Phins Big Ugly Grades From PFF | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phins Big Ugly Grades From PFF

Collectively I thought the pass protection was terrible, worst game of the year for that category. Lots of factors: Albert gone, shuffled line, Thomas (ugh), and the Bills front 4 (great). Fortunately, lazor obviously prepared with a plan that worked and Tannehill executed.

James- overall -4.3, pass -2.4, run -2.2. Gave up 0 sacks, 1 hit, and 4 hurries.

Shelly- overall +1.2, pass +1.7, run -0.7. Gave up 0- 0- 0.

Satele- overall -2.1, pass -1.0, run -0.2. Gave up 1- 0- 1.

Pouncey- overall -4.3, pass -3.8, run -0.7. Gave up 0- 0- 4.

Thomas- overall -5.3, pass -4.4, run -.2. Gave up 2- 1- 3.

Not good grades individually but, as a unit they did enough vs a VG D to allow for a decent run game, and gave RT enough time, with Lazor's scheme this game, to come out with a win.
I think these numbers are basically accurate. The line struggled in pass pro, but held their own on running plays against a very strong front four. What I'm not sure I agree with is PFF's grading of Tannehill at -2.6. Considering what he was up against, he played a pretty solid game apart from a handful of mistakes. -2.6 seems pretty harsh to me (mind you, they have Orton at -5.6, which also seems harsh, again considering the pressure he was under).

Collectively I thought the pass protection was terrible, worst game of the year for that category. Lots of factors: Albert gone, shuffled line, Thomas (ugh), and the Bills front 4 (great). Fortunately, lazor obviously prepared with a plan that worked and Tannehill executed.

True. Most of RT's passes were within 10 yards, and for this game he was managing the game, and completing those throws. IF Lazor would have done something different with our pass protect this game, RT would have gotten KILLED, and likely out vs Denver.

I think these numbers are basically accurate. The line struggled in pass pro, but held their own on running plays against a very strong front four. What I'm not sure I agree with is PFF's grading of Tannehill at -2.6. Considering what he was up against, he played a pretty solid game apart from a handful of mistakes. -2.6 seems pretty harsh to me (mind you, they have Orton at -5.6, which also seems harsh, again considering the pressure he was under).

Agree on being somewhat harsh but, all NFL QB's are supposed to complete passes of 10 yards or less. Not a knock on RT, just the nature of this game.

Yes, they did grade the OL on Miller's 15 carries, his 33 yard run, and the other 14 where he averaged 4 yards. They also graded the OL on all of their 69 snaps, not just the one's you would like to see.

This included giving up 4 sacks, 2 hits, and 13 hurries from the OL, which is not very good. Gotta look at the big picture on overall individual grades.

I was referring to the "run" grade, not the pass. I don't think our O line did very well in terms of pass protection.

It is though, funny you should say that, because I think when you pick apart each individual offensive lineman's game and grade them, you inhibit yourself from getting a good look at the "big picture". What they're doing is actually the opposite, they're looking at the micro details of each play and making their judgement based on an accumulation of little details. If YOU (or PFF) were to look at the big picture, then I think it would be a pretty solid consensus we were good at run blocking, and below average in pass protection. Against that defensive front, that would be, in my humble opinion, a good performance. The individual grades actually say the opposite. So, before you advise me to look at the "big picture" I would take a step back and acknowledge that the site you frequently quote actually does the opposite.

Well the great news is the good defenses are done. Buffalo twice and detriot are done with. The only good defense left is Baltimore. I don't think they are all that anymore

I was referring to the "run" grade, not the pass. I don't think our O line did very well in terms of pass protection.

It is though, funny you should say that, because I think when you pick apart each individual offensive lineman's game and grade them, you inhibit yourself from getting a good look at the "big picture". What they're doing is actually the opposite, they're looking at the micro details of each play and making their judgement based on an accumulation of little details. If YOU (or PFF) were to look at the big picture, then I think it would be a pretty solid consensus we were good at run blocking, and below average in pass protection. Against that defensive front, that would be, in my humble opinion, a good performance. The individual grades actually say the opposite. So, before you advise me to look at the "big picture" I would take a step back and acknowledge that the site you frequently quote actually does the opposite.

I do agree with you, and said in the OP that PFF was on individuals but IMO, the ir play as a unit allowed for a decent run game. I do quote the site frequently, as it is something different, not the whole picture but, a different part of it which I enjoy discussing.

As to the run, we ran 26 times with 24 counting for 125 yards, a 5.2 average. RT ran 4 times for 16 yards on a scramble, kneel down, and the other 2 did not matter. Let's take that out as no effect. We had 45 yards after contact, which is on the RB's. That would leave us with 20 carries for 64 yards, and a 3.2 average, which is decent vs a VG D.

However, the OL is graded for how they blocked, not how many yards we ran for. Our interior 3 had grades a bit below average, and Our OT as having bad games. From what I saw, that was fair.

I do agree with you, and said in the OP that PFF was on individuals but IMO, the ir play as a unit allowed for a decent run game. I do quote the site frequently, as it is something different, not the whole picture but, a different part of it which I enjoy discussing.

As to the run, we ran 26 times with 24 counting for 125 yards, a 5.2 average. RT ran 4 times for 16 yards on a scramble, kneel down, and the other 2 did not matter. Let's take that out as no effect. We had 45 yards after contact, which is on the RB's. That would leave us with 20 carries for 64 yards, and a 3.2 average, which is decent vs a VG D.

However, the OL is graded for how they blocked, not how many yards we ran for. Our interior 3 had grades a bit below average, and Our OT as having bad games. From what I saw, that was fair.

I guess I just see the bigger picture! Haha but we can't just remove yards after contact, there are times the running back is in a better position To break the tackle because the lineman has already effected the play, by pushing off the defender or creating a wide enough lane that allows our back to gain more speed.

However I do like you posting PFF here and like to see how they grade our skill positions.

I guess I just see the bigger picture! Haha but we can't just remove yards after contact, there are times the running back is in a better position To break the tackle because the lineman has already effected the play, by pushing off the defender or creating a wide enough lane that allows our back to gain more speed.

However I do like you posting PFF here and like to see how they grade our skill positions.

I guess, lol. Again I agree overall on the YAC's but did not see it this game on first view. On Miller's 28 YAC, he made a VG move on the defender in front of him with a few Buff defenders chasing from the inside out. There were no blockers in the picture. I'll let ya know more after re-watching.

Many don't seem to get what PFF does in grading individual play on every snap, as it includes all plays of winning or losing individual battles and not just the ones that count for the team in the game.

PFF is a good source, but the one thing I hate about play to play grades is no one knows the assignment. They just wing it and guess on plays alot.

PFF is a good source, but the one thing I hate about play to play grades is no one knows the assignment. They just wing it and guess on plays alot.

Yeah but until we get the team's grades, maybe in 20 years, no one is going to know that. They just go by their eyeball test of who beats who, which I'm good with for not having a better option.

Yeah but until we get the team's grades, maybe in 20 years, no one is going to know that. They just go by their eyeball test of who beats who, which I'm good with for not having a better option.

You could use your own eyes?

I'd rather do that. I understand your point, but I've played the game and can understand certain responsibilities and assignments.

PFF is a joke, they are only good for snap counts, these grades suck bigtime, 5.2 avg per rush with 125 for the game against the bills and to top that our QB had a rating of 114

Back
Top Bottom