Philosophical Changes I'd Love to See | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philosophical Changes I'd Love to See

Agree. Plus one in the secondary, please.

Miami's lack of physicality shows up at wide receiver, in the secondary, and at linebacker.
This is where coaching needs to be held accountable imo. It's not like these dudes go their whole hs, college and pro career being soft. ****, Campbell knew this. And had our guys doing Oklahoma drill ffs

No worries. That's how I took it. Definitely coaching is a part of it.
SF are there any players you think will be available in the draft (realistically where we pick) who can bring some violence to our team in positions of need?

SF are there any players you think will be available in the draft (realistically where we pick) who can bring some violence to our team in positions of need?
A couple who come to mind....

TJ Tampa, CB (top 50)
Braelen Allen, RB (top 70ish)
Jared Verse, DE/LB (top 15)
Edgerrin Cooper, LB (top 50)
T'Vondre Sweat, DT (top 40)

Receivers who play "above the rim"

Brian Thomas 1st Round
Troy Franklin 1st Round
Xavier Legette late 1st
Keon Coleman 1st Round
Adonia Mitchell 2nd Round
Johnny Wilson 2nd/3rd Round

Honestly, if Miami can improve the offensive line fairly dramatically that could solve most of the problems on this team.

Yes, there is a chance that Tua (and the entire offense) would perform better behind a good o-line. However, when was the last time that Miami had a highly ranked physically dominating o-line? Ever since Philbin, Miami's o-lines have been a little below average at best, to historically bad at worst. And, that historically bad o-line of 2021 was the result of Grier having ten 1st and 2nd Rounds picks plus later picks in the 2020 and 2021 drafts, along with a ton of space under the salary cap.

For the 2022 season, Grier signed an injury-prone LT who always misses games, but he didn't bother to make sure that the roster had a competent replacement for when Armstead gets injured. For the 2023 season, they used Guard turned Center Williams at Center again which was okay, but Grier decided that he didn't need a "real" Center on the active roster at all, so when Williams got hurt, Eichenberg, who shouldn't even be on the team, had to play Center. Plus, Grier got extremely lucky that Jackson was decent at RT this past season, as before he either sucked or was hurt.

IOW, for those who think the offense just needs a better o-line, just who is going to build this better line? It's definitely not Grier!

Yes, there is a chance that Tua (and the entire offense) would perform better behind a good o-line. However, when was the last time that Miami had a highly ranked physically dominating o-line? Ever since Philbin, Miami's o-lines have been a little below average at best, to historically bad at worst. And, that historically bad o-line of 2021 was the result of Grier having ten 1st and 2nd Rounds picks plus later picks in the 2020 and 2021 drafts, along with a ton of space under the salary cap.

For the 2022 season, Grier signed an injury-prone LT who always misses games, but he didn't bother to make sure that the roster had a competent replacement for when Armstead gets injured. For the 2023 season, they used Guard turned Center Williams at Center again which was okay, but Grier decided that he didn't need a "real" Center on the active roster at all, so when Williams got hurt, Eichenberg, who shouldn't even be on the team, had to play Center. Plus, Grier got extremely lucky that Jackson was decent at RT this past season, as before he either sucked or was hurt.

IOW, for those who think the offense just needs a better o-line, just who is going to build this better line? It's definitely not Grier!
It's been a problem area for about half my lifetime.

One positive is Barry got a lot out of this unit. The backups were competitive and the team actually had some impressive games running the ball. Pass protection was an issue.

Maybe we finally have a staff that can develop talent.

It would be ridiculous to limit motion. Always look at it from the opponents' perspective. Every one of them would salivate to face a Tua offense that is strictly drop back with no pre snap distraction.

There was too much misplaced euphoria here 6 weeks ago and too much short term despair now. The Dolphins need to utilize their strength, which is spacing created by pre snap confusion and best magnified via aggressive darts over the middle. We threw over the middle too seldom, not too frequently. Somehow those throws turned into 15-20 yards from straight looks, instead of Tua faking and spinning followed by throws of every depth and angle.

Newsflash: When deep balls are hit and miss, that is euphoria. You are stealing from the norm and on the scoreboard. We didn't do it nearly enough, especially in the games against elite opponents. Not everything will work against those guys. When you're a thief steal big. The pro rule on pass interference makes it even more absurd that teams don't throw deep in greater regularity. Defensive backs can't catch. They don't turn around and find the ball. They panic and grab when beaten deep. Take advantage of all of the above. Cris Collinsworth makes some of the best points on network coverage when he emphasizes that all the receiver has to do is stop and guarantee the collision. Forget about catching the ball. Make it easy for the referee.

Otherwise, McDaniel definitely doesn't run the ball often enough in short yardage. And when he does run on those plays it's cutesy garbage. He overthinks the situation. I was impressed when the Lions ran a basic dive play on 4th and goal against Tampa Bay.

Too many coaches including McDaniel won't do that because it can look stupid upon stuffed. They can call one worthless goal line fade after another and nobody says anything when it fails.

Take play calling duties away from the guy who had the #1 ranked offense in the league? Hill, Mostert, Waddle, Achane and the entire offensive line was injured the last month of the season and barely could practice. But yeat, the problem is the coach and let’s trade our or bowl qb

What season were you watching, H or are you just blindly trusting numbers?

I'm one of McDaniel's biggest fans & I won't just admit it, I'll exclaim: MCDANIEL LOST THIS TEAM GAMES.

I'm not going to specify as I- many- have listed the various downfalls of McDaniel. If you didn't see the miscalls during games, your football I.Q. isn't what your ego is convinced it is. If you don't believe the posters, you're ignorant.

The OP has a great idea: let the genius construct the offense but give game-day responsibilities to an official OC.

McDaniel needs to focus on game-management & adjustments.

What season were you watching, H or are you just blindly trusting numbers?

I'm one of McDaniel's biggest fans & I won't just admit it, I'll exclaim: MCDANIEL LOST THIS TEAM GAMES.

I'm not going to specify as I- many- have listed the various downfalls of McDaniel. If you didn't see the miscalls during games, your football I.Q. isn't what your ego is convinced it is. If you don't believe the posters, you're ignorant.

The OP has a great idea: let the genius construct the offense but give game-day responsibilities to an official OC.

McDaniel needs to focus on game-management & adjustments.
I’m not totally against him giving up play calling. I do think you need to factor in injuries as to why this offense fell off the second half of the season. McD is an offensive coach and great play designer. Let him grow as a play caller because his future depends on it. If I’m McD I’m not putting my future in frank smiths hands.

I’m not totally against him giving up play calling. I do think you need to factor in injuries as to why this offense fell off the second half of the season. McD is an offensive coach and great play designer. Let him grow as a play caller because his future depends on it. If I’m McD I’m not putting my future in frank smiths hands.

His O fell off the 2H of every game and more in 4Q than 3rd.

the guy is a top DC in the league. When I said top 5 I may have underestimated him. We all saw what the defense did when we had a full compliment of players (that honestly isn’t even near a top 5-8 team in talent). He’s good. We don’t have the dudes.

Name the difference makers on the defense. TRUE DIFFERENCE MAKERS. Ramsey. Phillips. And maybe Holland. That’s it. Phillips and Holland are realistically just very good players. Not elite. So Ramsey is the elite talent. Yet when we had them all, it was a top ten unit under fangio. Statically top 1 but taking into the opponents lets say top ten.
How funny. You want McDaniel fired because his offense doesn’t produce against “the good teams”, even though they were arguably the best offense in the league, but Fangio’s defense gets lit up every time they play a competent QB and you tell us he’s a top five coordinator 😂

Here are a few..

1. More Man-to-Man Coverage on Defense
Generally, this team won on defense and I'm pretty happy with this group. But the better quarterbacks picked zone apart. I think with Miami's pass rush, going to more man would create turnovers and more negative plays. Switch it up. Ramsey is good in a man system. Find another corner, if necessary, who also excels in man.

2. Focus on Building a Successful Short-yardage Game
A lot of us have been harping on this for years now. Have to be able to run the ball when everyone in the stadium knows it's a run.

Couple of points here. On the push play, Miami needs someone other than Tua, with his injury history. Maybe Skylar Thompson, but it doesn't even have to be a quarterback. It could be Seiler. This play is all about leverage, winning in the trenches, and flat out desire.

Fix the offensive line once and for all and maybe add a power back.

3. McDaniel Should Give Up Play Calling
If the non-competitive playoff loss showed one thing, it's that play calling needs to come off McDaniel's plate. He can still install the offense and be involved, but McDaniel needs help. No way we should be seeing clock management issues when the team should be in the 2-minute drill. Does Miami have a speed up offense?

That's basically it. Obviously, I'm not really going into personnel but do believe the team needs to add physical players.
Here is 1 how about stop throwing the ball 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage on 2nd and 1 and getting into 3rd and 8!

Back
Top Bottom