PFF's Top 10 Interior Defenders | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFF's Top 10 Interior Defenders

Watt is definitely an interior linemen. Unless you lineup "outside" of the tackle, you are playing in the "interior" by definition.

Watt is definitely an interior linemen. Unless you lineup "outside" of the tackle, you are playing in the "interior" by definition.

You're right. Although this may have not been directed at me, it certainly could have been. I wasn't thinking logically in terms of a 3-4.

jj-watt-blowing-up-washington-line-b.gif

iIw9ZNhotmDQc.gif

I guess thats what 65 flips of a 1000 lb tire can do for you...the guys on an entirely nother level...

Hey he's outstanding no doubt but is not on the inside. Those guys have to eat up blockers and 4 or 5 sacks is great for an interior guy. Suh had 8 1/2 I believe which is really good. Suh goes against center and guard double team. Watt and guys like Wake see a tackle and maybe a RB or TE chipping.

It's like comparing apples and oranges. Two different things.

well, Suh had 8.5 sacks which is great for his position, but what does that make 20.5 sacks for a 3-4 DE? and Watt accomplished that feat twice in three seasons.

Watt is an incredible DE. He is a great pass rusher, good against the run and can bat down balls but... I will honestly pick Suh over him. Suh is incredible for his size.

uh alex,what are things that would only be said on a dolphin website.

I was going to ask why you down voted my post, stating that Watt was a once in a generation defensive talent - but this contribution pretty much clarifies what I needed to know. Thanks.

BTW, it's Lee Roy Selmon.

Lee Roy Selmon was a monster. But I've never seen anyone like Watt.

PFF is such a joke and I can't stand it - mainly because of many of the the people who use it.

It is a useful resource, it can help you understand a game from a certain point of view, but I despair at the oddballs who form opinions based almost exclusively based upon their spreadsheets rather than what they actually see in games

Agreed. Watt is a a Deion Sanders, Lawrence Taylor level defender. A guy that breaks the mold and makes an impact in a way that redefines the position. GM's will be searching for guys like Watt for the next 20 years. My wife is a Texans fan, so I get the opportunity to watch this guy when the games don't overlap (thank you overpriced Sunday Ticket) and this dude is just on another level. The term "impose his will" applies directly to him. He literally does what he wants, when he wants, how he wants and there's nothing any defense can do to stop him. I realize this has become a Watt lovefest thread, but if not for uninformed dolphins fans claiming Suh is a better lineman he probably wouldn't be highlighting the discussion.

Watt didn't change the mold for defensive linemen because nobody is going to be able to repeat what he does. There will be no copycats because he spilled out of the genetic soup with more defensive football ability in his genes than anybody will likely see in the next 20 years. With that said, the problem with any stat-based comparison is whether the players have the same opportunity to rack up equal stats. Suh plays a different gap and teams can avoid playing toward him easier. Watt has good outside linebackers sealing one edge and teams have to pick their poison when they play Houston. His passes defensed numbers are ridiculous; dude is a DL/LB/DB and he literally dominates an entire side of the field from the defensive line and that's unheard of.

Respect.

To help to better understand these rankings, they label DT's. NT's, and 3-4 DE's as interior defenders. They label 4-3 DE's and 3-4 OLB's as edge defenders, and have a separate ranking for other LB's. This is based on two years of what they have seen.

PFF is such a joke and I can't stand it - mainly because of many of the the people who use it.

It is a useful resource, it can help you understand a game from a certain point of view, but I despair at the oddballs who form opinions based almost exclusively based upon their spreadsheets rather than what they actually see in games

So, you're saying that PFF is a joke and you can't stand it because of people that use it? That's kinda silly, like saying you hate a message because of the messenger. :)

I have to think that you do not even know what PFF does. Their grades are based strictly on watching film to an extreme, not spreadsheets.

So, you're saying that PFF is a joke and you can't stand it because of people that use it? That's kinda silly, like saying you hate a message because of the messenger. :)

I have to think that you do not even know what PFF does. Their grades are based strictly on watching film to an extreme, not spreadsheets.

i think most people on this board know what pff does and how they do it but the conflict is do you agree with their opinions and yes in the end pff is relying on alot of opinions

Back
Top Bottom