PFW: Dolphins should have axed Wannstedt | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFW: Dolphins should have axed Wannstedt

PatsWin2002

Bringin' it!
Reaction score
http://profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/Miami/Features/2003/fedotin123003.htm

What are they thinking?
Dolphins should have axed Wannstedt

Let’s not forget how Wannstedt got the job. Jimmy Johnson, an excellent head coach and talent evaluator, purged an aging roster and replaced it with young stars like DE Jason Taylor, CB Patrick Surtain and LB Zach Thomas but started to burn out and declared his intentions to quit. Huizenga begged him to stay, telling him he would do anything to keep him with the Dolphins. Johnson agreed to stay under the condition that Huizenga bring in Wannstedt as an assistant head coach and eventual successor to lighten his load. In other words, Wannstedt did nothing to deserve the job and merely served as a pawn to lure Johnson to stay.

It's sad how accurate this article is. About the only thing I disagree with is the "absolute ineptitude" comment. I wouldn't call a 41-23 record absolute ineptitude. But with the talent he's had the last two years, 9-7 and 10-6 with no play-offs certainly isn't good enough.

Well reasoned conclusion from the article, wouldn't you agree? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Agua
Well reasoned conclusion from the article, wouldn't you agree? :rollseyes:
the only thing wanny is guilty of is being too easy on the players and not over ruling the plays called on both sides of the ball. let him know about it and lets get on with 2004 in 9 months!:rolleyes:

One thing you can say about Wannstedt, even from his days with the Bears, is that his players never quit on him. To me that says that he's doing something right and the possibility if everything coming together for success is always a possibility.

when you call a 41-23 record "absolute ineptitude" you make yourself to be a MORON.

That writer is an idiot.

Originally posted by Section126
when you call a 41-23 record "absolute ineptitude" you make yourself to be a MORON.

That writer is an idiot.

41 wins isn't good enough. Any coach (except Steve Spurrier) could have had the same record with all of this talent.

Naw, it's seems like a bias attitude. So much talent and the only examples are on the defense. Only one probowler on that offense, IMO and thats Ricky. Ricky and that talented defense carried the team to 10-6 record this year...

In 2001 our Offense ranking in points scoring was # 8 and our D ranking in poinst allowed was # 11. We made it to the playoffs with a 11-5 record.

In 2003 our Offense ranking in points scoring is # 17 and our D ranking in points allowed is # 3. Great D no playoffs.

The defense is carrying 2/3 of the team's salary and it looks like they did a very decent job of it this year like last. They did falter at times but against our division rivals they pretty much showed up.

In my conclusion we need to infuse the offense with talent, people we need to score points...

Isn't the offense used for that purpose?

GOOO FIIINZ

:cooldude:

People keep missing the point. It isn't whether or not Wanny has a good record...the question is WHAT DO YOU WANT OUT OF OUR FRANCHISE?
If the answer is perpetual mediocrity, to be good but never great, then keep Wanny and Fiedler.
If you want a Superbowl, the Fins need to get rid of those two, get rid of the dead weight on defense, bring in some good WRs and a good QB and break out of the trap we're in.

*Mental note to self*

PFW writers are sitting on the curb for good stories.

just so you know, if anyone on this board had inherited the team wanny did, we would all have damn near 50 wins

This really hit home for me.

The NFL has become a coach’s league. In two years, John Fox turned a 1-15 Carolina team into an 11-5 team that won the NFC South. In just one year, Bill Parcells brought a no-nonsense approach and almost reversed the Cowboys’ record from 5-11 to a playoff-bound 10-6. Dick Vermeil took over a 7-9 Chiefs team and made them into a 13-3 offensive juggernaut in his third year. Marvin Lewis re-invigorated a moribund Bengals franchise that had suffered through six consecutive losing seasons, giving them hope for the future with an 8-8 record.

The best example involves Bill Belichick. He guides the NFL’s best team and has the Patriots on track to win their second Super Bowl in three years. On paper, they lack superstars, but Belichick has them playing as a team. Despite a string of injuries that forced him to start more than 40 different lineups, he kept plugging holes and changing defensive schemes from a 3-4 to a 4-3 to fit his few healthy bodies.

How many coaches out there could have taken this team to one if not 2 Superbowls. I think the Dolphins are just settling. They like Wannstedt...so what? Do the Cowboys players like Parcells? NO WAY!! But they are in the playoffs with far less talent than we have.

Originally posted by Unconquered

How many coaches out there could have taken this team to one if not 2 Superbowls. I think the Dolphins are just settling. They like Wannstedt...so what? Do the Cowboys players like Parcells? NO WAY!! But they are in the playoffs with far less talent than we have.

That's a glass half full/half empty debate.

You could look at it from the bottom side and think....

How many coaches did they have to go through to find one that would make the team win. I think it's obvious that the teams mentioned had more talent than what the previous coach got from them.

If ya kick Dave to the curb, whose to say you won't end up with an inferior candidate that will display for you that this team wasn't all that talented in the first place?

I mean what are we working with here in this lineup? Name recognition? The Raiders beat us in that category.

Talent? Weak QB and ragged OL with only 1 good receiver? Sure TE and RB are good but Ricky can't run through walls carrying the ball 400 times. So, with all this talent we were made to look so inept multiple times? All this talent and our offense is ranked like 26th? All that talent on defense and they can't keep the Eagles from scoring 30+ points, or even the Bills from making it close last week or keeping the Texans from scoring 20+?

We have SOME talent, but not nearly enough on offense to really do anything more then what Dave has allowed the to do. He's made mistakes, sucks with personnel but has at least had us in it during all his years we just fell short. A few new coaches and a GM should get us the pieces to get there.

Back
Top Bottom