PFF’s Favorite and Least Favorite Miami Dolphins Free Agency Move | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFF’s Favorite and Least Favorite Miami Dolphins Free Agency Move

It is hard to argue with any additions, except maybe resigning the punter.

It will be interesting to see how Grier replaces Wilkins and Hunt, though. That seems like the top two needs heading into the draft.
Yup. We had a lot of guys to replace. We did like 5 by my count but could use some picks to address the other 2. Question is whether we go need or best available.

How do you figure? Draft choices are cheap.

Chubb makes almost as much money as Myles Garrett and is nowhere near the pass rusher.

If Chubb doesn’t slam his helmet against the Titans in one of the most selfish moves of all time, we might’ve won the division.

He’s not nearly the pass rusher you think he is. He hustles though, so I’ll give him that.

He’s nowhere near the caliber of player Jaelen Phillips was before his injury. Chubb is never going to give a great OT a problem.

What Chubb did to Mekhi Becton, Phillips did to Lane Johnson.
Garrett is right at the top regarding pressures per snap with one every 5.86 last season. Chubb isn't far behind though with one every 6.78 snaps. Phillips had one pressure every 7.7 snaps last season, and every 7.01 snaps the last two combined.

Chubb beat better tackles than Becton last season. The implication of your last sentence seems to be an attempt to push a narrative that may not be true.

Garrett is right at the top regarding pressures per snap with one every 5.86 last season. Chubb isn't far behind though with one every 6.78 snaps. Phillips had one pressure every 7.7 snaps last season, and every 7.01 snaps the last two combined.

Chubb beat better tackles than Becton last season. The implication of your last sentence seems to be an attempt to push a narrative that may not be true.

You can't really compare guys who a double teamed to guys who aren't and call it apples to apples. They're not in the same league.

Last edited:
So thinking that accumulating dead cap money and using void years is a positive means you know how the cap works, got it genius.

Maybe later you can tell me how to pay all my bills will credit cards.
Paying all your bills w/ a credit card is smart as long as you just automatically pay it off that month - that's how I pay for vacations:) Sorry just had to throw it out there...on the real part though - while I understand where you're coming from and generally agree with you there are times where it's necessary - and beneficial- I think the problem becomes when it's overused and puts you in absolute cap hell. In isolated situations it does make sense to do...to put it in perspective though as of right now the Fins are middle of the road in Dead Cap money - $22M - 16th in the league - that said there are a couple of deals they've done that I worry about as well for sure!!!

So thinking that accumulating dead cap money and using void years is a positive means you know how the cap works, got it genius.

Maybe later you can tell me how to pay all my bills will credit cards.
You should look into using your credit cards for your bills, the points are incredible.

While I get the notion of how this all works being counter intuitive to normal business practices, I'm continually amazed at the lack of recognition that the NFL is not a traditional business. Using the same basic principles of how you would handle your personal check book or a risk adverse with your money is not typical or even common in the NFL.

Teams write contracts with players knowing they will likely change multiple times over the life of those contracts and giving themselves the most flexibility possible. Teams take risks on players all the time and cut players because the dead money is a better option for them than keeping them. That might not be the way you would do things.....but you don't run a NFL team. If you did, you would also be playing this game to keep the teams stocked with talent and rearranging the pieces each year to try to maximize talent vs. salary. NFL teams also have capologists that do nothing but manage this process to maximize its benefits. I wouldn't assume for an instant that they don't know what they are doing.

3 weeks ago, 90% of us on this site thought we wouldn't be making any moves in this Free Agency....yet here we are. The system has been worked and we are fielding what looks to be a pretty competitive team in 2024. We also have $40M in cap space available next year and more can be made available as needed.

As for being a "smart thing to do".......the average NFL team is now worth $5.1 Billion dollars and grew 14% last year. I don't think I would be offering them any business advice as they seem to be doing just fine
But, but, but - Back in the late 90’s I used to run a Jiffy-Lube out on Highway 6 and I know how the business world really works …

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But youre ignoring the fact that we’ve pulled very little from the last two drafts, while contending teams like the Eagles and Niners (who have each been to multiple Super Bowls in the last 8 years) have stacked rosters (SF) or have supplemented their future spending with a lot of recent draft picks (PHL).

We haven’t. We’ve just managed to go all-in for a second time. So if you’re going to be a team using void years and dead cap money, you need to have something to show for it. All we have is similar to those teams is heavy debt in 2027.

We’re more like the Saints than the Niners or Eagles.

So to say using future cap money to contend for a wild card position is normal, is absolutely foolish.

And with Tua, Waddle, Philkips and Holland coming up for new contracts soon, all we can do is further compound the problem or continue to see players we’ve drafted, leave.

FOOLISH business practice.

We’re on the verge of being in a 3 year draft drought where we have the fewest picks draft assets in that time frame of any team in league history and we’re operating like a team that missed the Super Bowl by a couple points and not a team that was just lucky to be in the post season to begin with.

The Eagles have quite a few players they expect to be around in 2027, who can we say we expect to still have in 2027, as do the Chiefs.
Those last two drafts also followed 3 years where we pulled far more than most from the draft. Obviously it would be great to have 20 draft picks every year, but that's not going to happen. It's always going to fluctuate. Next year we'll probably have an above average number of picks. The important thing is to not over-dramatize the down years and lose sight of the longer picture. And if in those down years you can do a good job of pulling in some cheap FAs and UDFAs (guys like Mostert, Nedham, Kohou), then they basically act draft picks.

Back
Top Bottom