PFF discuses Tua future in Miami | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFF discuses Tua future in Miami

I don't get the Watson infatuation given all his legal issues on top of what have to be character concerns going forward. Wilson too seems on the downside of his career arc so no thanks there. I think we clearly have to build around Tua as we have him on the rookie contract for another 2 years and have two 2023 first round picks if things go poorly for him next year. The one caveat and what would be a tough and interesting decision is if the Fins could actually land the Rodgers/Adams duo from Green Bay. If that was actually a possibility then Grier would really have a conundrum on his hands.

I don't think it's all infatuation. Some are here just to stir the pot

FH insider would refute the rumours the insiders thoughts can be found in the 347 club Brother

True that the media will continue with the Runours as they are self serving

Thankfully Russ Wilson have them extra fodder for the off-season just yesterday

I didn't know about the FH insider. I hope he's right, but in my experience, when there's that much smoke there's usually something. At this point it's very possible Tua has changed Ross's mind, but I mean... Ross seems like a swell guy, but the fact that he's the owner is enough to keep us on our toes year in and year out. He just doesn't seem to have the knack for it.

I didn't know about the FH insider. I hope he's right, but in my experience, when there's that much smoke there's usually something. At this point it's very possible Tua has changed Ross's mind, but I mean... Ross seems like a swell guy, but the fact that he's the owner is enough to keep us on our toes year in and year out. He just doesn't seem to have the knack for it.
He has it direct and explains in detail where things went sideways

The Dolphins are going to roll with Tua, they have this far so they'll ride it out. No doubt he has the skill set to be special if he can stay healthy, and that would be the deciding factor as to whether he's re signed. In the meantime you have to build around him and see if what he can do with even a mediocre OL, if he had that the play calling expands and he's even more efficient but even now, I'd include Tua as one of the top 5 players on the team.

This is true for alot of QBs no? Really dont have all day to look at this but a couple of examples...

Watson has a 12% dip in comp. and 3x INTs
Herbert has a 9% dip and 2x INTs
Brady has a 14% dip and about the same amount of INTs on 200 less attempts
Wilson 11% dip and 1 INT short of 3x

This is kind of obvious though, the more you wait to throw the ball, the more the OL makes its way into the equation and there arent alot of OLs in the NFL that will consistently keep you clean for more than 3-4 seconds.

In other words, the worse your OL is, the harder it is for a QB... Not sure anyone ever tried to dispute that fact.
Where are you getting those figures from? Additionally, Tua's 20.9% drop is a lot more than when you found there.

Where Tua struggles where some of those QBs you mentioned don't is throwing outside the pocket and under pressure. He's very poor. His clean pocket vs under pressure stats are drastic even going back to Alabama days.

USAToday did a piece on reasons why Tua struggles when his 1st RPO read isn't there:

Where are you getting those figures from? Additionally, Tua's 20.9% drop is a lot more than when you found there.

Where Tua struggles where some of those QBs you mentioned don't is throwing outside the pocket and under pressure. He's very poor. His clean pocket vs under pressure stats are drastic even going back to Alabama days.
From pro-football-reference, and they're not even correct, they look better then they actually are because I didnt even take pass attempts into account, AND none of them have more attempts 2.5+ than 2.5-...

Im not trying to have a Tua debate with you... Im trying to understand what you make of that particular statistic. I think its a useful one to point you in the right direction for further research, but not much more.

The threshold is set at 2.5, static, for all QBs being evaluated. Depending on the ability of the OL, 2.5 seconds into a play might look very different for different QBs. What I dont like about it is that all QBs are evaluated on that exact figure, in other words, the QB thats playing behind the #1 OL gets a significant advantage over QBs that play behind bad OLs.

The stat is useful to some extent but needs to be handicapped depending on OL play, which is very hard given the low quality of metrics evaluating OL. IMO

From pro-football-reference, and they're not even correct, they look better then they actually are because I didnt even take pass attempts into account, AND none of them have more attempts 2.5+ than 2.5-...

Im not trying to have a Tua debate with you... Im trying to understand what you make of that particular statistic. I think its a useful one to point you in the right direction for further research, but not much more.

The threshold is set at 2.5, static, for all QBs being evaluated. Depending on the ability of the OL, 2.5 seconds into a play might look very different for different QBs. What I dont like about it is that all QBs are evaluated on that exact figure, in other words, the QB thats playing behind the #1 OL gets a significant advantage over QBs that play behind bad OLs.

The stat is useful to some extent but needs to be handicapped depending on OL play, which is very hard given the low quality of metrics evaluating OL. IMO
Where does pro-football-reference break throws up into below 2.5 and above 2.5 times? I don't see that. Are you just looking at averages?

Where does pro-football-reference break throws up into below 2.5 and above 2.5 times? I don't see that. Are you just looking at averages?
Go on the player's page and its under splits tab.

Watson has not played in a yr. It seems players never come back as strong after sitting out, for anything other than a injury Tua is a very good fit for Flo and how he wants to play games Move the ball make good throws and do not hurt the defense. Give the guy a run game and an even avg o-line, we should make a long run next yr

Back
Top Bottom