Plan C...? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Plan C...?

Penthos

Am I on speaker phone?
Reaction score
I'm NOT pushing the panic button on the season yet... BUT, I think that if Griese fails miserably (hopefully he won't) tonight and/or next week, then its time to bite the bullet and start planning for next year...

Get Sage in there, get McKinney in there and get Tolver/Simmons more involved as well... The sooner, the better... Give them the chance to work together in real game situations and to grow together and gel... (Also, spell Ricky more with Minor) Maybe after 4 or 5 games they will start to get it going... If we don't make the playoffs then so be it, as long as the offense is playing well at the end of the year.

If the defensive players see REAL progress and improvement instead of "potential" and missed opportunites by the offense towards the end of the year, maybe some that we might lose would stay and restucture knowing that with a good offense and the quality of this defense that this team has a REAL shot of getting Lomabardi Trophy.

There's only 1 way I see Wanny keeping his job after this year if we don't at least get to the AFC championship game....

And thats if the team really starts clicking with the younger offense late in the year. (i.e., wins the last 4-6 games of the year in a row with a much improved offense).

I don't agree. I think good teams never throw in the towel.They continue to look for ways to win this season.

Originally posted by 13isgr81
I'm NOT pushing the panic button on the season yet... BUT, I think that if Griese fails miserably (hopefully he won't) tonight and/or next week, then its time to bite the bullet and start planning for next year...

Sorry, not gonna happen because Wanny KNOWS that anything short of the AFC Championship game means he's out of a job. He will do ANYTHING to keep this job so don't look for any "next year" experimentation. That's one reason JR Tolver hasn't cracked the lineup...Dave is scared spitless of doing anything that might mess things up. If Fiedler hadn't been injured, giving Dave an excuse, you wouldn't even be seeing Griese starting.

Re: Re: Plan C...?

Originally posted by RikWriter

Sorry, not gonna happen because Wanny KNOWS that anything short of the AFC Championship game means he's out of a job. He will do ANYTHING to keep this job so don't look for any "next year" experimentation. That's one reason JR Tolver hasn't cracked the lineup...Dave is scared spitless of doing anything that might mess things up. If Fiedler hadn't been injured, giving Dave an excuse, you wouldn't even be seeing Griese starting.

Perhaps you are correct, but your logic seems to contradict itself. If Dave will do anything to keep his job then he wouldn't be looking for an excuse to pull the trigger would he? He could just say you aren't getting the job done and put in Brian.... Maybe from what Dave's seen, he doesn't think Greise is any better than Jay and is only starting him because Jay is injured.

I am with Scrappy. I say we don't throw in the young guys until the season is really over. By that I mean, only if we are eliminated from the playoffs. Which lets hope this does not happen this year

Re: Re: Re: Plan C...?

Perhaps you are correct, but your logic seems to contradict itself. If Dave will do anything to keep his job then he wouldn't be looking for an excuse to pull the trigger would he? He could just say you aren't getting the job done and put in Brian.... Maybe from what Dave's seen, he doesn't think Greise is any better than Jay and is only starting him because Jay is injured.

I think Dave knows that Fiedler won't be able to get it done this season, but I also think he is worried that benching him for performance would hurt chemistry. The knee injury gave Dave an excuse to see what Griese can do without causing discord.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Plan C...?

Originally posted by RikWriter

I think Dave knows that Fiedler won't be able to get it done this season, but I also think he is worried that benching him for performance would hurt chemistry. The knee injury gave Dave an excuse to see what Griese can do without causing discord.

Gotcha. That makes sense to me now thanks ;)

Get Sage in there, get McKinney in there and get Tolver/Simmons more involved as well... The sooner, the better... Give them the chance to work together in real game situations and to grow together and gel... (Also, spell Ricky more with Minor) Maybe after 4 or 5 games they will start to get it going... If we don't make the playoffs then so be it, as long as the offense is playing well at the end of the year.

If the defensive players see REAL progress and improvement instead of "potential" and missed opportunites by the offense towards the end of the year, maybe some that we might lose would stay and restucture knowing that with a good offense and the quality of this defense that this team has a REAL shot of getting Lomabardi Trophy.

There's only 1 way I see Wanny keeping his job after this year if we don't at least get to the AFC championship game....

And thats if the team really starts clicking with the younger offense late in the year. (i.e., wins the last 4-6 games of the year in a row with a much improved offense).

Indirectly, Griese's start is working on next yr. By that i mean that by his getting a chance to play now, gives us an indicator as far as what to do during the off season now. except Wanny don't know that yet!;) :lol: It's a funny thing how all this is playing out. I'd be willing to bet that if Griese wasn't here, Jay would be starting tonight. i mentioned it in another thread earlier, but my feeling is that wanny is playing this to HIS best advantage in that if it doesn't work out then he has his *** covered already by saying, "Well it is an unfortunate thing to happen, but jay just couldn't go tonight".

imagine if the Ravens would've done what you are saying the Dolphins should do a few years back... in their super bowl season, they went thru that dismal offensive streak where they didnt score an offensive TD for several games. what you suggest is a recipe for defensive players saying "ok, i throw in the towel" and internal chaos among players and coaches due to finger pointing. this is a team that could go the distance on the back of the Defense, and with Ricky Williams pounding away in january, much as the Ravens rode their defense to the title. until they are eliminated from playoff contention to make wholesale changes makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Originally posted by CarolinaFishFan
imagine if the Ravens would've done what you are saying the Dolphins should do a few years back... in their super bowl season, they went thru that dismal offensive streak where they didnt score an offensive TD for several games. what you suggest is a recipe for defensive players saying "ok, i throw in the towel" and internal chaos among players and coaches due to finger pointing. this is a team that could go the distance on the back of the Defense, and with Ricky Williams pounding away in january, much as the Ravens rode their defense to the title. until they are eliminated from playoff contention to make wholesale changes makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Really, even if we are say 4-6? I didn't say do it now... I said after 2 more games, but perhaps you're right... Maybe this just is a "dismal offensive streak" like you say and we will pull out of it... I hope so... I hate the idea of "throwing in the towel", I guess I would try not to look at it like that, but more like "living to fight BETTER another day"...

imagine if the Ravens would've done what you are saying ...........

It is important to also remember that the Ravens made a QB change during the season going from Tony Banks to Trent Dilfer. Say what you want about Dilfer but he could throw the ball deep which is what we need when opposing defenses are crowding 8-9 people so close to Line of Scrimmage.

Hopefully Griese can provide that.

As for throwing the towel after tonight's game, it would be really dumb. The jets were 0-4 and won 9 of their last 12 to win the AFC east championship and one game in the playoffs.

We would be 4-3 with a 2-1 divisonal record.

i think people are becoming irrational. this team is a field goal from being 5-1. you're talking about throwing in the towel if we lose the next two games. and you want to throw in the towel so the defense knows that we're serious about winning. let's just try to go 5-2 tonight and then see what happens.

Originally posted by FinsGoToGuy
As for throwing the towel after tonight's game, it would be really dumb. The jets were 0-4 and won 9 of their last 12 to win the AFC east championship and one game in the playoffs.

We would be 4-3 with a 2-1 divisonal record.

The Jets did it by replacing the OLD QB with a new unproven QB... This is not the case here. We have seen what Jay can and can't do as we have with Brian... In my opinion, which may well be proven wrong, Brian = Jay without the mobility. So they are essentially the same QB.

Plus I didn't say after tonight's game, I said tonight and/or next weeks game.

Back
Top Bottom