Philter's Preliminary Mock | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philter's Preliminary Mock

Philter25

MORE COWBELL!!!
Reaction score
Ok guys..... this is very preliminary. I was waiting until after the Senior Bowl to get a good idea on who's stock would jump and who's would fall. I will write up a nice draft article and do my final mock after the combine..... but since I always comment on everyones else's mock and question what the heck they were thinking with that pick, here we go:

1. Houston Texans - Reggie Bush, RB, USC --Best player in the draft. I think Houston keeps Carr and they try to trade Davis

2. New Orleans Saints - Matt Leinart, QB, USC - Better NFL QB than Young

3. Tennessee Titans - Vince Young, QB, Texas - This is such the trendy pick. Truthfully, I dont think Vince Young is going to do well in the NFL unless he seriously works on his mechanics and picks up some arm strength.

4. New York Jets - D'Brickashaw Ferguson - The BEST LOT in the draft. This guy did great in the Senior Bowl and in practices. He was manhandling Kiwanuka. Great feet, great armspan, great speed. The ONLY question I have on this guy might be in run blocking....... I am assuming that the Jets keep Pennington and dont look for a QB. Also is rumored that the Jets might be trying to move out of this spot. If the Jets give up on Pennington, they MIGHT take Cutler. It might seem a little high now for Cutler, but give it a few months and we shall see.

5. Green Bay Packers - A.J. Hawk, OLB, Ohio State - Need to upgrade defense, best LB in the draft. Mario Williams a possibility here.

6. San Francisco 49ers - Mario Williams, DE, NC State- Guy is a freak. If GB doesnt take Hawk, look for SF to jump on Hawk. DeMeco Ryans is a possibility here with SF potentially losing Peterson.

7. Oakland Raiders - DeMeco Ryans, OLB, 'Bama. Mario Williams and Hawk are considerations here if they are still on board.

8. Buffalo Bills - Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon - Obvious pick. Top DT as of now in the draft.

9. Detroit Lions - Winston Justice, OT, USC - I am assuming that they give Harrington another year. If they stick with Harrington, they need protection for him and I have Justice as the top OT as of now. Jay Cutler is a huge possibility here if they get rid of Harrington. Eric Winston and Marcus McNeill are also possibilities here.

10. Arizona Cardinals - LenDale White / DeAngelo Williams - RB. I cant decide which guy goes here. DeAngelo looked great this past weekend but I think LenDale White will end up being the best RB in this draft..... AHEAD of Bush. White has great size and speed and power and I think he can take the abuse a NFL RB would take. His qualities translate best to the NFL.

11. St. Louis Rams - Michael Huff, CB/S, Texas - I think StLouis goes defense. The days of Martz are over and they need to address the numerous holes on their D. Vernon Davis/Leonard Pope are possible picks here for a TE, same with Tamba Hali and Jimmy Williams. All these guys are a toss up. This time around I took Huff.

12. Cleveland Browns - Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College - Crennel is a defensive guy so I have to think he will address the D and look for a DE/OLB prospect. Jimmy Williams and Tamba Hali are possibilities here....

13. Baltimore Ravens - Jimmy Williams, CB, Virginia Tech.... I have read rumors about McAllister wanting out although I dont know how credible they are. Tamba Hali is a possiblity here and maybe maybe DeAngelo Williams / LenDale white. I dont know Jamal Lewis' standing. I think Baltimore gives Boller another year because he had a very good end of last year. They also could use a DT but other than Ngata, anyone else here is a reach.

14. Philadelphia Eagles - Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa - I love this pick. Philly needs a OLB to play next to Trotter. Greenway has great size and speed and I think because of that he would fit very well in Philly's scheme. Tamba Hali is also a possibility here as I see Philly also considering a DE to play opposite of Kearse. Philly's secondary scheme is based on pressure of the QB so I see them taking a OLB or DE, although their biggest hole is WR, I cant see them passing on Hali and Greenway to take an undersized Moss or Holmes.

15. Atlanta Falcons - Tamba Hali, DE, Penn State... after 4 or 5 teams consider him, Atlanta gets him.

16. Miami Dolphins - Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt.... because Im a homer and I see New York, Detriot and Arizona passing on him. He very well could be off the board by 16 and it really depends on Pennington and Harrington.

17. Minnesota Vikings - DeAngelo Williams/ LenDale White, RB... whoever doesnt get picked by Arizona goes here.

18. Dallas Cowboys - Santonio Holmes / Sinorice Moss, WR.... I have them pretty much even. Take your pick.

19. San Diego Chargers - Santonio Holmes / Sinorice Moss, WR.... McCardell is aging. They need a young WR. Whoever Dallas doesnt take, San Diego will.

20. Kansas City Chiefs - Ko Simpson, S.... again KC needs to upgrade its defense and goes secondary.

21. New England Patriots - Ashton Youboty, CB, OSU -- Pats need to address the secondary.

22. Denver Broncos (from Washington) - Derek Hagan/Chad Jackson, WR - Denvers biggest need is at WR IMO. Lelie is a great #2 but Rod Smith is getting up there in age. Did Hagan's stock fall after his shaky Senior Bowl?

23. Carolina Panthers - Vernon Davis / Leonard Pope, TE - Take your pick... I would lean to Davis

24. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Marcus McNeill / Eric Winston, OT - Need a big OT.

25. Cincinnati Bengals - Darnell Bing, S, USC - Defense for Cincy.

26. Chicago Bears - Davis/Pope/Marcedes Lewis, TE, whoever is left over, they snag..... I lean to Pope

27. New York Giants - Broderick Bunkley, DT, FSU. The G-men need help on the Dline in the middle.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars - Antonio Cromartie, CB- Jax needs a WR, Dline help and a CB. Cromartie is the best value here

29. Denver Broncos - Davis/Pope/Lewis. Denver takes whatever TE is left over.... I lean to Lewis

30. Indianapolis Colts - Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota - Edge is a FA and this time I think they let him walk.

31. Seattle Seahawks -Max Jean-Gilles, OG, Georgia - Ugg. I love this pick. This guy is a monster. Great on Run blocking and great on pass blocking. You couldnt ask for more in an OG.... Hutch is the premiere OG in Free Agency and I think he is going to be too expensive for Seattle to keep.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers - Chad Jackson/Derek Hagan, WR, ..... Pitt would take a RB here if one fell. Bettis is retiring and they need a bruiser. If LenDale White falls here, they snag him. I have them taking Jackson because I believe Randle El is a FA and they need a WR next to Ward.

Best Values not taken: Tye Hill, Thomas Howard, Abdul Hodge, Eric Winston, Oren Harris

My fins mock is:
1- Jay Cutler, QB
2- Gabe Watson, DT, Michigan / Bobby Carpenter, OLB, Ohio State / Manny Lawson, DE/OLB NCST
3- Daryn Colledge, OT, Boise State / Manny Lawson, DE/OLB, NCST
4- Daniel Bullocks, S, Nebraska
5- Manny Wright, DT, USC

My suprise pick probably is Colledge in the 3rd. I think this guy looked great in the Senior bowl and might get overlooked due to the extremely deep OT class. He might be the 6th-7th OT taken and is going to provide great value to whoever takes him. I didnt even bother taking a guess at our 7th rounder because its all BPA and theres no way I would be anywhere close. I would like to get Watson in the 2nd. He would be that NT we desperately need in a 3-4. If he isnt there, we need to get a 3-4 OLB. I havent pegged exactly what round I think Manny Lawson will be taken in....

Critique away......

Philter25 said:
My fins mock is:
1- Jay Cutler, QB
2- Gabe Watson, DT, Michigan / Bobby Carpenter, OLB, Ohio State / Manny Lawson, DE/OLB NCST
5- Manny Wright, DT, USC

Wow, what a amazing draft that would be!

Your first round mock looks pretty good too. Only think that stood out to me was Moss, I think he's a 2nd rounder personally.

Nice Philter, it could happen that way.

Somehow I don't think Cutler will fall that far.

I also think Leinart is going to put out the word that he doesn't want to play in New Orleans, and after considering all that, Benson will order the drafting of Young to sell tickets. Leinart will go to Tennessee.

I think Tamba will go before Kiwanuka.

Good job.

BlueFin said:
Nice Philter, it could happen that way.

I also think Leinart is going to put out the word that he doesn't want to play in New Orleans, and after considering all that, Benson will order the drafting of Young to sell tickets. Leinart will go to Tennessee.

I think Tamba will go before Kiwanuka.

Good job.

I think that's exactly what might just happen. As for Cutler Baltimore won't be taking a QB. It's the Lions, Raiders, and Cardinals that mostly worry me.

Philter25 said:
16. Miami Dolphins - Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt.... because Im a homer and I see New York, Detriot and Arizona passing on him. He very well could be off the board by 16 and it really depends on Pennington and Harrington.

OK, "homer", who do you think we'll pick if (most likely) Cutler is off of the board by #16?

SpeedRush99 said:
Wow, what a amazing draft that would be!

Your first round mock looks pretty good too. Only think that stood out to me was Moss, I think he's a 2nd rounder personally.

Yea I was debating him there but I think San Diego really needs a WR. I was going to put McNeill there and have Tampa take Winston as my mock version b.

BlueFin said:
I dont either. But I dont predict trades. I think if the Jets can trade down and they give up on Pennington, they trade down and take Cutler. And im 50/50 on Detroit giving up on Harrington so the homerism in me let him slide to us. :wink:

phinphan11 said:
OK, "homer", who do you think we'll pick if (most likely) Cutler is off of the board by #16?
If Cutler is taken, barring any trades, I would pick him at #9 with Detroit. For simplicty's sake, I would have Justice come straight to us. All the teams above us I think still draft defense with Justice on board.

I would like Huff or Justice if Cutler is taken by Detroit.

If Cutler is taken by Oakland, I see Greenway, Huff, or Jimmy Williams falling to us.

Thats of course predicting with no trades.

5. Green Bay Packers - A.J. Hawk, OLB, Ohio State - Need to upgrade defense, best LB in the draft. Mario Williams a possibility here.

?? Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon - Obvious pick. Top DT as of now in the draft.

Curious Why would the Packers take a LB instead of a DT? DT's are a lot harder to find compared to LB's

one of the biggest homer mocks i've seen in some time. but nice job. derek hagan has no shot at the first round now, though.

NorFlaFin said:

Curious Why would the Packers take a LB instead of a DT? DT's are a lot harder to find compared to LB's
it's about value. and hawk is a much better player than ngata.

Philter25 said:
I see Greenway, Huff, or Jimmy Williams falling to us.

Thats of course predicting with no trades.
this is much more realistic IMO...

bullocks will be gone before the 4th... lawson will be gone before the 3rd and maybe even before our 2nd, and with how gabe did senior bowl week i wouldn't be surprised to see him gone by our pick in the 2nd...

but if our fins mock somehow ended up like that id be one happy mother****er...

NorFlaFin said:

Value.

If anything, I think GB would consider Mario Williams over Ngata.

Juan Cribbs said:
one of the biggest homer mocks i've seen in some time. but nice job. derek hagan has no shot at the first round now, though.

Im not sure how much he will fall after his Senior Bowl. If definately didnt help his stock. If he does fall, which I suggested he MIGHT when I paired him up with Jackson, that would drop him down to Pittsburgh as the last pick in the draft or else an early 2nd rounder.

My only homer pick was Cutler and thats assuming that Oakland makes the rumored trade for Culpepper and Detroit doesnt give up on Harrington. I listed my other scenarios is Cutler is taken before us. Its not entirely homerish to think Cutler might be available if those scenarios pan out.

Realistically, there is probably going to be a 1st round trade this year that no one can predict.... I think some team is going to trade up and take Cutler before 16, but Im not going to even try to guess possible trades.

Philter25 said:
Ok guys..... this is very preliminary. I was waiting until after the Senior Bowl to get a good idea on who's stock would jump and who's would fall. I will write up a nice draft article and do my final mock after the combine..... but since I always comment on everyones else's mock and question what the heck they were thinking with that pick, here we go:

1. Houston Texans - Reggie Bush, RB, USC --Best player in the draft. I think Houston keeps Carr and they try to trade Davis

2. New Orleans Saints - Matt Leinart, QB, USC - Better NFL QB than Young

3. Tennessee Titans - Vince Young, QB, Texas - This is such the trendy pick. Truthfully, I dont think Vince Young is going to do well in the NFL unless he seriously works on his mechanics and picks up some arm strength.

4. New York Jets - D'Brickashaw Ferguson - The BEST LOT in the draft. This guy did great in the Senior Bowl and in practices. He was manhandling Kiwanuka. Great feet, great armspan, great speed. The ONLY question I have on this guy might be in run blocking....... I am assuming that the Jets keep Pennington and dont look for a QB. Also is rumored that the Jets might be trying to move out of this spot. If the Jets give up on Pennington, they MIGHT take Cutler. It might seem a little high now for Cutler, but give it a few months and we shall see.

6. San Francisco 49ers - Mario Williams, DE, NC State- Guy is a freak. If GB doesnt take Hawk, look for SF to jump on Hawk. DeMeco Ryans is a possibility here with SF potentially losing Peterson.

7. Oakland Raiders - DeMeco Ryans, OLB, 'Bama. Mario Williams and Hawk are considerations here if they are still on board.

8. Buffalo Bills - Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon - Obvious pick. Top DT as of now in the draft.

9. Detroit Lions - Winston Justice, OT, USC - I am assuming that they give Harrington another year. If they stick with Harrington, they need protection for him and I have Justice as the top OT as of now. Jay Cutler is a huge possibility here if they get rid of Harrington. Eric Winston and Marcus McNeill are also possibilities here.

10. Arizona Cardinals - LenDale White / DeAngelo Williams - RB. I cant decide which guy goes here. DeAngelo looked great this past weekend but I think LenDale White will end up being the best RB in this draft..... AHEAD of Bush. White has great size and speed and power and I think he can take the abuse a NFL RB would take. His qualities translate best to the NFL.

11. St. Louis Rams - Michael Huff, CB/S, Texas - I think StLouis goes defense. The days of Martz are over and they need to address the numerous holes on their D. Vernon Davis/Leonard Pope are possible picks here for a TE, same with Tamba Hali and Jimmy Williams. All these guys are a toss up. This time around I took Huff.

12. Cleveland Browns - Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College - Crennel is a defensive guy so I have to think he will address the D and look for a DE/OLB prospect. Jimmy Williams and Tamba Hali are possibilities here....

13. Baltimore Ravens - Jimmy Williams, CB, Virginia Tech.... I have read rumors about McAllister wanting out although I dont know how credible they are. Tamba Hali is a possiblity here and maybe maybe DeAngelo Williams / LenDale white. I dont know Jamal Lewis' standing. I think Baltimore gives Boller another year because he had a very good end of last year. They also could use a DT but other than Ngata, anyone else here is a reach.

14. Philadelphia Eagles - Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa - I love this pick. Philly needs a OLB to play next to Trotter. Greenway has great size and speed and I think because of that he would fit very well in Philly's scheme. Tamba Hali is also a possibility here as I see Philly also considering a DE to play opposite of Kearse. Philly's secondary scheme is based on pressure of the QB so I see them taking a OLB or DE, although their biggest hole is WR, I cant see them passing on Hali and Greenway to take an undersized Moss or Holmes.

15. Atlanta Falcons - Tamba Hali, DE, Penn State... after 4 or 5 teams consider him, Atlanta gets him.

17. Minnesota Vikings - DeAngelo Williams/ LenDale White, RB... whoever doesnt get picked by Arizona goes here.

18. Dallas Cowboys - Santonio Holmes / Sinorice Moss, WR.... I have them pretty much even. Take your pick.

19. San Diego Chargers - Santonio Holmes / Sinorice Moss, WR.... McCardell is aging. They need a young WR. Whoever Dallas doesnt take, San Diego will.

20. Kansas City Chiefs - Ko Simpson, S.... again KC needs to upgrade its defense and goes secondary.

21. New England Patriots - Ashton Youboty, CB, OSU -- Pats need to address the secondary.

22. Denver Broncos (from Washington) - Derek Hagan/Chad Jackson, WR - Denvers biggest need is at WR IMO. Lelie is a great #2 but Rod Smith is getting up there in age. Did Hagan's stock fall after his shaky Senior Bowl?

23. Carolina Panthers - Vernon Davis / Leonard Pope, TE - Take your pick... I would lean to Davis

24. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Marcus McNeill / Eric Winston, OT - Need a big OT.

25. Cincinnati Bengals - Darnell Bing, S, USC - Defense for Cincy.

26. Chicago Bears - Davis/Pope/Marcedes Lewis, TE, whoever is left over, they snag..... I lean to Pope

27. New York Giants - Broderick Bunkley, DT, FSU. The G-men need help on the Dline in the middle.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars - Antonio Cromartie, CB- Jax needs a WR, Dline help and a CB. Cromartie is the best value here

29. Denver Broncos - Davis/Pope/Lewis. Denver takes whatever TE is left over.... I lean to Lewis

30. Indianapolis Colts - Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota - Edge is a FA and this time I think they let him walk.

31. Seattle Seahawks -Max Jean-Gilles, OG, Georgia - Ugg. I love this pick. This guy is a monster. Great on Run blocking and great on pass blocking. You couldnt ask for more in an OG.... Hutch is the premiere OG in Free Agency and I think he is going to be too expensive for Seattle to keep.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers - Chad Jackson/Derek Hagan, WR, ..... Pitt would take a RB here if one fell. Bettis is retiring and they need a bruiser. If LenDale White falls here, they snag him. I have them taking Jackson because I believe Randle El is a FA and they need a WR next to Ward.

Best Values not taken: Tye Hill, Thomas Howard, Abdul Hodge, Eric Winston, Oren Harris

My fins mock is:
1- Jay Cutler, QB
5- Manny Wright, DT, USC

My suprise pick probably is Colledge in the 3rd. I think this guy looked great in the Senior bowl and might get overlooked due to the extremely deep OT class. He might be the 6th-7th OT taken and is going to provide great value to whoever takes him. I didnt even bother taking a guess at our 7th rounder because its all BPA and theres no way I would be anywhere close. I would like to get Watson in the 2nd. He would be that NT we desperately need in a 3-4. If he isnt there, we need to get a 3-4 OLB. I havent pegged exactly what round I think Manny Lawson will be taken in....

Critique away......
Well, of course I love your fins mock but I think is wishfull thinking.Cutler'll be gone regarless of the seniorbowl.Watson in the 2nd?....is posible but I doubt it.Lawson after the week he had at Mobile is going late first to early 2nd.Carpenter could be there in the 2nd tho after he got hurt at the end of his season.Colledge can be there in the 3rd for the reason you stated...is a deep OT class.Bullocks would be great in the 4th but he looks like a first day pick but is posible.

Ozzy rules!! :rockon: :guitar:

Back
Top Bottom