Pedro headed to BULLPEN; Mets season now over! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pedro headed to BULLPEN; Mets season now over!

RWhitney014 said:
You missed the end of 2004 and all of 2005 when Mota stunk with Dukie as his catcher, didn't you?
Cause you guys tried to make him a closer and hes just not that guy apparently. regardless his era with lo duca is about a run lower then his career era

MikeO said:
an amazing PEDRO stat.

Pedro has only won 4 games since May 30th!!!!
all the more reason met fans really should not be worried. Pedro hasnt been himself all season and now we're suddenly the underdogs without him? Ok thats fine. Ill take that in a heartbeat. Anyone who doesnt believe that Reyes/lo duca/beltran/delgado/wright/floyd/green/ valentin cant slug their way to the ws is naive.

Boik14 said:
all the more reason met fans really should not be worried. Pedro hasnt been himself all season and now we're suddenly the underdogs without him? Ok thats fine. Ill take that in a heartbeat. Anyone who doesnt believe that Reyes/lo duca/beltran/delgado/wright/floyd/green/ valentin cant slug their way to the ws is naive.

Can they do it? Sure they can, but if Houston gets in the Mets are done, great pitching always (or almost always) beats great hitting

Alex44 said:
Can they do it? Sure they can, but if Houston gets in the Mets are done, great pitching always (or almost always) beats great hitting
But if average pitching shuts down awful hitting (save for berkman) the mets can still get it done. If we played houston i just would walk berkman everytime he came up with a runner on cause there is absolutely no one else there that scares me even a little. Wilson's washed up, huff is overrated, Biggio is eh at this point....I think I would actually prefer to see houston instead Philly or LA, teams that can slug with us.

Boik14 said:
Cause you guys tried to make him a closer and hes just not that guy apparently. regardless his era with lo duca is about a run lower then his career era

He wasn't closing in 2004 when Benitez was having a career year. He wasn't closing in 2005 when he got hurt and only had the job for a week until Jones took it en route to a career year. And he had a worse ERA with us in 2004 when he wasn't closing at all.

The guy has been the property of four teams since the end of last season. Rare is the case where that bodes well for anyone, much less a reliever.

And it's a shame with Mota, because his stuff is so good. We know he can get hitters out consistently. He just pulled a post-Minny LaTroy Hawkins. He refused to throw a fastball down the middle of the plate for strike one last season. He nibbled until he fell behind 3-0, came back with a straight get-me-over BP one and got slammed, or he walked a couple guys before that.

The Mets are in trouble. The offense has not been good at all in September; only two teams have scored fewer runs in the month, and Delgado is hitting .230-something. So is Floyd. Valentin's below the Mendoza line for the month. The AARP will be starting the first three games of whatever series you guys will have, and the fourth starter is...John Maine? Mike Pelfrey? They just don't inspire much confidence.

I personally always sell high on teams like the Mets that clinch the division early and coast to the end. It's very tough to get that "it" factor back unless you're a team for the ages, like the '98 Yankees. If the offense were coming in red-hot, maybe they'd be able to overcome the sore lack of starting pitching. But unless some changes very quickly, it's not going to happen.

The problem the Mets face is they went from a team that was well rounded with strong up-front starting pitchers. Good bullpen. Outstanding lineup. A team that could beat you many ways.

Now, from here on out they are going to have to out-slug people to win in the playoffs. That is asking a lot. Not impossible, but difficult. If they don't score 5 or 6 runs a game.......they are toast most likely.

RWhitney014 said:
He wasn't closing in 2004 when Benitez was having a career year. He wasn't closing in 2005 when he got hurt and only had the job for a week until Jones took it en route to a career year. And he had a worse ERA with us in 2004 when he wasn't closing at all.

The guy has been the property of four teams since the end of last season. Rare is the case where that bodes well for anyone, much less a reliever.

And it's a shame with Mota, because his stuff is so good. We know he can get hitters out consistently. He just pulled a post-Minny LaTroy Hawkins. He refused to throw a fastball down the middle of the plate for strike one last season. He nibbled until he fell behind 3-0, came back with a straight get-me-over BP one and got slammed, or he walked a couple guys before that.

The Mets are in trouble. The offense has not been good at all in September; only two teams have scored fewer runs in the month, and Delgado is hitting .230-something. So is Floyd. Valentin's below the Mendoza line for the month. The AARP will be starting the first three games of whatever series you guys will have, and the fourth starter is...John Maine? Mike Pelfrey? They just don't inspire much confidence.
I personally always sell high on teams like the Mets that clinch the division early and coast to the end. It's very tough to get that "it" factor back unless you're a team for the ages, like the '98 Yankees. If the offense were coming in red-hot, maybe they'd be able to overcome the sore lack of starting pitching. But unless some changes very quickly, it's not going to happen.
Actaully if Willie sees it my way Maine will be starting game 3 cause trashel and his 5 era are done imo. Pelfrey has been shut down due to a very minor back ailment. But at this point id let Dave williams start over Trax. Glavine has been pretty solid all year and El duque has a sub 4 era since hes been a met so while not spectacular theyve led the staff along with maine for a few months anyway so I believe, albeit with cautious optimism, they can pitch well even for the mets to get to the ws. Whether they or anyone can handle a stacked line up like NYY is a different animal but we'll worry about that when/if we get there.

The offense im really not worried about. Call me crazy but this "it factor" you talk about I dont really believe in. Hitting is hitting and all these guys have done is hit the snot out of the ball all season, theyre entitled to a bad month when most of the games we're playing kids and reserves. IMO we'll probably play the regs the last 2-3 games and let them get back in the swing of it. With a lineup like that I fully expect this team to win their games 7-4 like theyve done all year. Plus you want to talk about an it factor then dont forget to mention that we lead the majors in walk off wins and wright leads everyone with 5 of his own, 1 of them coming off the very Mariano rivera we're likely to face in the WS and the best closer of all time imo. Which also means absolutely no one is unhittable for this team in a clutch situation or any other situation.

As far as mota maybe the credit is due to peterson then because hes been getting ahead of hitters the way he once did in LA and Montreal/Wash using that same fastball.

Furthermore, you should all be worshiping the mets from saving all of the non atlanta braves fanbase from watching the braves lose in the postseason for the 15th time in 16 years!!!!! Good god, talk about a movie you knew the ending to!

Boik14 said:
Furthermore, you should all be worshiping the mets from saving all of the non atlanta braves fanbase from watching the braves lose in the postseason for the 15th time in 16 years!!!!! Good god, talk about a movie you knew the ending to!

Yes thank you Mets for finally ending that streak. I don't know why it bothered me so much seeing the Braves always in the playoffs only to roll over and pay dead with half of their stadium empty. I guess I just like seeing new blood in the playoffs every year.

Boik14 said:
Hernandez is 19-14-2.55 era in the postseason. I dont know where youre looking brotha.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/hernaor01.shtml

ROBERTO Hernandez not orlando.

Boik14 said:
Wagner only faced Sd for 1 inning of 1 game in 98 and he got a win so how can you even count that? ATL hes faced 4 games in the postseasona nd for whatever reason they had his number. Still wagner is perfect since the break and going by his 91% save rate over the last 4 years hes perfectly capable of stepping up in the postseason and with pedro done hes their ace now so he will have to.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/wagnebi02.shtml

The Astros had a 4-2 lead when he came in for the save in the 9th but he blew it and Hou won in the bot of the 9th. his postseason ERA is 7.71, he has been good over the 2nd half of this year w/ no pressure. He can be good in october but his history wouldn't give me alot of confidence.

I am absolutely furious that the front office didn't pull the trigger on a Zito deal. I wanted it done at the time and now their need for another starter is even more pronounced.

(Incidentally, UT, I will take that bet against Zito becoming a Padre. He will be playing in one of the Five Boroughs...just not sure which one.)

The Mets can still get to the World Series; they've basically been without Pedro for half the season, at least now they know they won't get him back and have to move on. But right now, I can't see how they'd have a good chance against the AL's best.

phunwin said:
I am absolutely furious that the front office didn't pull the trigger on a Zito deal. I wanted it done at the time and now their need for another starter is even more pronounced.

(Incidentally, UT, I will take that bet against Zito becoming a Padre. He will be playing in one of the Five Boroughs...just not sure which one.)

The Mets can still get to the World Series; they've basically been without Pedro for half the season, at least now they know they won't get him back and have to move on. But right now, I can't see how they'd have a good chance against the AL's best.

The mets were well out in front when pedro went down, it's going to alot different in a short series. Even w/ pedro the Mets didn't have enough pitching to match up w/ the AL and now they have no shot at that BUt I think they can bash their way to the WS IF they don't see Hou in Rd 1.

nyjunc said:
The mets were well out in front when pedro went down, it's going to alot different in a short series. Even w/ pedro the Mets didn't have enough pitching to match up w/ the AL and now they have no shot at that BUt I think they can bash their way to the WS IF they don't see Hou in Rd 1.

Only two teams in the AL scare me when facing the Mets (If we get there)

Twins & A's, everyone else else has the same pitching as the Mets.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Only two teams in the AL scare me when facing the Mets (If we get there)

Twins & A's, everyone else else has the same pitching as the Mets.

The Yankees don't scare you? Wow. I think they're the class of the field. I'm also not enthralled by Detroit. They've faded, and they have the only AL lineup that's free swinging enough to have a problem with our corner-nibbling pitching staff. The Yanks are a TERRIBLE matchup for the Mets. Too many patient hitters + pitchers who live off the plate = disaster.

BTW, check my newest blog post for more. Link's here: http://phunwin.blogspot.com

phunwin said:
The Yankees don't scare you? Wow. I think they're the class of the field. I'm also not enthralled by Detroit. They've faded, and they have the only AL lineup that's free swinging enough to have a problem with our corner-nibbling pitching staff. The Yanks are a TERRIBLE matchup for the Mets. Too many patient hitters + pitchers who live off the plate = disaster.

BTW, check my newest blog post for more. Link's here: http://phunwin.blogspot.com

I'm talking about pitching, not bats.

The yanks have the same starting staff we have.

Wang= Glavine
Moose= Track
Duque= Johnston (and I may even give Duque the bow because the Mets always hit Johnston well)

Back
Top Bottom