Phil Jackson To Decide Soon On LA | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phil Jackson To Decide Soon On LA

I hope he doesnt come back. He cant win in LA now anyway, and I dont want Laker fans to be happy about anything :)

It's gonna take more than Phil Jackson to bring that franchise back to where they were a year ago. LAL is gonna have a hell of a hard time finding a solid big man.

Kobe, Odom, & CB1 just isn't enough to get your more than a 7th or 8th seed & a first round exit.

Phil Jackson's success is due to:

1. Michael Jordan
2. Shaq
3. Kobe

Lets see how great a coach Phil is when he doesn't have any players....I gaurantee you he will be an "average" coach in LA if he returns. I think the
Lakers are doomed for many years....no big man, and a very selfish Kobe.
Get your Clippers tickets LA fans. :lol:

I'm not going to make predictions or bash the Lakers, but there is one thing I'm curious to see IF Jackson decides to come back...

He's always had 2 excellent players who complimented each other on the court (Jordan/Pippen & Shaq/Kobe). He doesn't have that anymore, who's going to pick up the slack when Kobe struggles? As much as I like Odom, is he really enough of an offesive threat to pick it up when Kobe's injured or struggling? It's not going to be easy for Phil this time that's for sure.

Of course he could screw both Laker and Heat fans by joining the Knicks...but let's hope it doesn't come to that :tongue:

Noodle Arm said:
I'm not going to make predictions or bash the Lakers, but there is one thing I'm curious to see IF Jackson decides to come back...

He's always had 2 excellent players who complimented each other on the court (Jordan/Pippen & Shaq/Kobe). He doesn't have that anymore, who's going to pick up the slack when Kobe struggles? As much as I like Odom, is he really enough of an offesive threat to pick it up when Kobe's injured or struggling? It's not going to be easy for Phil this time that's for sure.

Of course he could screw both Laker and Heat fans by joining the Knicks...but let's hope it doesn't come to that :tongue:

I can't see Phil coaching the Knicks even though he won an NBA title in New York as a player in the early 1970's......Isiah and Phil just won't be able to get along.....both have huge ego's. I could see Phil coaching in Cleveland or Minny before coaching in NY.

As a Laker fan, I am hoping he comes back. I think the Laker haters here are hoping he fails more than they really think he iwll. Lamar Odom and Kobe playing in their proper positions ( SG, SF respectively ) will cause nightmares and mismatch problems. Caron will most likely be traded for with some contracts to either move up in the draft or net us a PG, or PF. The draft is chalk full of PF prospects as well as some nice PG's early. Phil ocming back will determine which way we go though.

If Phil comes back, we will probably go with a big guard and draft a PF. If someone else is the coach, you will most likely see a traditional guard selected in the draft and target a PF through trade or MLE.

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
If it ever came down to Isiah or Phil Jackson I will personally help Isiah pack. Come home Phil!

You should do that anyway. I didn't think it was possible for Scott Layden's successor to screw up as badly as he did, but here we are. Isiah is my favorite NBA player of all time, but he's a TERRIBLE GM. I give thanks every day that Bill Davidson handed control of the Pistons to Joe Dumars instead of Isiah. He's made panic move after panic move, and has managed to stockpile an army of undersized power forwards big enough to overthrow a small Central American government.

I think Jax is coming back, and it's an excellent move for the Lakers if he does. To attribute all his success to Jordan, Pippen, Shaq and Kobe is shortsighted. Plenty of teams have had an abundance of talent, but never won the title. Jackson has NINE. For my money, he's arguably the best coach in NBA history.

You can make the "but he had all these great players" about nearly any coach who's ever won an NBA title. Pat Riley had Magic, Kareem and Worthy, possibly the three best guys in the NBA at their positions in their primes. Red Auerbach had Bill Russell, Sam Jones, John Havilcek, Bob Cousy, etc. Chuck Daly had one of the best 9 man rotations in NBA history.

Samphin said:
As a Laker fan, I am hoping he comes back. I think the Laker haters here are hoping he fails more than they really think he iwll. Lamar Odom and Kobe playing in their proper positions ( SG, SF respectively ) will cause nightmares and mismatch problems. Caron will most likely be traded for with some contracts to either move up in the draft or net us a PG, or PF. The draft is chalk full of PF prospects as well as some nice PG's early. Phil ocming back will determine which way we go though.

If Phil comes back, we will probably go with a big guard and draft a PF. If someone else is the coach, you will most likely see a traditional guard selected in the draft and target a PF through trade or MLE.

The only way that team gets out of the lottery is if they dump Odom. Caron would be a much better option at SF...he can actually shoot the ball. Give Kobe a defensive presence in the middle and a good handler at point and he can win.

Ferretsquig said:
The only way that team gets out of the lottery is if they dump Odom. Caron would be a much better option at SF...he can actually shoot the ball. Give Kobe a defensive presence in the middle and a good handler at point and he can win.

Caron can only shoot if he is the first option on the team. He did well in Miami his first year but once Wade and Odom became the first options, he slunk into the backburner. That wa spart of the reason he was traded. Plus, Butler is an expiring contract, meaning after this next year, he will be a free agent. Having a talented guy with an expiring ocntract is a nice commodity to have come trade time. I don't expect Caron to suit up for the Lakers at all next year, or if he does, he won't make it past the trade deadline.

Odom, on the other hand has a decent mid range jumper and when he plays the 3, has a distinct size and quickness advantage. He will be able to go around or shoot over most 3's in the league. Odom only moves if a superstar player AND high draft pick comes back in his place.

Samphin said:
Odom, on the other hand has a decent mid range jumper and when he plays the 3, has a distinct size and quickness advantage. He will be able to go around or shoot over most 3's in the league. Odom only moves if a superstar player AND high draft pick comes back in his place.

You've got a higher opinion of Odom than anyone else in the league, then. A year playing with Kid Kobe has damaged his stock. Right now, I doubt the Lakers could trade him for a top 20 player, let alone a superstar AND a high draft pick.

Samphin said:
Caron can only shoot if he is the first option on the team. He did well in Miami his first year but once Wade and Odom became the first options, he slunk into the backburner. That wa spart of the reason he was traded. Plus, Butler is an expiring contract, meaning after this next year, he will be a free agent. Having a talented guy with an expiring ocntract is a nice commodity to have come trade time. I don't expect Caron to suit up for the Lakers at all next year, or if he does, he won't make it past the trade deadline.

Believe me, no Heat fan wanted to see Caron go. It was far easier to let Odom leave. Butler does not need to be a first option on a team, the reason he stunk it up was because he kept gettin injured.

Expiring contracts are nice if they are worth anything. Caron's is a base rookie contract, which is hard to move unless packaged with another player. The only way hes moved is if someone will take a combo George, Atkins, or Slava along with him.

He has a distinct size OR quickness advantage. Most SF out there are smaller and quicker than him. If he was able to shoot at a decent percentage then he would be a great player....problem is hes just a poor shooter. 30% from 3 and 44% from the floor is just not very good.

Back
Top Bottom