Pope: "Marino hiring is a smoke screen." | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pope: "Marino hiring is a smoke screen."

Originally posted by Jnaledu3
i have confidence in speilman as well.. the only thing that bothers me about it is his relationship with wannstedt. it seems like he worships wannstedt since wanny is the one who brought him here. he may be reluctant to override wanny about personnel because of the respect he has for him, and possible he feels he is indebted to him. this may end of being a conflict of interest. hopefully im wrong, and they accept the roles they are given, putting their personal feelings aside.

I think that Rick is probably smart enough to realize that since HE is in charge of personell decisions....he better make the calls himself because if those calls are wrong he's the one that's going to take the fall....HIS career is riding on him making the right choices....I wouldn't think he would put his career in someone elses hand......never know though.....

Originally posted by Muck

Well that is true. I have the utmost confidence in Rick Speilman. But part of Marino's hiring was indeed for PR. That can't be denied. People wanted heads to role. And no heads rolled. So simply announcing Rick's promotion might not have flown with alot of people. Hiring Marino is nothing but positive.

Still, Wayne even made mention of how PR won't be a walk in the at first. So it seems like he wasn't necessarily trying to fool everyone.

Its all almando's fault. he high fived and now wanny stays.

ya know what? i dont care about any of this crap. who should really care what the opinion of a boob who does nothing but pounce on anything that can be turned into a complete negative.

Ill just say this. I dont care what anybody says about what or wasnt done, fact is, fin fans are the worst in the NFL. so it dont matter. they feed right into this crap.

I'm not gonna read the article but I've been sayin all along that this was a smoke screen. Its what I told PFT but they didn't believe me and said so in their rumor mill. Basically if at the beginning of the GM hunt Huizenga would have announced that Spielman is our new GM with final say on all personnel issues, there would have been a firestorm of criticism in Miami from the fans for, as you say taking up this old broken down car, repainting it, and selling it like its new.

But I don't think Marino is going to be just a figurehead. He's going to take over for Eddie Jones' part of the operation. It won't be this year just because Dan needs to learn it directly from Jones. And by the time Jones retires Dan will be Huizenga's advisor on all football aspects of the Miami Dolphins franchise. This is hardly a figurehead position.

What the smoke screen is, is the TIMING of the whole thing. Dan has been sniffing around the front office for a job for quite a while now. I understand that they probably during interviews wanted to see if any of their candidates wanted some of Eddie Jones' power or the title of head of all football operations...so they probably thought they needed to delay Dan's hiring until after they knew what powers they were going to give the GM...but they didn't need to announce it at the same time as Spielman and indeed just outright trump Spielman's hiring.

They knew exactly what they were doing announcing Marino's hiring at the same time as Spielman's.

Originally posted by bigmiamifan

Well, if the car only has a small scratch and ding here and there but runs great why send it to the junk yard? We are talking about a top 5 defense and Ricky, Chris and McMichael on offense on a team that won 10 games. If the Pats don't have their fluke season, if mare does his job, we aren't even discussing this much.

We aren't in need of an over haul, not this year. That's why Wayne didn't take many gambles, there's no need to. Not yet.
\

We have been close for a while now, so close that we don't even make the playoffs.

I am not saying we don't have talent on the field, it's how the team is run is why we are like a "chop shop".

I agree that we don't need much more than a few "fixes" which are without a doubt the O-Line, QB & another Reciever. Once we address these areas there is no reason we don't make the playoffs next year.

Back
Top Bottom