PFF’s Favorite and Least Favorite Miami Dolphins Free Agency Move | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFF’s Favorite and Least Favorite Miami Dolphins Free Agency Move

It's not about money appearing from "thin air". Managing the cap is about having flexibility. That means that contract hits are staggered so that as players become too expensive the team has the ability to either extend them or get out of the contract in a manageable way. That means that players will leave and players will be replaced. The gloom and doom cap posts are naive and tiresome.

Thats not standard operating procedure no matter how you spin it.

Its what you do when you don't have much to speak of from recent drafts.

Last edited:
It is hard to argue with any additions, except maybe resigning the punter.

It will be interesting to see how Grier replaces Wilkins and Hunt, though. That seems like the top two needs heading into the draft.

Yet people want to talk about WR's. :bang:
I do wonder what another good to great wide receiver would mean to this offense, though.

Just for discussion, how would teams cover Hill, Waddle and Thomas? Mitchell etc.

But, yes I do think DT is a glaring weakness. The offensive line is in better shape, but I'd be disappointed if Grier didn't add a potential starter there. Meaning a high pick.

The big names we lost were draft picks. Fans are myopic and tend to focus on whether the most recent high pick became a star. Reality is that average in the draft for an NFL team is that you hit on about 50% of your 1st round picks and less after that. The Dolphins have been at least good at the draft and stellar at FA since Grier got final say.

And my point is that it is standard operating procedure once you have a good roster. There will be a balance of draft picks and FA pickups. Some years we'll have more of one than the other. It's not about looking at one or two years. It's about looking at longer patterns. Going forward there will always be roster turnover, but it won't mean the cap apocalypse that we'll certainly read about every year.

The big names we lost were draft picks. Fans are myopic and tend to focus on whether the most recent high pick became a star. Reality is that average in the draft for an NFL team is that you hit on about 50% of your 1st round picks and less after that. The Dolphins have been at least good at the draft and stellar at FA since Grier got final say.

And my point is that it is standard operating procedure once you have a good roster. There will be a balance of draft picks and FA pickups. Some years we'll have more of one than the other. It's not about looking at one or two years. It's about looking at longer patterns. Going forward there will always be roster turnover, but it won't mean the cap apocalypse that we'll certainly read about every year.

We’ve had the fewest amount of draft picks over a 3 year period in history, how do you think all the dead money and void years will magically work itself out when we haven’t even signed our QB to extension yet?

The Chiefs, with paid QB in the league and now Chris Jones’s contract, don’t operate this way. They have less than $6M in dead money year and a single void year on the books.

Restructuring expensive contracts so you can compete in the interim isn't something isn’t a winning formula. It’s what you have to do when you don’t have much young, cheap talent to speak of.

This has nothing to do with losing Wilkins or Hunt. This is about restructuring guys you can’t afford to begin with and suggesting that’s perfectly normal practice to take such large cap hits for them after they are gone. Again, not a winning formula, no matter how you soon it.

If we had a bunch of first and second round picks from the last two drafts who were expected to contribute now, it would be a different story. But we chose a different path when we gave up on building through the draft and went the expensive veteran route.

Not only did we acquire a bunch of expensive veterans, we gave up a lot of premium picks to do it. At least if they were FAs we could’ve supplemented some of those salaries with low cost contributors.

Again, not standard practice no matter how big a fan of mortgaging you are.

I do wonder what another good to great wide receiver would mean to this offense, though.

Just for discussion, how would teams cover Hill, Waddle and Thomas? Mitchell etc.

Wouldn’t make enough of a difference if you can’t block for 3 seconds. Passing offense is a lot more than QBs and WRs. You can’t just continue to ignore the parts of your offense that need attention to add another shiny toy.

You’re not beating the Chiefs or Ravens with more WRs.

We need OL and Dl. That’s what plagued us last year.

Next year promises another round of this... we'll have to pick up 5th year options on Waddle and Phillips (if he returns to strength), and either resign or tag Holland, while paying Tua real money.

That's going to be a lot... an awful lot of money.

In 2026, some of these guys are probably gonna walk or be traded.

To survive, we'll have to sign a lot of these cheap 1 year deals and hit on quite a few draft picks.
aand we better draft wisely

This has nothing to do with losing Wilkins or Hunt. This is about restructuring guys you can’t afford to begin with and suggesting that’s perfectly normal practice to take such large cap hits for them after they are gone. Again, not a winning formula, no matter how you soon it.
Paying for guys who are no longer on the team is an incredibly dumb way to run a business.

The better we become as a team, the more we are going to see talent leave each year, so I think we better get used to that.

Wilkins and Hunt are good players, but not $27M and $20M a year good......so I think Grier did the right thing by letting them walk, and unfortunately they will not be the last.

It is the players coming in the front door that we should be excited about. We will need to replace folks each year and we need to trust the process to make that happen. Grier is off to a great start with this years high profile departures and we still have some free agent money as of June 1st and we have the draft.

We aren't going through anything different than all of the other teams. Look at our AFC competition this year with the Bills, Chiefs and Ravens all having significant losses. It's going to happen....so we need to get good at managing the process

Reek and Chubb technically should count as 'draft choices' and pretty damn good ones too. They are veteran and proven unlike 50% of first round draft choices. While it's expensive, they are near the top at their positions. You can argue against Chubb but he has made the D better for the attention he occupies. Reek is the best, period.

Last edited:
Reek and Chubb technically should count as 'draft choices' and pretty damn good ones too.

How do you figure? Draft choices are cheap.

Chubb makes almost as much money as Myles Garrett and is nowhere near the pass rusher.

If Chubb doesn’t slam his helmet against the Titans in one of the most selfish moves of all time, we might’ve won the division.

He’s not nearly the pass rusher you think he is. He hustles though, so I’ll give him that.

He’s nowhere near the caliber of player Jaelen Phillips was before his injury. Chubb is never going to give a great OT a problem.

What Chubb did to Mekhi Becton, Phillips did to Lane Johnson.

Last edited:
How do you figure? Draft choices are cheap.

Chubb makes almost as much money as Myles Garrett and is nowhere near the pass rusher.

If Chubb doesn’t slam his helmet against the Titans in one of the most selfish moves of all time, we might’ve won the division.

He’s not nearly the pass rusher you think he is. He hustles though, so I’ll give him that.
You are right about Chubb but he's not Deion Jordan (or what ever name was) however since he's been here the pass rush has improved. Yea, that was a dumb ass play that cost us the game, but he's created big plays too. The money is a big factor I agree, but there is the proven commodity factor. We thought we were going to compete for the ring too.

Back
Top Bottom