Phins interested in Welbourn ? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phins interested in Welbourn ?

well i really had no clue that welbourn is that good, to command a $10 million bonus, so if thats the case, we are out of it

Welbourn's request, which the Eagles received April 5, was almost identical to the deal free-agent guard Damien Woody signed with Detroit this offseason.

"I think most people around the league would say that John is better than Woody," Cunningham said. "He's at least as good. Woody is going to make $11 million this year. John is going to make one million."

Great player (apparently...they've got a great line). But man that's a lot of money for a guard.

Then again, he's barely going to make $1 million the next 5 seasons. So I can see his point for wanting a new contract.

I don't see us getting him. They'll draft a young guy somewhere and/or let Whitley compete. Can't buy everyone.

We're stocking up on Philly and Carolina players... we're not trying to make a run at the NFC Championship game, are we? :lol:

If they offer us Welbourn and their first for our first I take the deal in a minute! We can re-structure the deal the way we did with RW and both keep the integrity of the contract and the player happy. Having the agent overseas at this time of year does seem odd though?

I agree with you Ohiophin. In Welbourn you get a proven stud on the line who can instantly play. Even the most highly regarded draft pick can flop.

If you make the trade and get their number 1, then you still have a shot at another talented player.

I think he would sign for less then the request. He just wants more than his current salary.

Very slick move if Speilman can pull it off.

It said he was a left guard in the article. If the Dolphins were to swing a move to get him, either he or James would obviously have to move to right guard.....

miami may have to give up a later round pick to complete this deal ... getting welbourne and a swap of 1st rounders seems a bit too little for a starting caliber guard .. but than again anything possible ... it sure would shake up miami's draft plans if this trade is pulled off.. welbourne is solid .. another young player.. seems like rick likes to stock pile them ...

miami may have to give up a later round pick to complete this deal ... getting welbourne and a swap of 1st rounders seems a bit too little for a starting caliber guard ..

Not really. Its the equivalent of a 3rd or 2nd round pick which is a pretty decent price for a good starting guard. I think a lot of people don't realize that starting guards just really aren't worth all that much in terms of signing bonus and draft picks. Damian Woody got the biggest contract ever given to a guard/center and his signing bonus was less than Todd Wade's, and not even close to John Tait's. The year before, Randy Thomas got the biggest contract ever given a guard and his signing bonus was only like $7 million. In general, you just don't give up that much for guards because they come a dime a dozen.

If we did this, I would hope it would be because we can convince Welbourne and his agent to accept a deal that involves a lot of incentives like we did with Ricky. If we did it, then you could say that we have upgraded at 4 out of 5 positions on the offensive line. Unfortunately, thats still not good enough, because you can upgrade the interior but if the tackles aren't sound you go nowhere.

I would trade down like this if Andrews is taken. If not, you take Andrews. You can deal with mince meat at guard. You can't deal with mince meat at tackle.

I say we take Welbourne and a later first round pick,which we can use on a WR.Sure up some holes! Welbourne can play RG.We need to address the holes with some proven talent!

ckparrothead said:
Not really. Its the equivalent of a 3rd or 2nd round pick which is a pretty decent price for a good starting guard. I think a lot of people don't realize that starting guards just really aren't worth all that much in terms of signing bonus and draft picks. Damian Woody got the biggest contract ever given to a guard/center and his signing bonus was less than Todd Wade's, and not even close to John Tait's. The year before, Randy Thomas got the biggest contract ever given a guard and his signing bonus was only like $7 million. In general, you just don't give up that much for guards because they come a dime a dozen.

If we did this, I would hope it would be because we can convince Welbourne and his agent to accept a deal that involves a lot of incentives like we did with Ricky. If we did it, then you could say that we have upgraded at 4 out of 5 positions on the offensive line. Unfortunately, thats still not good enough, because you can upgrade the interior but if the tackles aren't sound you go nowhere.

I would trade down like this if Andrews is taken. If not, you take Andrews. You can deal with mince meat at guard. You can't deal with mince meat at tackle.

CK, while I agree with you, I don't believe the Dolphins are going to settle their RT position in this draft. I think they believe that McIntosh/St CLair + a June 1st cut will solve that for them. I think they are looking at RG almost exclusively (even Andrews projects to be initially a guard for them), with WR and trading down the back up options. This may be smoke from Miami, but this is the way it has looked to me for a while.

Gator

I think I'd take the trade as we'd still be able to take a DT or WR with the 1st round pick and still come up with a new starting guard but we only have 1 more day to make this happen.

Ozzy rules!!

Ideally, if this was on the table, we could wait until we were on the clock to cut a deal. Problem is, though, that the Eagles may be targeting someone for another move up the draft board (i.e. use Welbourne to get from 28 to 20, a package of picks to get from 20 to 16, or whatever). Or, alternately, the guy they want might be gone by the time we're on the clock, so the deal would be off the table. So this might be the kind of thing that we wouldn't be able to wait and see if Andrews was around before pulling the trigger.

Back
Top Bottom