Poll: bigger impact: star rb or star wr? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Poll: bigger impact: star rb or star wr?

who can have a bigger impact on a game?

• RB

Votes: 108 92.3%
  • WR

Votes: 9 7.7%

• Total voters
thecoordinator said:
tomilinson 26 carries 82 yards 0 TD vs jets in the playoffs. thats why i think wr is better. what are you going to do when the defense puts 8 and 9 guys in the box? teams double and tripple the moss's and owens and they still get theirs.

Randy Moss: 3 receptions 51 yards 0 TD vs Eagles in the playoffs.

thecoordinator said:
tomilinson 26 carries 82 yards 0 TD vs jets in the playoffs. thats why i think wr is better. what are you going to do when the defense puts 8 and 9 guys in the box? teams double and tripple the moss's and owens and they still get theirs.
If a running back gets 30 touches a game chances are the team wins because their consistent running threat allows for big plays in the passing game and you have controlled the clock. Also receivers are at their most productive when teams lose because they are behind and forced to throw

A running back gets more touches in a game then a wr, so you need someone who can carry the bread. Of couse if you have a crap ol, then you our screwed.

finsnchips said:
If a team puts 8 or 9 in the box then they can't defend the pass.

You started another thread like this earlier. I can only assume that you feel that Braylon would have been the better pick. To an extent I agree, I thought that there wasn't a player in the draft that could do as much for us as Mike Williams could. However, I had Ronnie as the guy that could the second most for us. They are the two players that could open up our O. Fortunately Saban and Linehan can use Ronnie to wear teams down. Feeley isn't bad and neither are Chambers or Booker.

nah i didn't really want anyone at #2...i wanted either rollie or mike williams after a trade down. i just hate the risk involved with picking that high. but this poll has nothing to do with our draft. reguardless of the draft i'd have to say i'd go with owens over any running back...just my opinion.

thecoordinator said:

What do you do? Spread the field and have LT catch out the backfield. You saying how the D prepares for a guy like LT shows why he is worth more.

Remember when the Vikings had that Randy ratio? They tried to make the best wr in the game the focus of the offense. What happened? the opposing D's were all over him,and the vikings O never looked so bad.

A great wr is nice, but a great rb is the backbone of the entire offense.

A running back can make the O-line looks good and opens up the passing game.

It depends on the player not the position, and the team that player is going to and what system they run, and who are they replacing. Too many other factors for a cut n' dry answer. When we got RW he fixed our running game, but we didn't make the playoffs, like we did the year before.

WharfRat said:
RB- a good RB can control the clock.
TOP is key in winning....

Dangit Wharf, why did you have to steal my brilliant argument? :wink:

Look at it this way, if a RB and a WR have identical superior numbers, say 150 yards gained and three touchdowns, the RB will have had the bigger impact on the game because his production kept his offense in control of the clock and the tempo of the game.

philyphin said:
It depends on the player not the position, and the team that player is going to and what system they run, and who are they replacing. Too many other factors for a cut n' dry answer. When we got RW he fixed our running game, but we didn't make the playoffs, like we did the year before.

That's the coach's fault not ricky's. I though it was amazing of wanny not to make the playoffs with the talent we had on the team while he was here. Ricky runs 1800 yds, we have one of the best defenses, and we DON'T make the playoffs? amazing.

Who is the bigger potential personality problem Ronnie Brown (straight laced squared away young man from Auburn) or Braylon Edwards (bought a $150K Bentley before he was drafted and can't get enough of looking at himself in the mirror)? Who would be the first to fold under the NFL pressure or look for excuses, people to blame and more money? If you don't think this is about personality you haven't seen the Patriots win with no names and professionals who avoid the dark side of PR. I've said before that T.O. and Moss have 0 Super Bowl rings between them. Tom Brady (large butt chin but very cool demeaner) has three. We made the best pick at #2: Ronnie Brown!

thecoordinator said:
generally speaking, who can have the biggest impact on a game?
Generally speaking, It depends on the design of the system. A pass first system will scew the weight towards the Receiver. A run first system will scew the results towards the RB.

A balanced system...like we are, will require that we also use the RB in the passing game. Hense, a star RB will get more touches and draw in the defense for the kill shot over the top.

Sometimes a star WR and RB have and equal impact. Czonka & Warfield were a great combination.

thecoordinator said:
i find it hard to argue there is anyone more valuable to an offense than a randy moss or terrell owens

they were both on teams with NO running game.,..they have how many SB rings? oh yes 0

thecoordinator said:
nah i didn't really want anyone at #2...i wanted either rollie or mike williams after a trade down. i just hate the risk involved with picking that high. but this poll has nothing to do with our draft. reguardless of the draft i'd have to say i'd go with owens over any running back...just my opinion.

What... you stopped touting Moss after I showed he did less that LT?

How's this: *Lamar Smith 12/30/00 INDIANAPOLIS 40 attempts 209 yards 2 touchdowns

First round playoff win in '00 against the Colts... Fiedler was 19-34 for 185 yards, 3 INT, 1 TD.

Our leading receiver was McDuffy with 4 catches 57 yards.

It's easy to pull up stats to argue one positions worth over another... they each contribute.

Besides... Ronnie was said to have just about the best hands in the draft. Better than most of the WRs... not to mention that he actually lined up as a WR on occassion.

He's also rated by most as the best blocker... and oh look at that... he lined up at FB sometimes too.

WR+RB+FB = good value even at #2

DrAstroZoom said:
Dangit Wharf, why did you have to steal my brilliant argument? :wink:

Look at it this way, if a RB and a WR have identical superior numbers, say 150 yards gained and three touchdowns, the RB will have had the bigger impact on the game because his production kept his offense in control of the clock and the tempo of the game.

True but if 2 of the 3 TDs were bombs in the 4th quarter to tie up the game then you could say the WR had a bigger impact.

Back
Top Bottom