Philip Rivers | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philip Rivers

Originally posted by GreenFin
Josh Harris. And I agree. He would be a great pick up. Especially if he can learn behind Mark Brunell. But if the Fins take a WR in the 1st they'll probably pick up an OL in the 3rd. which means Losman, Philips and Harris will all be gone. I don't think they'll pick up a QB in the draft. Maybe an undrafted free agent but Wanny has already said he doesn't believe in drafting for the future. So he won't waste a pick on a QB. He'll probably sign a second rate QB. And I say HE because I think this GM talk is a load of crap. They'll get one but Wanny will still be in control. That's why Wolf said thanks but no thanks.

I would not mind:

1-Carey
1-Evans
3-Harris

But if we revamp the OL in free agency, we can go QB/WR and then maybe S/CB in the 3rd.

Harris will be a good backup, a career backup. He does not have the mental capacity according to some scouts to master a complex offense. I've also seen his accuracy questioned.

Right now he just throws to his first read or runs.

This will not work in the pros. I will admit he looked good in teh second half of his bowl game and that's teh only game I've ever seen of his.

I did hear that Josh Harris is a moron........

The word is that Ben Rougfygwrfggdberger is really football smart.

of the others.....Philip Rivers is adored by teamates and coaches consider him another coach....

watched a lot of college football this year and nobody made me say “how did he do that†more than Phillip Rivers. He reminds me of Brett Favre with Marino’s arm.

LOL, wrong.

Rivers is compared to Marino for his quick release, not his arm strength. Rivers does not have a cannon arm. In fact his arm strength is suspect. I like Rivers a great deal. I'm not worried about his mechanics. My main concern is his footwork.

Thank you. My main concern is his lack of arm strength. Next is him holding the ball back down on the side of his hip just inviting DE's to strip it, that's why he has such a quick release because it's flung from the side.

J.P. Losman is the 3rd ranked QB, not Rivers. FACT.

If Andrew Walter declares then Losman will slide down a spot. Walter is the guy I want & he shoudl be available at #20.

Andrew Walter's had a bad year, but physically he is better than any QB in this draft period. Yup better than Roethlisberger, he has more mobility.

Just needs grooming.

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84

As a matter of fact, he has no arm strength. Someone said he has an arm like Marino? Oh god.

We will have to trade up for Ben Roethlisberger. FACT.

J.P. Losman is the 3rd ranked QB, not Rivers. FACT.

I have watched him plenty and he does have arm strength. He definitely doesn't throw a ball like Marino, but how many do? He delivers the ball quick and hard enough for the way Miami's offense is set up. He definitely delivers the ball as hard, if not harder, than Fiedler.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves hee. Everyone in this board was calling for Klingsbury last yr because of the insane numbers and stats he put up in college.

Bottom line is that it is not stats that prospective QBs are judged on - it is arm strength, mechanics, field vision etc. The college passing game is just too different from the pro passing game to be judged solely on stats (wrs usually have 2 steps on DBs in college - that never happens in pros).

Rivers may be an intriguing prospect but there is no way he goes in round 1. Truth is, this team will have no patience for drafting a QB "project" who needs mechanics fixed, etc. And as for arm strenght, many here kill Fiedler because it is his lack of arm strength that hampers our downfield passing.

We are not getting Manning or Roethsberger. They will both be gone by the time pick 5 comes around. Truth is, our best shot is Losman at 20, or else we not worrying about a QB in the draft.

I'm not reading this entire thread, but some of you are crazy!!

"Reminds me of Favre and Marino" --WHAT?!?!?

"Has the same release as Dan" -- WHAT?!?!?

That's nuts!! I agree the kid has strength, and can throw on the move. But he reminds me of Chris Weinke about as much as anyone. I'd rather have Sage running the show at this point.

Now, I have to agree with the ^ poster... if Walters comes out, this kid would be a good grab. Talk about upside.

Upside is what got Akili Smith drafted third by the Bengals. Upside is what got Ryan Leaf drafted ahead of Peyton Manning. Everyone wants to talk about arm strength, combine numbers and every other number you can record about a player this time of year ... other than can he play the game.

You have to look beyond the combine #s. PR has done it for four years @ NC State. He's taken that program on his back and carried them to a nationally repectable status. He's torched good defenses year in and out. And he is not a system QB like Kingsbury.

It's laughable to me that people talk about these guys with "upside" before they talk about proven winners. Just to note this is not an attack on anyone's opinions on this thread ... this is post-Heisman bitterness probably more than anything. Jason White .. laughable.

Originally posted by mbbransc
I'm not reading this entire thread, but some of you are crazy!!

"Reminds me of Favre and Marino" --WHAT?!?!?

"Has the same release as Dan" -- WHAT?!?!?

That's nuts!! I agree the kid has strength, and can throw on the move. But he reminds me of Chris Weinke about as much as anyone. I'd rather have Sage running the show at this point.

Now, I have to agree with the ^ poster... if Walters comes out, this kid would be a good grab. Talk about upside.

GO SAGE!!!!!

Originally posted by mee
Upside is what got Akili Smith drafted third by the Bengals. Upside is what got Ryan Leaf drafted ahead of Peyton Manning. Everyone wants to talk about arm strength, combine numbers and every other number you can record about a player this time of year ... other than can he play the game.

You have to look beyond the combine #s. PR has done it for four years @ NC State. He's taken that program on his back and carried them to a nationally repectable status. He's torched good defenses year in and out. And he is not a system QB like Kingsbury.

It's laughable to me that people talk about these guys with "upside" before they talk about proven winners. Just to note this is not an attack on anyone's opinions on this thread ... this is post-Heisman bitterness probably more than anything. Jason White .. laughable.

Being a proven winner didn't take Dorsey very far, his lack or arm strength did him in. I do hope he gets a chance to shine in San Fran tho.

Rivers is the guy I want. I've watched every game of his career and he never ceases to amaze me. Yeah, he's got an awkward throwing motion, but so what! He is deadly accurate, makes smart decisions, never got hurt in 4 years of starting, and DOES HAVE ARM STRENGTH. He does remind me of Marino. I've seen all of Marino's games except for his first two years, and all of Philip's games. There are definite similarities. He is a winner and will be one at the next level. I just hope he is wearing a dolphins uniform. Watch him in the senior bowl next weekend. (1St POST!)

To take Philip Rivers in the 1st round, I think someone is going to have to be absolutely convinced that he will be another Bernie Kosar. That's the upside I see in him. I don't see a guy that will be an outstanding, All-Pro QB. I see a guy who has the potential to be a very accurate passer that doesn't throw a lot of interceptions and plays very consistent football.

Of course, at the other end of the spectrum, he could turn out to be a Steve Walsh type.

Back
Top Bottom