Pope: "Marino hiring is a smoke screen." | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pope: "Marino hiring is a smoke screen."

Im not going to read anything ed pope has to say. why waste my time? but its good to spread the bad news to people who will absorb it. people like Rick.:lol:

I think the way he portrays Marino is crappy, although he insists that he thinks he's bright. Yet I somewhat agree still with what Pope is trying to say.
Huzienga has done nothing this off season but demote Wannstedt to head coach with input of personal decisions. Nothing more has happened, I am glad the Dolphins brought Marino into the Organization and I think eventually he will do a great job but for right now all Wayne has done is take an old car repainted it, cleaned it up and is selling it as new and improved.

Ed Pope makes a good case in this column. I wouldn't call it crap. It was very well thought out and articulated. And he brings examples to backup what he's saying.

Sometimes the truth hurts. Is this the truth?? I don't know. Part of me doesn't want to believe it. Part of me wants to call a spade a spade. As usual, I'll just sit back and let it all unfold.

But even if Dan WAS hired to be an unsuspecting figurehead, I really wouldn't care. Just having back in the organization makes me feel great. And I suppose that would be the intent.

The article is writen as if Rick Spielman is a boob that needs a dog and pony show (dan marino) to gain legitimacy.

All this negativity is getting old.....and eddie pope is getting older.

Hes right on the money.. Basically it all boils down to this..
Wayne doesnt want a major change in command right now. Wannstedt and Speilman have 2 seasons to get this team to the superbowl with the defense they have, along with the new offensive players they get in the off season. Since wayne has admitted that he doesnt know crap about fooball, he is reluctant on making major decisions on the direction of the football team. So, he wanted someone that does have a great deal of football knowledge - Dan Marino. It doesnt really matter whether or not marino knows the first thing about an 'executive' position. All that matters to wayne is that marino will know if the front office (speilman, wannstedt) is doing what is needed to make this team better and contend for a SB. After two seasons, the dolphins will still be short of the playoffs. By this time, the defense will be too old to contend anymore. marino will then present his opinion on what is wrong with the team. wayne will then release wanny finally, get a new head coach.. and start rebuilding again. its basically a 2 year plan- if it doesnt work out, marino will tell wayne to give the front office the ax.

Originally posted by Section126
The article is writen as if Rick Spielman is a boob that needs a dog and pony show (dan marino) to gain legitimacy.

Well that is true. I have the utmost confidence in Rick Speilman. But part of Marino's hiring was indeed for PR. That can't be denied. People wanted heads to role. And no heads rolled. So simply announcing Rick's promotion might not have flown with alot of people. Hiring Marino is nothing but positive.

Still, Wayne even made mention of how PR won't be a walk in the at first. So it seems like he wasn't necessarily trying to fool everyone.

Originally posted by Jnaledu3
After two seasons, the dolphins will still be short of the playoffs. By this time, the defense will be too old to contend anymore. marino will then present his opinion on what is wrong with the team. wayne will then release wanny finally, get a new head coach.. and start rebuilding again. its basically a 2 year plan- if it doesnt work out, marino will tell wayne to give the front office the ax.

So you have no confidence in this arrangement (Speilman/Wanny)?? You don't believe that with a large upgrade on offense, this team STILL won't be good enough to win 9-10 games?? **9-10 games generally gets you in**

Originally posted by Section126

I think that the way Wayne handled this with Marino being the story of the day made Speilman's promotion look like an after thought. Like he was embarassed that he made this big production bringing in all these top flight GM's only to hire within. Don't get me wrong Speilman will do great as the GM, but the way Huzienga did it made it look like he was announcing Dan as if he was the toy surprise in a cheap box of cereal.

i have confidence in speilman as well.. the only thing that bothers me about it is his relationship with wannstedt. it seems like he worships wannstedt since wanny is the one who brought him here. he may be reluctant to override wanny about personnel because of the respect he has for him, and possible he feels he is indebted to him. this may end of being a conflict of interest. hopefully im wrong, and they accept the roles they are given, putting their personal feelings aside.

Originally posted by Jnaledu3
i have confidence in speilman as well.. the only thing that bothers me about it is his relationship with wannstedt. it seems like he worships wannstedt since wanny is the one who brought him here. he may be reluctant to override wanny about personnel because of the respect he has for him, and possible he feels he is indebted to him. this may end of being a conflict of interest. hopefully im wrong, and they accept the roles they are given, putting their personal feelings aside.

You came dangerously close to the definition of the "Rick Spielman Lap Dog Theory."

But you were okay.....you went to the edge and then stepped back......nice job.:up:

Originally posted by Muck

So you have no confidence in this arrangement (Speilman/Wanny)?? You don't believe that with a large upgrade on offense, this team STILL won't be good enough to win 9-10 games?? **9-10 games generally gets you in**

as of now, no i dont. nothing has happened yet to imply that there will even be a 'large upgrade on offense.' as far as we know, fiedler may even start next year. face it, nothing else has really changed, why should the quarterback position. it is known for sure that this team definitly is in need of a large upgrade, but its too early to assume that they will have one next year or the year after that. also, how will dave and speilman deal with other problems that arise besides the offense? you cant just upgrade one side of the ball and expect everything to work out. dave should know this by now. if things keep going the way they are going, i dont believe they will get in.. until we see some changes, (which we havent yet) we shouldnt assume that this team is going to go to the SB.

I think it is totally obvious and agree with everything in that article.

I am a bit confused though.
What was Rick's title before his promotion to GM?
I read this article in the Sun Sentinal saying that it was the same as what Marino has now.
If that is true.....Rick was demoted to GM??
Sun Sentinal Q&A

In that same article, they say that Dan does NOT have hire and fire power.

WTF? :confused:

Originally posted by T-Bone
I think the way he portrays Marino is crappy, although he insists that he thinks he's bright. Yet I somewhat agree still with what Pope is trying to say.
Huzienga has done nothing this off season but demote Wannstedt to head coach with input of personal decisions. Nothing more has happened, I am glad the Dolphins brought Marino into the Organization and I think eventually he will do a great job but for right now all Wayne has done is take an old car repainted it, cleaned it up and is selling it as new and improved.

Well, if the car only has a small scratch and ding here and there but runs great why send it to the junk yard? We are talking about a top 5 defense and Ricky, Chris and McMichael on offense on a team that won 10 games. If the Pats don't have their fluke season, if mare does his job, we aren't even discussing this much.

We aren't in need of an over haul, not this year. That's why Wayne didn't take many gambles, there's no need to. Not yet.

Back
Top Bottom