Please NFL......Add another team for the playoffs!!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Please NFL......Add another team for the playoffs!!!

Dolphins12thMan

Tailgate Central (E12 Orange Camry Zone)
Reaction score
Not just because I am a Dolphin fan, but because I am a football fan. It just makes more sense to me. Why not?

This years AFC playoff situation with 7 teams:

New England: Bye (Only one team deserves the Bye, the Team that earned it, the best team, not the runner up!)

Round 1
Dolphins at Chiefs
Denver at Colts
Titans at Ravens

Round 2
Dolphins at NE
Titans at Colts

Round 3
Colts at NE AFC Championship

Winner NE

Just a thought, any suggestions why this is not the scenerio?
It would seem the league would make more money, and more TV exposure.
In round 1, you can have three games on Saturday and Sunday
1:00, 4:30, 8:30

Any comments?

Sorry fin fans about the outcome, just trying to be realistic...lol!

makes sense, make another division, then add another playoff team. ur rite about the best team gettin the only bye

OR, allow 8 teams, with NO bye weeks, which I have always thought that Bye weeks in the playoffs are BS anyways. You get homefield, which I think is a good enough incentive as it is. What's the point of giving someone homefield, AND a bye week?? Why not just GIVE them the damn win?? What is the winning percentage of teams with a BYE and HOMEFIELD?? Pretty high I bet.

I like the idea because its more games. And I also like the way that it goes 3games/2games/1game.

However, I don't like the way that the 2nd place team suffers the same fate as the 7th. It really takes the joy out of the regular season, and would add even more 'meaningless' late season games :(

If they are going to expand the playoffs, they should expand to 8 teams a conference and get rid of bye weeks.

I'm no fan of allowing half the teams in the NFL to make the playoffs.

Change it so division winners do not get automatic playoff berths. IMO, only the teams with the best records should get in. From there you seed the teams, no more of this division winners get a higher seed BS either.

With 7 teams per conference, we AND Baltimore, with 10 win records, would both make the playoffs. The above would also prevent a 7-9 or 8-8 division winner from making the playoffs over a 9-7 or 10-6 runner up in another division. The NFL is damn lucky this hasn't happened yet, but already this season we're seeing the current playoff system is flawed.

How about we would not be talking about this If our beloved Dolphins had gotten the job done.

Originally posted by Prime Time
How about we would not be talking about this If our beloved Dolphins had gotten the job done.

It really is something that needs to be talked about and that is regardless if the Fins were in or not this year. I watched the Broncos not make the playoffs with an 11-5 record one year while the Browns made it with an 8-8 record.

Now you can argue if you win your division you don't have to worry about this problem an 11-5 record would win most divisions. So a team is penalized for being in a strong division.

I am not sure what the answer is but I think something has to be done because I have the feeling with parity the way it is it is going to become more common for teams not to make the playoffs with beeter records then teams that do.

For the record I don't believe the Fins deserved to be in the playoffs this year so this has nothing to do with sour grapes.

But just because a team is 9-7 and wins the division, doesn't mean it's a weak division...maybe just the OPPOSITE. Like last year, look at the AFC East. No weak sister, all teams 9-7 and the last place team 8-8, all teams in the running till the end. A team that wins a tough division like that deserves to get into the playoffs.

Originally posted by Bopkin02
But just because a team is 9-7 and wins the division, doesn't mean it's a weak division...maybe just the OPPOSITE. Like last year, look at the AFC East. No weak sister, all teams 9-7 and the last place team 8-8, all teams in the running till the end. A team that wins a tough division like that deserves to get into the playoffs.

Right but the teams only play 6 games within the division now, that is only 12 losses that's 17 other games that were lost outside the division, that means each team had a chance to be better then 9-7 and didn't win the games they needed to, but a team that is 11-5 under no circumstances should not make the playoffs and that has happened.

Originally posted by chambers84
OR, allow 8 teams, with NO bye weeks, which I have always thought that Bye weeks in the playoffs are BS anyways. You get homefield, which I think is a good enough incentive as it is. What's the point of giving someone homefield, AND a bye week?? Why not just GIVE them the damn win?? What is the winning percentage of teams with a BYE and HOMEFIELD?? Pretty high I bet.

I'm pretty sure Tom Jackson said 83% of the time the team w/ the 1st round bye wins in the second round. Pretty amazing. I like the way the playoffs are set up though, the NFL just tries to give the best teams the best chance to win, Which is fair since they earned it all year long. As far as the dolphins not making it at 10-6; they didn't deserve it. They didn't beat anybody worth a damn this year, had they made it they would have gotten beat in the fist round again.

not too many teams in the playoff beat anybody worth a damn this year... the dolphins had a more difficult schedule than any team in the playoffs... reference the chiefs schedule(pathetic)..we get 13 wins with that sched

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Kamikaze
Change it so division winners do not get automatic playoff berths. IMO, only the teams with the best records should get in. From there you seed the teams, no more of this division winners get a higher seed BS either.

WHAT! know way in hell would that work or be fair. You get a team that wins their division at 8-8 or 9-7 and they don't make the playoffs? Then what is the incentive to even play hard to win, or win the division? You would have four teams in that division in week 14 playing for draft position, not playoff position.
If you win your division your in flat out and if a second place team is 10-6 or 11-5 and don't make it in, then too bad, life is tough get over it and see ya next year.

Here's a senerio,
8-7 Miami is playing 11-4 Denver, the Bronco's are playing to clinch the division, but so is Miami, BUT because the Chiefs and Raiders who finish in second and 3rd place have better records they get to go to the playoffs and not division winning Miami.
Question,
What motivation does Miami have to beat Denver? Even if the Fins WIN and win their division they won't make the playoffs. If Miami loses the results are the same. Whoo hoo we are AFC east champs but didn't make the playoffs.!!!

Question
What incentive would the Pats Bills or Jets have in winning? They won't make the playoff either so might as well play for draft position and play to lose.

The way the playoffs are now the Broncos Chiefs Raiders and Dolphins NEED to win, but so do the Pats Bills and Jets, because they're in the running for the division if Miami loses to Denver. And the out come of the that game would determain the outcome of the AFC west and who gets in the playoffs.

If Miami Wins the East and the Raiders are 10- 6 or 11-5 and in 3rd place and miss the playoffs
TOO FU#KING BAD.

Originally posted by PhinPhreak
It really is something that needs to be talked about and that is regardless if the Fins were in or not this year. I watched the Broncos not make the playoffs with an 11-5 record one year while the Browns made it with an 8-8 record.

Yeah i remember that season, there was a lot of talk about it, it seems to me the conclusion was, if Denver wanted in the playoffs they should have won the division. I didn't feel bad for them at all.

Originally posted by Kamikaze
I'm no fan of allowing half the teams in the NFL to make the playoffs.

With 7 teams per conference, we AND Baltimore, with 10 win records, would both make the playoffs. The above would also prevent a 7-9 or 8-8 division winner from making the playoffs over a 9-7 or 10-6 runner up in another division. The NFL is damn lucky this hasn't happened yet, but already this season we're seeing the current playoff system is flawed.

This is what I think they should do.

I disagree. Teams need to earn the right of making the playoffs. Adding more teams would be a money grab and dilution of the product.

Leave the system alone

Back
Top Bottom