PFF’s Favorite and Least Favorite Miami Dolphins Free Agency Move | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFF’s Favorite and Least Favorite Miami Dolphins Free Agency Move

MDFINFAN

Reach for the Stars
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I know I’m sounding like a Grier fanboy, but to go from everyone calling you out on day one of free agency to one of the best rosters in the league in ten days is nothing short of amazing.

As PFF said, the Dolphins lost so much talent on day one. It was like watching the housing market crash while your whole portfolio was real estate.

Since then, Chris Grier has been steadily building the roster piece by piece like a Lego master. The only part I could disagree with on PFF is the Jake Bailey signing. It’s a little too rich for my blood with how he performed last year. https://www.thephinsider.com/2024/3...rite-miami-dolphins-free-agency-move-2024-nfl

Next year promises another round of this... we'll have to pick up 5th year options on Waddle and Phillips (if he returns to strength), and either resign or tag Holland, while paying Tua real money.

That's going to be a lot... an awful lot of money.

In 2026, some of these guys are probably gonna walk or be traded.

To survive, we'll have to sign a lot of these cheap 1 year deals and hit on quite a few draft picks.

Next year promises another round of this... we'll have to pick up 5th year options on Waddle and Phillips (if he returns to strength), and either resign or tag Holland, while paying Tua real money.

That's going to be a lot... an awful lot of money.

In 2026, some of these guys are probably gonna walk or be traded.

To survive, we'll have to sign a lot of these cheap 1 year deals and hit on quite a few draft picks.
Both signings need to happen
As long as there are no health issues
We need to start re-signing our own good players

Yeah, not much to dislike. When you're a team veterans are lining up to play for, and you're able to sign them to such team-friendly deals, it's a lot easier. The hard part is building a team/organization that veterans want to play for.
The allure of living in South Florida is a big draw. Many already live there.

Can't complain. All were very reasonable deals. Only disappointment so far has been Kendall Lamm's situation. He did well last year. Thought he'd have been a priority for Miami. I wonder what's going on with him and his F/A position, haven't heard anything.

OBJ as big a fan as I am. I knew it be about the money. I'm just glad Grier didn't oblige.

Gotta give him credit...he's made deals that we usually see other teams make that piss us off that we didn't make. At least he has provided some reason for optimism going into 2024 and beyond with how they're managing resources. They're going to need time (yet again) to gel and get the systems down, but it feels like they have the roster to possibly improve over last season.

Caveat: the trenches need to play top-shelf.

Grier has had a fantastic offseason so far. My biggest FA regret was any time I wasted reading posts and articles about how we were doomed b/c of the salary cap.

Well we're still going to pay the piper, we're just borrowing the money from future years teams. It's not like the money appeared out of thin air so lets not pretend like we expertly navigated the cap.

The only way to counteract it is with two insanely efficient draft classes.

Well we're still going to pay the piper, we're just borrowing the money from future years teams. It's not like the money appeared out of thin air so lets not pretend like we expertly navigated the cap.

The only way to counteract it is with two insanely efficient draft classes.
It's not about money appearing from "thin air". Managing the cap is about having flexibility. That means that contract hits are staggered so that as players become too expensive the team has the ability to either extend them or get out of the contract in a manageable way. That means that players will leave and players will be replaced. The gloom and doom cap posts are naive and tiresome.

...and you have to let some of them walk or trade them for minimal compensation.

Look at the Chiefs and Sneed. They just couldn't afford to keep him. That middle of the 3rd round pick they got for him was barely better than the likely late 3rd comp pick that they would have gotten from the NFL.

We're there.

We lost a couple players this year, and I really wonder about Holland next year... it's the system.

Back
Top Bottom