas. Again this did not happen and also according to you the 2003 and 2004 season they sucked due so siging a big contract when they won a back to back SB.
3)When you have 109 million for 53 players the walker deal of 1.5 million per year is lower than the team player avg and is 500,000$ more than the veteran minimum... yeah that is definitely bad.
4)Living in the past. You completely forgot to mention that the cap room increased by 6% in those years and we had a temp raiseof 27% this year and from next year it goes back to the 6% avg growth .so in this year every team will have a lot of cap room to offer bigger signing bonus and smaller salary deals like thomas.
5)Also forgot to mention the patriots have 10 draft picks even after the damn trade and they are going trade some way anyway as they do not have alot of open slot in the 53.

What a dumb statement ....
1) Number of FA signed was in 2000 - 22 - 17 were starters who played .According to your logic this did not happen.

Where did i say anything about signing FAs? I am talking abou signing high priced FAs. NE has done a masterful job at signing mid-level FAs and managed the cap very well.

2)Biggest contract signed in 2003 for a LB was Colvins. His contract when taken % of the cap is still bigger than that of thomas. Again this did not happen and also according to you the 2003 and 2004 season they sucked due so siging a big contract when they won a back to back SB.

Colvin got $6 mil guaranteed, Takeo Spikes got $9 mil- 9 is highere than 6, right?

Don't use Peter king as your source for anything, that was a PK column on % of cap- any way you slice the $6 mil for a 25 yeard old player was nothing close to $20 mil for a 30 year old player. $6 mil was not a huge contarct even 4 years ago, yes they won but the first one they won WITHOUT Colvin as he was hurt.

3)When you have 109 million for 53 players the walker deal of 1.5 million per year is lower than the team player avg and is 500,000$ more than the veteran minimum... yeah that is definitely bad.

The contract itself is irrlevant, the important #s are the guaranteed money and he got a ridiclous $10 mil guaranteed.

4)Living in the past. You completely forgot to mention that the cap room increased by 6% in those years and we had a temp raiseof 27% this year and from next year it goes back to the 6% avg growth .so in this year every team will have a lot of cap room to offer bigger signing bonus and smaller salary deals like thomas.

Again the Pats have ALWAYS had cap room but they chosen to sign big $ FAs or extend their own players. Just b/c you have cap room doesn't mean you have to spend it, teams like NE have been the model b/c they haven't overspent.

5)Also forgot to mention the patriots have 10 draft picks even after the damn trade and they are going trade some way anyway as they do not have alot of open slot in the 53.

According to NFL.com NE had 8 BEFORE the welker deal so that means they have 6 left and you don't throw away 2nd rd picks on players like we welker who can be found anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom