Possession Receiver | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Possession Receiver

DolphinzD

Boom!! How you like that??
Reaction score
Since Norv Turner likes to incorporate the same general style into our offense that he used with the Cowboys (with some differences, of course) who is going to be used as the Michael Irvin-like big, possession receiver this year? It seemed to be Gadsden last year until he got hurt, and Chambers kind of moved into that role. But Chambers and McKnight are both speed guys, so they can also be thrown to down the field (which I personally think we should do more of). So will Chambers be possession sometimes, and a deep threat sometimes? Or is McMichael the main possession guy? I cringe at the thought of McKnight being used primarily as a possession receiver.

exactly my thought, Randy would be a good choice... another thing, we don't know how Donald Lee is going to fit into this offense... he was under-used in college, and may be able to take "normal" TE duties, allowing Randy to play kind of a WR/TE role...

Another thing: we have, in Konrad, a FB who has very good hands, can get seperation from LBs and who lines up as a TE in some of Norv's formations...

Imagine this... we line up with Chambers and Thompson... Randy in the slot... Konrad as a TE, Ricky alone in the backfield, with Fiedler in the shotgun... Where the hell is the ball going??? I'm hoping a lot of defensive coordinators are gonna be asking themselves the same question... Now, imagine the hurry up offense with these guys, you have a power running game and an effective passing game all rolled into one, with no need for substitutions... simply change the formation a bit, you can run and throw with little need for ANY adjustment...

Yes, I am ready for some football...

Originally posted by T-ROCK

Imagine this... we line up with Chambers and Thompson... Randy in the slot... Konrad as a TE, Ricky alone in the backfield, with Fiedler in the shotgun... Where the hell is the ball going???

Holy Crap!! That gave me goosebumps!!

Originally posted by WharfRat
I think they're hoping Thompson can fill that role....

I agree...and I think he will fill that role. Chambers will go back to being the deep threat. McKnight will come in when we go to a 3-wide formation, but he will not necessarily play in the slot. We'll shift the 3 WRs around plenty in that formation.

Mcknight will be everything BUT a possession receiver...
With his speed we would be wise to leave him outside...
As a possesion receiver we have numerous options...
My first option would be Thompson..Big and strong he is of today our 3rd receiver and should line up inside..
This Tolver kid has got great hands coupled with precise route running he could turn out to be the solution...
I'd love to see a guy like Travis Minor who's got golden hands line up in the backfield then switch to the slot...Minor versus an LB in coverage could be ugly..
OG is always an option to bring back....
As much as it would be interesting i'd rather have Randy learn and get better as a TE...He's only a sophomore and still learning...

You know what would really give me goosbumps though...:eek:
Lucas behind center...out wide...Dedric Ward and Cris Carter...in the slot Jay Riemersma (this one's for you buffman)

:cry: :cry: :fire:

Sometimes I think we get a little caught up in roles and models. I mean, Michael Irvin was a great receiver, a true #1 who should end up in the hall of fame one day despite his past incidents involving the law. As such, as a true #1 and a great WR you can't pidgeon-hole him as just a big tough possession WR. He could basically be used however you wanted. The guy made a TON of big plays man. Just because a receiver doesn't run under 4.4 in the 40 doesn't mean the dude wasn't going deep and getting the ball. Thats one misconception about Gadsden. OG in 98 and 99 was a big play receiver. He went WAAY down field, Marino would loft the ball up, and OG would go get it. How is this really any different from what Chris Chambers was doing most of the time his rookie year because Fiedler wasn't hitting him in stride? Fiedler was underthrowing a lot of those balls and Chambers would just go up and get it.

So I don't know that its fair to say "who is Michael Irvin" on our offense and who is Alvin Harper or whatever. We don't have Michael Irvin, who could do it all. We have Chris Chambers, who we hope turns out to be a guy who can do it all anywhere on the field with any type of route, muscling the ball and flying downfield with speed. He has that ability its just got to start clicking with him taking DBs out of their comfort zone. From their Norv Turner's worked with all types of more incomplete guys...from Alvin Harper and Albert Connell to Michael Westbrook and James Thrash.

Bottom line with our receivers wont be "what type of guy is he" to fill what role, but more "can he play." Contrary to popular belief, the receivers weren't getting much play even BEFORE Fiedler went down and before Oronde went down. I think thats in part because Chambers wasn't ready (remember he spent a good part of camps still fightin the injury he ended his rookie year with) which hopefully he will be this year, and partly because we attempted to take a part-time role player and turn him into a starter with Oronde. I think when J-Mac got in there he started performing like a starter in Norv's system can perform, and whether we go with J-Mac or Derrius Thompson I'm confident that this year not only will Chambers reach over 1000 yards but provided his parter on the other side stays healthy, the 2nd WR should come CLOSE to getting 1000 yards.

JM was on pace to come very close to 1000 yards for the games that he started if you project it out to 16 games. The fact that it still was not enough reflects on our missing a true #1 WR, and Jay Fiedler not getting back on track with R-Mac, who also was battling some injuries that slowed him down considerably.

If Chambers gets to 1000 yards, he'll be ahead of Michael Irvin's progress. Irvin caught 32, 26, and 20 passes his first three seasons before exploding in his fourth year with 93-1,523-8 TDs. It should be noted, however, that Irvin averaged 18.4 ypc and had 12 TDs in those first 3 years (32 games, torn ACL in year two/part of year three).

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by T-ROCK Imagine this... we line up with Chambers and Thompson... Randy in the slot... Konrad as a TE, Ricky alone in the backfield, with Fiedler in the shotgun... Where the hell is the ball going??? I'm hoping a lot of defensive coordinators are gonna be asking themselves the same question... Now, imagine the hurry up offense with these guys, you have a power running game and an effective passing game all rolled into one, with no need for substitutions... simply change the formation a bit, you can run and throw with little need for ANY adjustment...

Yes, I am ready for some football... [/B]
The other dimension to the formation is the possibility that Fiedler uses the QB draw.

I think that Thopmson or Tolver could be the posesion receiver. Tolver has probably the best hands of any of our WR's imo.

Originally posted by Miamian
The other dimension to the formation is the possibility that Fiedler uses the QB draw.

That could be a deadly formation, particularly in the no huddle, throw in the inside handoff to RW, watch him bounce outside and have nothing but DB's to contend with.

Thompson was brought in specifically to take Gadsdens place. Big player, solid hands...but actually has the feet to make a few YAC's, unlike Oronde. I see him in the exact same role OG played here. Further, while out TE's, and FB's may also fill some of that role, I just don't see Konrad going up for the ball in the middle of the field. McMichael maybe, but that's about it.

Back
Top Bottom