poll - should we make a supp draft pick? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

poll - should we make a supp draft pick?

should we make a supplemental draft pick?

• yes

Votes: 81 69.8%
  • no

Votes: 35 30.2%

• Total voters
DolphinDevil28 said:
He's huge and real athletic. We need to do it.

But doesn't he have motivation problems? Saban usually likes high motor guys like Roth. Think he takes a chance on a kid who has the athletic ability but not the passion or discipline?

AHHHH! Why are some of you saying that we would be wasting a pick? Jesus, if we only need to use a 3rd round pick next year, and he is a beast, why not let him develop this year? He's fast, huge, and can learn. Lets do it.

He is likely a 4-3 dt, but not a nose tackle

I don't think this guy is in the mode of a NT, but he would be a 4-3 dt. I think the classic size of a nt is about 6-2 or 3 and 320 plus.

I hope we look at signing the Anderson kid from Kentucky at lb. Not as a draft pick put as a free agent. I don't see him getting drafted, nor do I see the kid from Clemson signed either.

Lee2000

Lee2000 said:
I don't think this guy is in the mode of a NT, but he would be a 4-3 dt. I think the classic size of a nt is about 6-2 or 3 and 320 plus.

I hope we look at signing the Anderson kid from Kentucky at lb. Not as a draft pick put as a free agent. I don't see him getting drafted, nor do I see the kid from Clemson signed either.

Lee2000

can I have some names please? I don't know of too many players who are in the supplemental draft

Lee2000 said:

Lee2000

The guy is incredibly young and with his 6'6 frame and a couple of years of NFL strength and development he'll be around the 320 range he'll be able to play NT down the road.

awing_pilot said:
well we build through the draft, but if we pick him up we will be short a draft pick at the end of this season. Since picks seem so hard to come by for the phins then that part of me says no. I voted no.

He would be the equivalent of a draft pick. Remember all draft picks eventually translate into real players, not potential ones.

FinNasty23 said:
I am just sure that we will be able to find some better value for the pick that we will use for MW in next years draft. Someone always slips... like I said with Poole and Crowder. 2 great examples. This kid is an athlete and all, but I feel it is more like settling just to fill a need, and I am in no hurry to fill every need on this team.

Nasty

true but we need the help this year

The way I view it is we get the player that we need a year early. We get him for a whole year before he costs us a pick. That being said I am not sure about him in the 3rd. He is a physical specimen, but he has hardly any time on the field. We dont know how the year will go, for all we know we could have some key injuries and be right back where we are now. That would cost us another very early 3rd, on the other hand if its a very late 3rd then its alot better deal for us.

I tend to agree with the guy that thinks a 4-7 round pick. A little too risky for a 3rd. 4th round however... I would be more tempted to take a gamble on getting a developmental DT with a chance to become something special down the road.

Using a supplemental draft pick is NOT wasting a pick. Say we use a 4th on him. That means next year will wont have a 4th round pick. big deal , we would have drafted a player with it already and would have aldreay gone through the bumps along the road as a rookie this year. Or we could wait a year and get him , spend most likely a 2nd on him. Getting him would fulfill 2 needs for us 1 depth for this year and 2 younger talent for when our current DT's are cashing in their Social Security chekcs in a few years. And also,he's 6'6" 320lbs with a 4.8 40 time. I think that is almost identical to albert haynesworth and he was a 1st round pick.Wright just need to get some more playing time.

BigBucks24 said:
But doesn't he have motivation problems? Saban usually likes high motor guys like Roth. Think he takes a chance on a kid who has the athletic ability but not the passion or discipline?

Is that really worse than a guy we'd find in the 4th round of next year's draft??

I don't think so.

...and I don't think Nick and the staff would look at a guy who's lazy. That's not his style.

...Supposedly we are looking at him for the supp. draft. So he can't be THAT bad.
I think he'd fit beautifully on this team.

would love to get him for a 4th, but i think at least a 3rd will be needed, plus a team like colts or chiefs, who badly need defense and figure to be drafting late in each round, may just give up a 2nd for him. at 6'6" he seems way to tall to be a NT, but a 4-3 dt or with the 4.8 speed a de in a 3-4. i think with his size and speed and athletic ability he fits the versatile saban type of player. also the fact he has no desire to go to classes doesn't mean he lacks the desire to be a football player. i say put in a 3rd and hope we get him.

PhinDude88 said:
Yes, i think that we need to get Manuel Wright. Wright would be a perfect NT for us in the 3-4 sheme, plus he is young. Our main DT's are old or injured at the moment and it wouldnt hurt to give up a pick for this guy. I think that we should put a 3rd for him.

True, he could also play in a 4-3 defense, which considering Miami will be playing more 4-3 then 3-4, will be very important....I think we should take a shot at this guy, as long as Saban and the scouting believe the same thing, after all they have done more Research on Wright, then anyone here, and know what they need in a DT.

Back
Top Bottom