Pats are good....and will only get better | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pats are good....and will only get better

Canuck

Starter
Reaction score
As much as it pains me to say it, the Patriots know what they are doing. From Robert Craft to the water boy, they have a singular agenda and everyone plays their part. The part of franchise architect and coach is being played awfully damn well by Bill Belicheck. He and his front office people have built a team around his offensive and defensive systems that, to the best of my knowledge, don't take super stars to man but instead take good, solid, intelligent and disiplined players who know their part in the grand scheme of it all. These players are not without talent to be sure but outside of Ty Law, Rodney Harrison and Richard Seymour, you'd be hard pressed to find an All Pro prospect. That's the hidden beauty of their system. No Lavar Arrington's reside at Gillette stadium. No single player is bigger than the sum of it's parts and therefore no player will command umpteen jillion dollars when his contract expires. A single player does not amass gaudy numbers deserving of the highest paid players in the league yet the end result is a Super Bowl berth. The 2nd for this coach's regime and likely not it's last. Enter the other beautiful part of their grand plan.

This SuperBowl team has 13 draft choices including two in rounds 1 and 2 this April. The draft, not free agency, is where teams build winners. Free agents are (mostly) plug in players to fill out the roster. The draft is where you build a perenial winner and NE is doing that very, very well. Last year, with no apperent need to use their 2nd first rounder, they traded it to Baltimore for their 03' 2nd rounder and 04' 1st rounder. Miami got NE's 3rd last year in exchange for our 2nd this year. The cycle is set to repeat itself again this year. Theoretically, NE could repeat this process year in and year out and continue to add young-talented players to already talented team. Conversely, Miami has made a habit of trading away 1st and 2nd rounders in a vain effort to make it to Super Bowl. It's not working. We haven't even been to the playoffs in 2 year's much less the Super Bowl. Meanwhile a talented, and extremely well paid defense grows a year older with no apperent replacements in sight. Add to the fact that the offense is expected to get most/all of this year's draft attention (and rightfully so) you have to wonder where we'll be next year much less the foreseeable future.

The sad truth is, Miami is a good but not great team. We certainly could be great with a few brilliant moves by the personel dept. but meanwhile our division foe has seemed to figured out how to be great most of the time. That and they don't appear to have lost their focus on the future either....

The Pats are great, but that wont last. How are the Pats going to deal with losing both the offense and defensive coordinators???...

They will both be gone soon. Replacing them wont be easy. BB is an excellent HC, but he'll have some serious homework to do looking for their replacements....

Plus, the Pats roster has quite a few FA's right now. Keeping them all happy will be very tricky. I wont lie, I'm currently jealous of the Pats. How much longer I stay that way remains to be seen. It will be interesting to watch what the Pats do this off-season...

PHINZ RULE!!!

:fire:

If I'm not mistaken, I read somewhere that they are projected to be $40 million over the salary cap this year (2004). So, they have some major juggling to do with contracts, especially having two first round picks. Obviously, they won't be a major player in free agency, although, they could put a few players on the street as a result of cap casualties.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have all the draft picks lined up over the next three years like they do, but they could be losing some key veterans this off season.

Just my thoughts.

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG
The Pats are great, but that wont last. How are the Pats going to deal with losing both the offense and defensive coordinators???...

They will both be gone soon. Replacing them wont be easy. BB is an excellent HC, but he'll have some serious homework to do looking for their replacements....

Plus, the Pats roster has quite a few FA's right now. Keeping them all happy will be very tricky. I wont lie, I'm currently jealous of the Pats. How much longer I stay that way remains to be seen. It will be interesting to watch what the Pats do this off-season...

PHINZ RULE!!!

Those FAs could leave and they wouldn't miss a beat for the most part. Bilichick gets it done with no-namers and a solid gameplan.

The two Coordinators will be a much bigger hit, but I'm not convinced they're going to leave. Why would you with 2 rings (probably) and no reason not to expect more in the near future?

Why would they leave New England???

A HC job, and lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

PHINZ RULE!!!:fire:

AHHH so Ego and Quality of Life then ;).

Sounz reasonable enough I guess. I think Crenell has the advantage of the two.

Originally posted by phinphanbill
If I'm not mistaken, I read somewhere that they are projected to be $40 million over the salary cap this year (2004). So, they have some major juggling to do with contracts, especially having two first round picks. Obviously, they won't be a major player in free agency, although, they could put a few players on the street as a result of cap casualties.

They are projected to be $400,000 over the cap next year.

The Pats are no more than a 9-7 to 11-5 team that got some nice breaks this year. They're very good. They're not a "great" team.
Don't slice your wrists, k?

PHINZ RULE!!!

Noone is looking for a HC still except Oakland. That is not an attractive position. They will both still be in NE next year.:cry:

The Pats will be a very good team in the next few years. However, the Dolphins will have a very good team as well. The Fins and Pats will be battling for the East in the next few years.

Originally posted by finsfan4life
The Pats will be a very good team in the next few years. However, the Dolphins will have a very good team as well. The Fins and Pats will be battling for the East in the next few years.
yeah and the Jets and Bills wont be there either< LMAO! Give me a break and take off those rose colored glasses! The Jets r going to be real good next year with Penny back and so will the Bills!

Originally posted by Agua
Bills will probably be improved as well. There. Feel better?
nope...Pats will win the East again. The coaching is far superior, they're getting younger each year with their multiple draft picks, and they catch all the breaks. Doesn't matter how improved Miami, Buffalo, and the Jets are...the Patriots will improve as well:(

The Pats are good.

Their coordinators will be back next year.

Their talent level will be better as several players come back from injury - they lost, what, 9 guys this year? If that happened to Miami, Dave W would be making all kinds of excuses for the 6-10 season and everyone would say, "Oh, whine, whine, he had too many injuries - please bring him back!"

Pats are lucky and not a good team? Well, that luck has been there three straight years. They are lucky b/c they play well and are in position to make plays. The fact is, in the Salary Cap era, no team is a great team. But, the Pats are as close to a Great team as Anyone!

They have great management and personnel guys; they have great coaches; and they have players that buy into the system and are happier to win Super Bowls than get into Pro Bowls (unlike some other teams ...).

Originally posted by Da 'Fins
Pats are lucky and not a good team?

Please identify the post in this thread where someone made that statement. They're a good to very good team that is also lucky.

Back
Top Bottom