Philip Rivers | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philip Rivers

I watched Rivers in 3 or 4 games last year, most notable the double OT loss to the Buckeyes. I was VERY impressed with his ability. Mechanics aint nothing but style. Like Oboy said, if he can throw the ball far and acurate, who cares about his mechanics! For the cost I would rather see him in a Dolphin uniform than Manning.

Originally posted by T-Bone
I do not watch college @ all, but if he is being compared to Marino then he must have a cannon.

From what I heard is Eli Manning is a top draft choice, is this another Griese in the making or does this kid have substance like Payton?

He threw more TDs than Manning, for more yards than Manning, and completed 71% of his passes. Plus, he played in the ACC, not some Division 3 school. His a quick release and throws more of a bullet than a bomb.

I like him.

It is very UNLIKELY that Rivers will go in the first round. It will most likely be in the 3rd round...depending on the senior bowl and personal workouts.

Not playing at a big-time school and against top defenses will hurt his draft status.

At this juncture there are about 5 QB's ranked ahead of Rivers.

Thanks Dreads,

It sounds as if some one is being over looked! And if we can get Ron Wolf on board, he would be the one to access better than anyone the talent of good qb.

Things are looking up!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by justafan
He will be a bill. Donahoe already said the bills will draft our future qb. :D

All the mock drafts or the majority I have read have the Bills taking Kellen Winslow as their Number 1 pick. Who knows what Donahoe is going to do, hell who would have thought that he would take MCGahee (sp).

Umm, Oakland really likes Tuasiscopo (spelling?) he was hurt for some of the season. It is very likely that they would not draft a QB till 3-4th round. Who knows though, maybe they need a young probowl Defensive end like Ogunleye for that pick there.

Originally posted by PhinstiGator

Not playing at a big-time school and against top defenses will hurt his draft status.

N.C. State isn't exactly chopped liver. He destroyed OSU's D and FSU's D, two defenses that reside in the Top 10 in the nation, not to mention the job he put on Notre Dame last year, the same ND D that led the nation in passing defense and interceptions (similar to the way palmer ate them alive, and look what it did for him). He didn't play for OU or USC, but he didn't play for directional state u either.

Just the ACC alone was tough this year ~ FSU, Maryland, Virginia, and even Clemson. Rivers can play. If his squad had a defense, they would be ranked top ten. He lit up most teams that he played against.

For our sake, I hope your right though about his draft status. I would love to steal him.

Originally posted by Phishstix
N.C. State isn't exactly chopped liver. He destroyed OSU's D and FSU's D, two defenses that reside in the Top 10 in the nation, not to mention the job he put on Notre Dame last year, the same ND D that led the nation in passing defense and interceptions (similar to the way palmer ate them alive, and look what it did for him). He didn't play for OU or USC, but he didn't play for directional state u either.

True. But, he also struggled against Maryland and Connecticut.

I expect him to fall in the draft similar to the way Chris Sims did last year... unless he really has an exceptional performance for the scouts.

I really like the guy...but not in the first round.

Rivers is compared to Marino for his quick release, not his arm strength. Rivers does not have a cannon arm. In fact his arm strength is suspect. I like Rivers a great deal. I'm not worried about his mechanics. My main concern is his footwork. Most NFL systems (Norv's) are timing based. The QB must have consistent footwork to be on time with the receivers. This is more important if the QB has suspect arm strength. I assume Rivers will play in the Senior Bowl. If so, he'll be coached by NFL coaches. If he plays well there then I my fears will be put to rest.

After all the crap this week...if Philip Rivers ends up going to Buffalo...I might just eat the barrel of a .357.

Originally posted by rafael
Rivers is compared to Marino for his quick release, not his arm strength. Rivers does not have a cannon arm. In fact his arm strength is suspect. I like Rivers a great deal.

As a matter of fact, he has no arm strength. Someone said he has an arm like Marino? Oh god.

We will have to trade up for Ben Roethlisberger. FACT.

J.P. Losman is the 3rd ranked QB, not Rivers. FACT.

Forget about a QB in the first round. Because of the complexity of the NFL compared to college, rookie QB's have not, and are not likely to, win a Super Bowl. We need the best available OL or WR to help this team win now before the defense starts drawing their social security. Bring in a veteran save the QB selection for next year. Or, take Josh Evans out of Bowling Green and sit him for one to two seasons like the Jets did Pennington. Evans has a rocket for an arm and can move, but he lacks the football maturity that he can gain by playing behind a vetern and learning the NFL game slowly

Josh Harris. And I agree. He would be a great pick up. Especially if he can learn behind Mark Brunell. But if the Fins take a WR in the 1st they'll probably pick up an OL in the 3rd. which means Losman, Philips and Harris will all be gone. I don't think they'll pick up a QB in the draft. Maybe an undrafted free agent but Wanny has already said he doesn't believe in drafting for the future. So he won't waste a pick on a QB. He'll probably sign a second rate QB. And I say HE because I think this GM talk is a load of crap. They'll get one but Wanny will still be in control. That's why Wolf said thanks but no thanks.

Back
Top Bottom